Nude Cruises - Nieuw Amsterdam

MGH521

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam last week and just heard that the week before was a nude cruise. How does this work? Is everyone nude throughout the ship? Do they have the same entertainers? Just curious!

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam last week and just heard that the week before was a nude cruise. How does this work? Is everyone nude throughout the ship? Do they have the same entertainers? Just curious!

Nude cruises are always private charters and can only be booked through the entity that sponsors such a cruise. No guest on board would be surprised to find they are on a nude cruise.

All private charters have the option to bring their own entertainment/performers upon approval from the cruise line.

Nude cruises are always private charters and can only be booked through the entity that sponsors such a cruise. No guest on board would be surprised to find they are on a nude cruise.

All private charters have the option to bring their own entertainment/performers upon approval from the cruise line.

I think the "Barenaked Ladies" would be the obvious choice :D

As sail said -- these are charter cruises. I think this one was people who booked through Bare Necessities.

We happen to get on a cruise a few years ago after one of these nude cruises and the staff told us that they try to cover the chairs in the dining room and lounges as much as possible to cut down on the cleaning after they leave the ship - just in case anyone had an accident.

You can read about that cruise at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990136

I read somewhere here yesterday they have to wear clothes in MDR and at Captain's party. I have also read somewhere on here they are supposed to walk around with a towel to sit on. I sure would not want to travel the week following a nude cruise. Wonder how much muck would show up under black light???????:eek::eek::eek:

I read somewhere here yesterday they have to wear clothes in MDR and at Captain's party. I have also read somewhere on here they are supposed to walk around with a towel to sit on. I sure would not want to travel the week following a nude cruise. Wonder how much muck would show up under black light???????:eek::eek::eek:

I think you are right about clothes required in MDR.

The ship supplies stacks of towels in public venues for nude guests to sit on and it has been posted here that most of the cruisers are very good about policing each other if someone forgets to put their towel down before sitting.

We were on the cruise following the clothing optional charter. The crew was very respectful and professional when fielding some rather direct questions from some passengers. From what I understood, the captain required clothing in the dining and indoor venues. People were vigilant and consistent in using towels on shared outdoor furnishings and the laundry was kept quite busy in laundering an unusually large number of towels that cruise. Not a choice I am personally drawn to, but I don't get being indoors playing bridge on a cruise either. Live and let live, I guess. We were 30 minutes late in boarding to allow for some extra cleaning according to one crew member. Accurate or not, I can't say. Ours was a wonderful cruise!

I would think that the light treatment would show stuff in various places in your cabins after any cruise. (According to my BIL, a police detective) Various DNA samples can be found in numerous places.

Cowprincess, if it is a certain male poster, that's his usual schtick. You can click on the ignore feature.

Edited by 496and706

We were on the cruise following the clothing optional charter. The crew was very respectful and professional when fielding some rather direct questions from some passengers. From what I understood, the captain required clothing in the dining and indoor venues. People were vigilant and consistent in using towels on shared outdoor furnishings and the laundry was kept quite busy in laundering an unusually large number of towels that cruise. Not a choice I am personally drawn to, but I don't get being indoors playing bridge on a cruise either. Live and let live, I guess. We were 30 minutes late in boarding to allow for some extra cleaning according to one crew member. Accurate or not, I can't say. Ours was a wonderful cruise!

Bolding mine

I agree, there are lots of things that people do that in no way appeal to me or affect me or anyone else. "Live and let live" is a good attitude :)

Edited by CowPrincess

John, Have you ever been on a "security detail" on one of these type of charter cruises?

I am sure security staff would treat it like any other cruise.Of course an under cover detail might be a little different for them....in which case they could just call it a without cover detail.;)

I think it would glorious to walk the promenade textile free....but unfortunately no one else could be on the ship... 'cept Lee he could come..and we'd have to be way out to sea with no helicopters.

I will never know the adventure of a nude cruise but do admire their courage and kinda envy their freedom.:)

I would be more concerned with your cabin. People were probably naked in there and doing the nasty in the bed you slept on.

I would be more concerned with your cabin. People were probably naked in there and doing the nasty in the bed you slept on.

And those towels they sit on? Guess what - HAL doesn't throw them out after the nude cruise, nope. They end up in your bathroom on the next cruise. The laundry might think they look so clean they don't even need to be washed:p:eek:

Chill out folks, germs are a part of life. They're everywhere. Your body expects to contact some of them and has its ways of combating them.

