Cozumel to Playa del carmen

Buranogal

I have taken a ferry many times from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel while staying at Playa Del Carmen. What specifically is your question? Are you wondering if you'd have enough time? Rides take about 45 minutes each way. Here is a ferry schedule you can check when it's closer to your cruise time.

Many times. As OP said, it takes about 45 minutes each way. It's a nice trip and you can get the ferry close by to where the ships dock. It's very nice over there .... pretty streets, nice shops and sidewalk cafes, etc. There is also a small beach over there where the ferry docks. Good time! :)

Lrg pizza thankyou for reply..Yes I am wondering if we had enough time thats why I said we dock from 8am to 5pm..or do you think there are better options for Cozumel? Its soo hard to decide what to do where..we are doing 37 nights Miami to Alaska..cheers Liz

Lrg pizza thankyou for reply..Yes I am wondering if we had enough time thats why I said we dock from 8am to 5pm..or do you think there are better options for Cozumel? Its soo hard to decide what to do where..we are doing 37 nights Miami to Alaska..cheers Liz

If your a shopper or a party-er you can just hang in Coz. by the dock. If you are a beach person take one of the thousands of cabs to one of the beaches and drink, eat, swim or chill out.

Playa Del Carmen is a more laid back with a pedestrian only avenue (5th Avenue). Shops, restaurants and cool places to see. It is easy to do the ferry. Just allow a little more time coming back in case the ferry is late...which does happen sometimes.

This link will show you 5th ave.

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/the-best-of-playa-del-carmen-a-walk-down-5th-avenue

37 days.....can't imagine that.... have fun:)

You have lots of time. Agree with OP, allow extra time on the way back, just in case, but we've done it many times and really enjoyed it. Also, as OPs said, there are many other options. We've walked around the square right by the dock .... very pretty and relaxing as well. Once we actually rented a car and went exploring and to a lovely beach (they are all beautiful), although with times as they are I'm not sure I'd do the car rental these days, but as suggested, a cab is an option too. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Happy Sailing! :)

I guess I'm a chicken. I'd never consider doing that on our own. What if the seas got rough and the ferry couldn't make it back? For that matter, my DH got terribly seasick on that same ferry on a Princess tour to Tulum.

Sorry, I'm sure plenty of people do it every cruise.

Well, when we stayed at Playa Del Carmen, we would ferry to Cozumel. So I guess if I was at Cozumel, I'd just stay there. Know what I mean? Much more to do and see at Cozumel than at Playa Del Carmen. When we would visit, Playa Del Carmen was just a small, barely built-up beach town. It's since grown tremendously and gotten the typical fast food chains, and USA owned tourist trap chains (Senior Frogs, etc.) and become just another Cancun. Unless you plan to travel from there to visit ruins, etc., there is nothing to see that you can't see at Cozumel.

Re Cozumel many thanks all for you valuable input..much appreciated...now to decide..some said the street hawkers drive you crazy so maybe thats why I tended to look at somewhere not so busy cheers from Tasmania

I would not chance this. I have been in Cozumel many times when they suddenly closed the port because of high winds/waves. What would you do if they did this and you were stuck on the mainland?

Has anyone got a ferry to Playa del Carmen when they have visited Cozumel for a day? Coming off NCL Pearl April 15th 8.00am to 5pm..

I've never visited Mexico via cruise ship, however, I spent 14 nights in Playa two years ago and cannot say enough amazing things about that little town. During our time there, we did take the ferry to Cozumel one day (like others said, about a 40-45 minute indoor airconditioned ride with a cash bar) and had a nice time there- we rented scooters and swam with dolphins for a great price at Chankanaab Park (which is a fun suggestion if you DO stay in Cozumel. BUT- I would definitely say make your way to Playa if you can!) Right off the ferry is an awesome little beautiful beach. 5th ave, also right off the ferry can keep you occupied for hours. If you go you MUST stop at Carboncitos for salsa, tacos, and margaritas. Its less than a half mile walk from the ferry exit. If you decide to go there and need any help planning your day there, let me know, Im pretty sure in our two weeks there we covered just about everything!

Enjoy! I must say how jealous I am- I've been missing Playa like crazy lately- but that's probably thanks to all of this snow! ;)

Edited by jacqueline926

Thankyou Jacqueline for reply..this port is one of a 37 night cruise :) Im a little concerned now after seeing the weather may hinder our return :(

37 days, wow you are lucky! A cruise like that will certainly be on my bucket list - that's amazing - have a blast!! :D

As far as what other are saying about the ferry closing, during the two weeks I was there, we did not see it closed once, even during thunderstorms. I suppose if there was a hurricane or insanely strong winds, then they may close, but this would be something you could simply look at the forecast and predict. If you're that concerned, maybe even call them or talk to them over on the Cozumel side and see if there is even a possibility that they may close early. I think that if youre smart about it and keep those things in mind, as long as there is no storm, I wouldnt miss out on a chance to go to Playa.

Just my two cents :) Regardless of where you go though, you'll have a great time!

We took the ferry last time we were there. The ferry is large and I would think the weather would have to be pretty bad for them to cancel.

Actually, I was glad we did it on our own rather than booking a tour because I thought if the weather looks bad in the morning we don't have to go. Whereas if you're on a tour, as long as the ferry is running, they go. And I've read some reviews of people being very seasick.:eek:

Jacqueline and Mafig somehow this reply looks different to the others..Feel for you copping the snow. Im glad my request has reminded you of warm happy days :) We have to drive 2 hours in our winter to see it :) I dont like cold..Have either of you been to Belize? Mafig..my two cents worth lol..Loved Celebrity Silhouette Rome to Venice..just saying..I work to travel..hope to remember to get back to you jacqueline to let you know my thoughts upon return...your turn to trip next..

37 days, wow you are lucky! A cruise like that will certainly be on my bucket list - that's amazing - have a blast!! :D

As far as what other are saying about the ferry closing, during the two weeks I was there, we did not see it closed once, even during thunderstorms. I suppose if there was a hurricane or insanely strong winds, then they may close, but this would be something you could simply look at the forecast and predict. If you're that concerned, maybe even call them or talk to them over on the Cozumel side and see if there is even a possibility that they may close early. I think that if youre smart about it and keep those things in mind, as long as there is no storm, I wouldnt miss out on a chance to go to Playa.

Just my two cents :) Regardless of where you go though, you'll have a great time!