Divina extreme reviews, is it the Divina, or the Reviewers!

American Bear

Well at least the bacon wasn't raw!

Question: What is drawn butter? Never heard of it and this is the scone poster that has been horrified by its absence. Is it just melted butter, or clarified butter or ghee, Beurre Blanc or more of a sauce with a lot of butter in it?

Another question, do other cruiselines provide a visa service? I've never thought of using a cruiseline to help me get a visa, unless it is where there are local arrangements where all passengers calling at a port for a day are covered by a a visa arrangement. I've always just dealt direct with the consulate of the country I need a visit for or use a visa service.

Another question, do other cruiselines provide a visa service? I've never thought of using a cruiseline to help me get a visa, unless it is where there are local arrangements where all passengers calling at a port for a day are covered by a a visa arrangement. I've always just dealt direct with the consulate of the country I need a visit for or use a visa service.

MSC clearly states:

"For both security and immigration purposes, each guest is responsible for identifying, securing, and presenting all required travel documents for boarding the ship in the country in which they will embark including a VALID passport and any visas required for the cruise itinerary. Please note that each guest is responsible for securing any necessary visas and immunisations.

Please Note: MSC is not responsible for advising guests of required travel documents or of travel advisories. Guests who fail to have the required documents for vessel security and immigration will be denied boarding and such guests shall not be entitled to any refund nor shall MSC Cruises have any further liability to such guests."

Some folks have brought up some good points here, and I'd like to clarify some things.

First off, drawn butter is melted butter but with the fat drawn off of the top. Second, maybe they hadn't actually cleaned the pool in DAYS. But it was ripe. In fairness, I'd stated that I've seen that on other cruise lines as well.

The VISA issue: My Visa was maxed out over my credit line, but they wouldn't just push the transaction through anyway, so I had a problem booking the cruise! Just kidding. We're talking about a Brazilian Visa.

Despite using a visa expediter and applying for my visa far in advance, things just didn't work out in getting my visa in time for the sailing. Namely, the Brazilian consulate went on strike for a few days because they didn't appreciate the increased workload that they've incurred because of the World Cup crowd coming to visit. So this was my problem, and I'll take full ownership of it.

I called MSC and asked if If I could board in Miami without the Brazilian Visa. I explained that the visa was going to be Fedexed on Monday, May 19, the day of sailing. The answer was a resounding and rude NO! Why not? Just because!

In a small state of concern, I sought to get the attention of someone higher up in the company who might be able to explain the policy and procedure. After all, the first two stops -San Juan and Charlotte Amalie- were on US soil. If I wasn't in possession of the visa by that time, I'd be happy to leave the ship, get my passport, and catch up later. However, I could never get past the most basic, bottom-tier level customer service rep.

Well, my calls and emails to the higher-ups went ignored, and this really rubbed me wrong. This seemed like a very basic issue and problem to me, one that evidently a bunch of fellow passengers were experiencing. As an employee in the travel industry myself, I can go on and on as to how this is a massive customer service failure. But I won't. If you are having issues on my turf, I will explain things clearly to you and try to get the necessary assistance to make things work out. I will do my best, which is pretty damn good. There may have been a perfectly legitimate reason other than corporate laziness why we couldn't board in Miami. But an excuse was never offered, an explanation never given. So I'm under the impression that once they have your cruise money, they really don't care if you show up! If you are in the hospitality business, you might want to care. Just sayin'. BTW, I'm neither in the cruise nor hotel business.

Before some of you think I'm being completely unreasonable with wanting to board in Miami, consider this: The Divina wasn't set to hit Brazilian soil until day 17 of the cruise. That would give the cruise company 17 days before landfall to offer Brazil a passenger declaration. In contrast, I can buy an airline ticket to Brazil right now, and the Brazilian authorities will be given the passenger declaration only hours before my arrival. The whole thing just speaks of corporate cluelessness or laziness.

Having stayed at hotels around the world, when I've had "impossible" issues that I've needed help with, the staff made things happen and have been eager to please. MSC Miami did not give me this vibe. Obviously, or I wouldn't be typing this! I DO know that RCCL would have escalated my issue to the appropriate management and given a fair explanation, wether I liked the answer or not. In fairness, I've had some issues with RCCL as well.

So I changed plane tickets, got a hotel in San Juan, and waited for the ship. That cost me more than the entire cruise.