I really don't understand your logic...a clothing optional charter belongs just as much as any other charter, whether it be bikers, church ladies, gays, or jazz aficionados! HAL is a business, and as a stockholder, I'm glad they book the occasional very lucrative charter. Just because something isn't part of my lifestyle, I don't think I have the right to judge those who have an alternate lifestyle or enjoy different things.

Excellent point from a stockholder point of view. From all reports the passengers on this sailing are everyday folks just like me except they like to sit around the pool sans clothing. It's not for me, I'm too modest and I like clothes too much, but live and let live, no one is being harmed.

But crew members stated that they were given the opportunity to opt out of this sailing should they choose at no penalty. I definitely got the impression that the captain was not hesitant to set and enforce strict guidelines and that passengers adhered to without difficulty. Again, second and third party reporting. No judgement, just reporting.

I think you are right about clothes required in MDR.

The ship supplies stacks of towels in public venues for nude guests to sit on and it has been posted here that most of the cruisers are very good about policing each other if someone forgets to put their towel down before sitting.

I think clothing is required in any of the dining venues. Lido included.

Since the Holland America crew is mainly populated with employees from countries with modest cultures and Muslim beliefs - this "nude cruise" nonsense is totally inappropriate from that perspective alone. Remember this is still their work place

A workplace that every.single.one of them CHOSE to work in, and most seem quite happy to do so. If a nude cruise bothers them so much, they are free to choose another job.

A workplace that every.single.one of them CHOSE to work in, and most seem quite happy to do so. If a nude cruise bothers them so much, they are free to choose another job.

Crew members are advised of the type of charter beforehand. They are free to skip the charter if it bothers them.

Most will tolerate it. It is work, and beats not working.

I have a question for those of you who are against a clothing optional charter...are you against all charters?

Unless the proposal by a charter group is illegal, there is no reason for HAL to decline the contract, and to do so could open them up to other (legal and/or public opinion) problems. In HAL's eyes, there's no difference between this charter and any other special interest group they charter space or a ship to.

Edited by Cindy

Why can't a cruise ship pick and choose which charters they wish to book? Hotel do it all the time. The choose which conventions they accept and which not. They choose which privat parties to book and which not.

Since the Holland America crew is mainly populated with employees from countries with modest cultures and Muslim beliefs - this "nude cruise" nonsense is totally inappropriate from that perspective alone. Remember this is still their work place and what is so wrong with their employer respecting their standards? In Western cultures, we don't expand "casual Friday" to allow people to show up in their birthday suit and to walk around with the genitals on display. We don't even allow a suggestive poster to be anywhere in sight in the workplace- and rightly so if people find it offensive. When did modesty become so repugnant and nudity become so fashionable?

It seems obnoxious to me that some sweet girl from the Philippines or Indonesia is forced to work in the bar and serve a drink to some guy with his privates hanging out because Holland America, or any cruise line for that matter, decides the rights of the crew mean absolutely nothing. And no, they can't easily leave the cruise if they wish nor should they.

Since this came up several weeks ago, I have expressed my opinion to Holland America and intend to do so again, and again until they realize how unfair this is. The sun shines everywhere in the world - find another place to expose yourself other than walking around the interior of a cruise ship with people who don't think your body is "beautiful and natural." I suspect they could care less about your "social statement."

What's wrong with simply confining the clothes optional aspect to certain outside decks that allow re-scheduling workers and give them options. How conventional and archaic of me to think that wearing clothes in front of others who may be offended by nudity could be offensive. How hypocritical of you few.

Richard think you should get your facts straight!

First of all not all of the crew is of the Muslim belief..There are between 10 million & 18 million Hindus in Indonesia and Buddhism is also widely practiced.. There are 6 official religions in Indonesia including Protestants, Roman Catholics, Islamists, Hindus, Buddists & Confucianism..

Indonesian law states that all citizens must hold an identity card stating one of the six religions..T hey are also permitted to leave it blank.. Take a look at the religious map of Indonesia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Religious_map_of_Indonesia.jpg

Also, every crew member on HAL is given the opportunity to not work a clothing optional cruise.. Most of the crew from the Phillippines is of the Christian faith.. None of the crew are forced to work on those cruises.. They are given the option & can be transferred to another HAL ship if they so desire..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499