And once on the ship, I was underwhelmed, that's all. I just got a cruise critic email today showing the winners of the Top Ships For Dining. RCCL pretty much swept the competition, so I guess I've been spoiled. MSC is not on any of the lists. It IS apparent from reading previous posts regarding the Divina, that there is a serious food problem on the ship. Wanting to give constructive criticism, I'd say it's there's a problem with the menu, preparation, and quality of ingredients. It appears that in order to save a buck substandard ingredients are being used. That shows. And a talented chef can only do so much with it.

In perusing several previous pages on this forum, I've noticed some people say, "Hey, I didn't have to cook! It's good enough for me!" My standards are a bit higher than that. Though I'm not hard to please. I'm not a Motel 6 kind of a guy, nor Four Seasons. The Hilton is fine. The food and pre-cruise customer service on the Divina was sub-Motel 6.

The folks at MSC will look at my post and think that they have a certain niche that they cater to and everything is fine. OR they will take my post and others like it and take it as a challenge to do better. Like I said earlier, many of us were wondering if this is a company that wants to stay in business? Or maybe they're content to cater to Motel 6 crowd, and the Motel 6 crowd is content to sail MSC. I guess I was expecting a nice European experience, and I was wrong to have the expectations that I had. Again, my bad.

In my original comments I sought to give praise where praise was due. I stated that the the ship was very clean. It's also in good shape, and the drinks are generous. But given all that I know now, I probably would have just let that ship sail without me and not jumped through all of the hoops necessary to catch up. I can't recommend it to anyone as well. Was it The Cruise From Hell? Certainly not. But I won't be "gracing" the decks of an MSC ship any time soon.

I suppose that I was asking for harsh criticism and feedback when I told everyone to get their flamethrowers out. Sorry. I do hope that this post is more in line with what Cruise Critic is all about.

Some folks have brought up some good points here, and I'd like to clarify some things.

First off, drawn butter is melted butter but with the fat drawn off of the top. Second, maybe they hadn't actually cleaned the pool in DAYS. But it was ripe. In fairness, I'd stated that I've seen that on other cruise lines as well.

The VISA issue: My Visa was maxed out over my credit line, but they wouldn't just push the transaction through anyway, so I had a problem booking the cruise! Just kidding. We're talking about a Brazilian Visa.

Despite using a visa expediter and applying for my visa far in advance, things just didn't work out in getting my visa in time for the sailing. Namely, the Brazilian consulate went on strike for a few days because they didn't appreciate the increased workload that they've incurred because of the World Cup crowd coming to visit. So this was my problem, and I'll take full ownership of it.

I called MSC and asked if If I could board in Miami without the Brazilian Visa. I explained that the visa was going to be Fedexed on Monday, May 19, the day of sailing. The answer was a resounding and rude NO! Why not? Just because!

In a small state of concern, I sought to get the attention of someone higher up in the company who might be able to explain the policy and procedure. After all, the first two stops -San Juan and Charlotte Amalie- were on US soil. If I wasn't in possession of the visa by that time, I'd be happy to leave the ship, get my passport, and catch up later. However, I could never get past the most basic, bottom-tier level customer service rep.

Well, my calls and emails to the higher-ups went ignored, and this really rubbed me wrong. This seemed like a very basic issue and problem to me, one that evidently a bunch of fellow passengers were experiencing. As an employee in the travel industry myself, I can go on and on as to how this is a massive customer service failure. But I won't. If you are having issues on my turf, I will explain things clearly to you and try to get the necessary assistance to make things work out. I will do my best, which is pretty damn good. There may have been a perfectly legitimate reason other than corporate laziness why we couldn't board in Miami. But an excuse was never offered, an explanation never given. So I'm under the impression that once they have your cruise money, they really don't care if you show up! If you are in the hospitality business, you might want to care. Just sayin'. BTW, I'm neither in the cruise nor hotel business.

Before some of you think I'm being completely unreasonable with wanting to board in Miami, consider this: The Divina wasn't set to hit Brazilian soil until day 17 of the cruise. That would give the cruise company 17 days before landfall to offer Brazil a passenger declaration. In contrast, I can buy an airline ticket to Brazil right now, and the Brazilian authorities will be given the passenger declaration only hours before my arrival. The whole thing just speaks of corporate cluelessness or laziness.

Having stayed at hotels around the world, when I've had "impossible" issues that I've needed help with, the staff made things happen and have been eager to please. MSC Miami did not give me this vibe. Obviously, or I wouldn't be typing this! I DO know that RCCL would have escalated my issue to the appropriate management and given a fair explanation, wether I liked the answer or not. In fairness, I've had some issues with RCCL as well.

So I changed plane tickets, got a hotel in San Juan, and waited for the ship. That cost me more than the entire cruise.

And once on the ship, I was underwhelmed, that's all. I just got a cruise critic email today showing the winners of the Top Ships For Dining. RCCL pretty much swept the competition, so I guess I've been spoiled. MSC is not on any of the lists. It IS apparent from reading previous posts regarding the Divina, that there is a serious food problem on the ship. Wanting to give constructive criticism, I'd say it's there's a problem with the menu, preparation, and quality of ingredients. It appears that in order to save a buck substandard ingredients are being used. That shows. And a talented chef can only do so much with it.

In perusing several previous pages on this forum, I've noticed some people say, "Hey, I didn't have to cook! It's good enough for me!" My standards are a bit higher than that. Though I'm not hard to please. I'm not a Motel 6 kind of a guy, nor Four Seasons. The Hilton is fine. The food and pre-cruise customer service on the Divina was sub-Motel 6.

The folks at MSC will look at my post and think that they have a certain niche that they cater to and everything is fine. OR they will take my post and others like it and take it as a challenge to do better. Like I said earlier, many of us were wondering if this is a company that wants to stay in business? Or maybe they're content to cater to Motel 6 crowd, and the Motel 6 crowd is content to sail MSC. I guess I was expecting a nice European experience, and I was wrong to have the expectations that I had. Again, my bad.

In my original comments I sought to give praise where praise was due. I stated that the the ship was very clean. It's also in good shape, and the drinks are generous. But given all that I know now, I probably would have just let that ship sail without me and not jumped through all of the hoops necessary to catch up. I can't recommend it to anyone as well. Was it The Cruise From Hell? Certainly not. But I won't be "gracing" the decks of an MSC ship any time soon.

I suppose that I was asking for harsh criticism and feedback when I told everyone to get their flamethrowers out. Sorry. I do hope that this post is more in line with what Cruise Critic is all about.

Your comments about your experience once on board are fair and have been written elsewhere and I thank you for clarifying them (see what I did there? :))

However I'm going to have to disagree strongly with your argument that MSC should have bent/broken rules and procedure re: your visa for what is essentially a "special snowflake whinge" as I like to call it. You weren't being unreasonable. You were actually attempting to break the law. I can't come to your country without arranging an ETSA before I leave my own. What makes you different or better than me? Nothing, that's what.

You were told no and (rude manner or not) you should have listened up. I work in an environment where customers all day long try and bend the rules, get something more than they're entitled to and then whine asking for "management" when they're told no. Back when I was a nipper, no meant no. Not "no until I hold my breath and count to 100 then it becomes a bent over backwards yes". Your petulance on not hearing the no become a yes leaps off the page. You're still not over the fact that MSC wouldn't let you break the law, and the excuses you give are laughable.

I urge you (and anyone else that fancies it) to read this article and get enlightened. Too many people extract the urine with customer service folk and the entitled grandstanding customer is always right expectation needs to stop.

http://www.strativity.com/cem-topic/the-customer-is-not-always-right/

Motel 6. lol. I guess I would say that RCCL buffets are Motel 6 brand of late.

Food is subjective and I will say all of the mainstream cruise line food is all basically cater food. If you notice the best food now is in the pay restaurants. I do not judge food on the cruiselines anymore it does not even come close to what was served 10 years ago when I first stared cruising. The dining room is decent enough not great not the worst. As I just did an RCCL Indy crossing for 13 nights I ate in the dining room three times.

As for the Visa they have every right to say NO about boarding in Miami. you were frustrated already because the Visa still did not come in and you took part of your frustration out on MSC. I seen it. I done it something similiar myself and I was wrong. They clearly state as all cruise lines do, you need to have everything in hand prior to boarding.

Not that MSC didn't play a part in where they could have come out with a better suggestion from the first CSR right away by saying if you have your paperwork, you can board in San Juan or at least find out if you can or not. You are not allowed to enter the country without a Visa and why should the cruiseline be responsible.

Brazil requires U.S. citizens to carry a valid U.S. passport and visa when traveling to Brazil for any purpose. You must obtain your Brazilian visa in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate nearest to your place of residence in the United States. There are no "airport visas" and immigration authorities will refuse entry into Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa."

Call RCCL/ Celebrity and you can get 3 different answers for the same question. CSR is never perfect as its always a high turnover jobs.

Edited by Bosjoe

Your comments about your experience once on board are fair and have been written elsewhere and I thank you for clarifying them (see what I did there? :))

However I'm going to have to disagree strongly with your argument that MSC should have bent/broken rules and procedure re: your visa for what is essentially a "special snowflake whinge" as I like to call it. You weren't being unreasonable. You were actually attempting to break the law. I can't come to your country without arranging an ETSA before I leave my own. What makes you different or better than me? Nothing, that's what.

You were told no and (rude manner or not) you should have listened up. I work in an environment where customers all day long try and bend the rules, get something more than they're entitled to and then whine asking for "management" when they're told no. Back when I was a nipper, no meant no. Not "no until I hold my breath and count to 100 then it becomes a bent over backwards yes". Your petulance on not hearing the no become a yes leaps off the page. You're still not over the fact that MSC wouldn't let you break the law, and the excuses you give are laughable.

I urge you (and anyone else that fancies it) to read this article and get enlightened. Too many people extract the urine with customer service folk and the entitled grandstanding customer is always right expectation needs to stop.

http://www.strativity.com/cem-topic/the-customer-is-not-always-right/

Maybe before accusing me of breaking a law, you should know what the law is. Shrill often? Calls to US customs, the Brazilian consulate, the passport expediting service, and yes, RCCL, all were informative in providing information that showed that boarding in Miami would have broken no laws whatsoever. What is clear is that I'd better have the visa before getting to Brazil, or I'd be in big trouble. However, your entire argument hinges on the fact that I was trying to break the law, which is pure poppycock. Did I ask for special treatment based on special circumstances? Why yes I did. How dare I!

Again, how is it possible that I can buy a plane ticket to RIO leaving in two hours and board, yet for MSC 17 days advanced notice is an inconvenience?

Based on a post above, however, it would have been against corporate policy. It would have been nice of an MSC rep to give me guidance to the whereabouts of such written policy instead of getting it from a Cruise Critic member, donchathink? And it's funny, because the policy basically reads that if you miss the boat, we don't care! At least they are consistent.

If I was running MSC and learned that a significant number of cruisers were going to miss the boat because of a strike at the Brazilian Consulate, I think I'd have a meeting in order to address the issue and to solve the problem. You think otherwise, I'm sure you're a damn fine bureaucrat somewhere.

Edited by itsnowjoke

Again, how is it possible that I can buy a plane ticket to RIO leaving in two hours and board, yet for MSC 17 days advanced notice is an inconvenience?

This is what I don't understand what you are saying, yeah you can board the plane and once you get down there without the Visa they are going to kick your butt back here, you will most likely not be able to leave cusstoms control at the airport, never steping foot outside the airport. On the cruise ship were are they going to send you once you get off at port? They can't send you back to go home on the ship, so the ship will make sure you have all your papers that are needed before allowing boarding.

Its purly stated you need a Visa. How can you go to Rio without one in 2 hours? can you explain?

This is what I don't understand what you are saying, yeah you can board the plane and once you get down there without the Visa they are going to kick your butt back here, you will most likely not be able to leave cusstoms control at the airport, never steping foot outside the airport. On the cruise ship were are they going to send you once you get off at port? They can't send you back to go home on the ship, so the ship will make sure you have all your papers that are needed before allowing boarding.

Its purly stated you need a Visa. How can you go to Rio without one in 2 hours? can you explain?

Yes I can explain. You probably misunderstood due to the fact that I'm an inane rambler.

I would not suggest that one fly to Brazil without a Visa. In fact the airline wouldn't allow it. My point is that at some point the Brazilian government wants a list of who will be arriving on their soil. In the case of a jet airliner, the airline isn't sure until the last minute who is on board. The flight to Brazil takes about ten hours, so the Brazilian Government gets the information on inbound passengers 10 or so hours before they arrive.

In the case of the cruise we are talking about, MSC had 17 DAYS to notify Brazil who would be on board the ship if they were to notify Brazil upon departing Miami. There were a bunch of us who had problems obtaining our visas on time due to the strike. Had MSC been a little more flexible, they could have stated that hey, if you don't have your Brazilian Visa by XXX stop, then you'll need to disembark. I think everyone who was affected would have been ready, willing and able to sign a document that agreed to those terms, and MSC could have provided numerous port Fedex addresses so that we could receive our visas.

So for instance, if you don't have your passport by one week into the cruise, you're getting off in Philipsburg, end of story. That would have still given MSC 10 DAYS not hours, to provide a solid manifest. Given that crew and passengers come and go off of the ship at regular intervals for various reasons (medical and family emergencies), it's doubtful that Brazil was notified more than a couple of days in advance anyway. We had five sea days before landfall at Salvador. So yes, the intransigence, unwillingness, and indeed the corporate policy all dictated that it was my problem. However, I think that there could have been a simpler solution. Most all of the passengers affected are not big fans of how MSC handled it.

For those of you thinking ahead and are wondering how the ship could kick us off in St. Maarten, for example? Remember, there is a Caribbean initiative that allows travel to and from the US with just a birth certificate and a driver's license. So it would have been possible.

Lastly, some are amazed, surprised, and aghast at my food comments, etc. Hey, if there were no problems, this thread wouldn't exist, would it? I'm just a normal guy who enjoys cruising. MSC had an opportunity to go above and beyond and they chose not to.

Had MSC been a little more flexible, they could have stated that hey, if you don't have your Brazilian Visa by XXX stop, then you'll need to disembark. I think everyone who was affected would have been ready, willing and able to sign a document that agreed to those terms, and MSC could have provided numerous port Fedex addresses so that we could receive our visas.

For those of you thinking ahead and are wondering how the ship could kick us off in St. Maarten, for example? Remember, there is a Caribbean initiative that allows travel to and from the US with just a birth certificate and a driver's license. So it would have been possible. .

I am shaking my head.

This is only on Closed Loop cruises. You can not travel to St Martin or the Caribbean without a passort.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

The cruiseline did right, not letting someone on till they have their paperwork in order. Is the postoffice going to AIRMAIL to the ship the documentation while sailing? :)

They had an Oasis special on the travel channel once where they showed people denied boarding because passports were expired or not having updated paperwork for new wives who change their maiden name. This happens all the time. They don't need the complaints afterwards, well they let me on without the correct paperwork. People don't think and then want to blame the cruiseline where they have done nothing wrong. Read the fine print. No one does its a bad habbit.

Edited by Bosjoe

Maybe before accusing me of breaking a law, you should know what the law is. Shrill often? Calls to US customs, the Brazilian consulate, the passport expediting service, and yes, RCCL, all were informative in providing information that showed that boarding in Miami would have broken no laws whatsoever. What is clear is that I'd better have the visa before getting to Brazil, or I'd be in big trouble. However, your entire argument hinges on the fact that I was trying to break the law, which is pure poppycock. Did I ask for special treatment based on special circumstances? Why yes I did. How dare I!

Based on a post above, however, it would have been against corporate policy. It would have been nice of an MSC rep to give me guidance to the whereabouts of such written policy instead of getting it from a Cruise Critic member, donchathink? And it's funny, because the policy basically reads that if you miss the boat, we don't care! At least they are consistent.

If I was running MSC and learned that a significant number of cruisers were going to miss the boat because of a strike at the Brazilian Consulate, I think I'd have a meeting in order to address the issue and to solve the problem. You think otherwise, I'm sure you're a damn fine bureaucrat somewhere.

The petulance continues.

Your original post said that you take full responsibility for the visa woes. Then a snowflake diatribe about how you phoned MSC thinking you deserved special treatment. Where is your responsibility? Nowhere.

Insult me all you like if it makes you feel superior. I think you need that. Tell us some more how immigration laws don't apply to you. It's entertaining.

My view is that MSC acted respsibly not allowing you to board without the correct travel documentation. By doing so they took into account the needs and their responsibility to the vast majority of passengers who had the correct documentation. There were not 17 days to get the details to Brazil! you entered Brazil at your first port of call in Brazil at Fortaleza not when you got off at Rio. Were MSC to take a risk of allowing people onboard without he correct docs in the hope it was sorted enroute, then they would have the hassle and cost of having to make special arrangements to disembark passengers early at a port where no arrangements had been put in place for a disembarkation, if those docs didn't materialise in time. They will do this where a passengers have the correct documentation and have an emergency situation, but that is entirely different.

They could not risk having anyone onboard at Fortaleza that did not have all necessary docs. The clearnance of the ship would be delayed and all passengers would not be able to get off at the planned time. Worse case, the ship would be refused clearance to allow anyone off.

I've a lot of experience of repo cruises. On one when had a group of 10 Australians who were not allowed to board in Venice for a cruise to Rio becuase 2 of them in their group had an error on their visas (something wrong with a date). The consulate in Melbourne was closed because of the time difference so they could not get it sorted out in time for departure time. MSC did allow them to join 2 days later in Croatia when they'd got it sorted out. They also helped them organise transport to the next port. I'm glad they did this although I sympathised with their plight. I didn't want us to have bother entering Brazil that would have impacted us all. It is not always as simple as just saying they kick those back that don't have docs like they do at airports. With a flight, you individually clear immigration after leaving the plane although they will fine airlines for carrying passengers who need to be returned to the boarding point because of invalid documentation. With a cruise, the

entire ship is cleared before anyone can get off and immigration can simply just refuse to clear the ship. If that happens it can't unload anyone and has to sail somewhere else, not just impacting everyone onboard but also those booked on the next cruise.

On another repo (Livorno to Durban), it was mandatory to have a yellow fever certificate to join the cruise. Some thought they were (to quote MooMoo) special snowflakes and didn't get the vaccination. MSC did allow those to board on the condition they had the vaccination onboard and paid for it. They could ensure that, unlike the issue of a visa. Some tried to argue that they would stay onboard at Senegal so would not be a risk of carrying yellow fever to South Africa. The SA authorities just don't care. They have a simple stance, if a ship wants to enter their country then every person onboard has to have prrof of vaccination or valid exemption certification. If it is not 100% coverage! the ship just gets refused entry and returned back to whence it came. So those passengers had a simple choice get the vaccination or not go on the cruise.

I have an extremely low risk approach to visas, I don't buy airfares or pay full balances for cruises or hotels until I have the visa in my paws. So does my employer. I could not book my flight to India until I had my passport back with the visa in it. Probably electronic travel arrangements with countries like the US are a bit different as you are not having to send your passport off and wait for it back with the visa in it. You say that MSC should have realised the extra demand on the embassies to issue the Brazilian visas with the World Cup and had a meeting about it or something. Dare I say, you should have realised that that would be the case too and arranged it much earlier. OK there were a few days delay because of strikes but really that was cutting it too close to the wire anyway.

Edited by AmoMondo

I'm just wondering how far in advance the poster applied for visas?

One good thing is that this thread has prompted me to check again whether I need visas for my upcoming trip - and confirmed for a third time that I don't need any. I am sure that in my paranoia and OCD-ness I will be checking at least twice more before I leave.

What no "drawn butter?" This is the weirdest, most obtuse and abstract complaint against MSC I have so far read. It certainly beats the wrap around promenade deck now that MSC will shortly have them. New T-shirts will need to be printed.

The expectation that staff will perform the impossible appears to be the real problem and I would not say it is the staff's problem except in having to deal with such a customer.

On the specific issue of visas, I remember on my cruise to Brazil the Brazilian authorities boarded the Musica on the opposite side of the Atlantic to work through the paperwork for everyone on board before arriving in Brazilian territorial waters. Had MSC not shown due diligence in ensuring customers such as this, i.e. without a visa, were not allowed to board, the ship would not have been allowed to enter Brazil at all. Or the person without correct documentation would have been arrested, put in a cell, and left to the mercy of their own consulate to sort it out. Thankfully Brits don't need visas for Brazil!

On my blog of that trip, I wrote about a couple in the queue directly in front of me trying to board in Venice without passports. "We don't them, we are Europeans!" they insisted. After flaring up, they had to be forcibly removed from the cruise terminal by security. I imagine their review of the cruise would have been similar to the post in question. "Never again - disgusting!".

"Mushy lobster" and no "drawn butter" yet "easy to please". Yes, that takes the biscuit!!!!

(P.S. How should lobster be? Crisp? Crunchy? Obviously you don't eat the shell - do you???)

Edited by Skipper Tim

I'm not sure if I read an earlier post correctly but I'm sure it says that you phoned Royal Caribbean for advice and assistance about boarding an MSC ship without a valid visa? Is my understanding correct?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

You guys are too funny. Nothing better to do?

I applied for my visa three weeks in advance, through an expediter. The visa was late. It sucked. I found MSC's customer service entirely lacking in explaining policy. MSC's policy (posted above) states that they will not recommend nor explain visa protocol to customers. Is it ethical to sell a cruise on short notice to someone who would be cutting it too close to get a visa if needed?

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with AmoMondo's synopsis, above. ^^^ I appreciate the thought and time that he put in to his post. Did his conclusions favor my argument? No. But they make perfect sense. If they let a bunch of non-compliant people on the ship, it could be like herding cats trying to get them off. Some people might hide on the ship so that they could ultimately get arrested in Brazil! It doesn't make sense to me why anyone would go through the trouble, but there's one in every crowd. It sounds like during past cruises they may have accommodated a govt. rep on board to help sort things out. That must have been because it had been a problem.

Yes, I made the error of pointing out that one could simply fly back from St. Maarten to the US, which was in error. However, the point was that it may have been appropriate to disembark at US ports which were the first two stops.

Moomoocow, it's kind of sad how you relish coming onto the board to disparage my experience. First you accused me of being criminally minded then you're aghast that I'd actually call RCCL. Well yes, I called them in order to learn about immigration law, not corporate policy. The security person that I talked to was very informative and eager to share info. That person solidified the reason that I am loyal to that brand. I also called US Customs and immigration and the Brazilian Consulate. This thought process is called getting all available information before reaching a conclusion. Namely, it would have been perfectly legal to board with what I had. You seem to take great delight at your job and on this board telling people they are wrong. Good for you!

Lastly, we are getting way off track here. This is a message board designed so that people can make comments on the Divina. I don't have as much experience cruising as a lot of you. However, I'm just saying that it's the worst ship that I've been on to date. I was with a party of 8 on the cruise, we were in total agreement. It just wasn't that great. Sorry if it offends you that I like my lobster served with butter, but it's traditional in the US to have lobster and crab served with butter. Or sauce. But never dry. This is but one example that the haters have latched on to, good for you. It was just an example. Again, I'm clearly not the only one who has a problem with the food, or this thread wouldn't exist. It's not like every ship out there has a thread like this. I've stated my case ad nauseam and believe it or not and am not a whiner by nature. I told my party that I'd post our general Divina experience here on CC so that thousands of folks who are considering a Divina cruise can decide whether it's for them. My work here is done.

I'm fairly young, and have been looking for a second cruise line to gain elite status in. MSC isn't going to be it. For those of you who have fervently defended the brand and the ship, I'm sincerely glad that you are happy and that MSC treats you well. MSC is lucky to have you.

Edited by itsnowjoke

I applied for my visa three weeks in advance, through an expediter. The visa was late. It sucked. I found MSC's customer service entirely lacking in explaining policy. MSC's policy (posted above) states that they will not recommend nor explain visa protocol to customers. Is it ethical to sell a cruise on short notice to someone who would be cutting it too close to get a visa if needed?

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with AmoMondo's synopsis, above. ^^^ I appreciate the thought and time that he put in to his post. Did his conclusions favor my argument? No. But they make perfect sense. If they let a bunch of non-compliant people on the ship, it could be like herding cats trying to get them off. Some people might hide on the ship so that they could ultimately get arrested in Brazil! It doesn't make sense to me why anyone would go through the trouble, but there's one in every crowd. It sounds like during past cruises they may have accommodated a govt. rep on board to help sort things out. That must have been because it had been a problem.

Yes, I made the error of pointing out that one could simply fly back from St. Maarten to the US, which was in error. However, the point was that it may have been appropriate to disembark at US ports which were the first two stops.

Moomoocow, it's kind of sad how you relish coming onto the board to disparage my experience. First you accused me of being criminally minded then you're aghast that I'd actually call RCCL. Well yes, I called them in order to learn about immigration law, not corporate policy. The security person that I talked to was very informative and eager to share info. I also called US Customs and immigration and the Brazilian Consulate. This thought process is called getting all available information before reaching a conclusion. Namely, it would have been perfectly legal to board with what I had. You seem to take great delight at your job and on this board telling people they are wrong. Good for you!

Lastly, we are getting way off track here. This is a message board designed so that people can make comments on the Divina. I don't have as much experience cruising as a lot of you. However, I'm just saying that it's the worst ship that I've been on to date. I was with a party of 8 on the cruise, we were in total agreement. It just wasn't that great. Sorry if it offends you that I like my lobster served with butter, but it's traditional in the US to have lobster and crab served with butter. Or sauce. But never dry. This is but one example that the haters have latched on to, good for you. It was just an example. Again, I'm clearly not the only one who has a problem with the food, or this thread wouldn't exist. It's not like every ship out there has a thread like this.

I'm fairly young, and have been looking for a second cruise line to gain elite status in. MSC isn't going to be it. For those of you who have fervently defended the brand and the ship, I'm sincerely glad that you are happy and that MSC treats you well. MSC is lucky to have you.

Legal to the cruise line is following their rules which you did not want to do!

No cruise line would let you board without the proper paperwork to get off!

Not even RCL!

Who's fault, yours!

And evidently you really don't know anything about RCL cause there's plenty of complaints over there too! (we're RCL Diamond+, and Casino Club members)

For instance, a recent thread on RCL had a couple who booked a GTY. suite found out before their sailing they were being screwed by RCL, and were being put in a regular ocean view! It took a rather long thread(about 4 days), and a lot of experienced RCL cruisers telling the couple to sue, to scare RCL to offer proper compensation(in this couple opinion) for RCL's mistake!

RCL had 2 disease outbreaks this year that grabbed a lot of attention!

So your comments about RCL not having troubles is just NOT TRUE! Every cruise line has the negatives, people who live with a dark cloud above them!

PS The Divina's buffet is superior to RCL's, the Divina's dining room is equal to RCL's, and the Divina's Pizza is far superior to that Sorrento's garbage, but RCL's specialty restaurants are better then the Divina's, but then food is subjective!:D

Moomoocow, it's kind of sad how you relish coming onto the board to disparage my experience. First you accused me of being criminally minded then you're aghast that I'd actually call RCCL. Well yes, I called them in order to learn about immigration law, not corporate policy. The security person that I talked to was very informative and eager to share info. That person solidified the reason that I am loyal to that brand. I also called US Customs and immigration and the Brazilian Consulate. This thought process is called getting all available information before reaching a conclusion. Namely, it would have been perfectly legal to board with what I had. You seem to take great delight at your job and on this board telling people they are wrong. Good for you!

Lastly, we are getting way off track here. This is a message board designed so that people can make comments on the Divina. I don't have as much experience cruising as a lot of you. However, I'm just saying that it's the worst ship that I've been on to date. I was with a party of 8 on the cruise, we were in total agreement. It just wasn't that great. Sorry if it offends you that I like my lobster served with butter, but it's traditional in the US to have lobster and crab served with butter. Or sauce. But never dry. This is but one example that the haters have latched on to, good for you. It was just an example. Again, I'm clearly not the only one who has a problem with the food, or this thread wouldn't exist. It's not like every ship out there has a thread like this. I've stated my case ad nauseam and believe it or not and am not a whiner by nature. I told my party that I'd post our general Divina experience here on CC so that thousands of folks who are considering a Divina cruise can decide whether it's for them. My work here is done.

Well I'm smart enough to apply for and get my visa before booking a cruise to a country that needs one. :D

Thanks for your input. Brightened up my week a treat.

Legal to the cruise line is following their rules which you did not want to do!

No cruise line would let you board without the proper paperwork to get off!

Not even RCL!

Who's fault, yours!

And evidently you really don't know anything about RCL cause there's plenty of complaints over there too! (we're RCL Diamond+, and Casino Club members)

For instance, a recent thread on RCL had a couple who booked a GTY. suite found out before their sailing they were being screwed by RCL, and were being put in a regular ocean view! It took a rather long thread(about 4 days), and a lot of experienced RCL cruisers telling the couple to sue, to scare RCL to offer proper compensation(in this couple opinion) for RCL's mistake!

RCL had 2 disease outbreaks this year that grabbed a lot of attention!

So your comments about RCL not having troubles is just NOT TRUE! Every cruise line has the negatives, people who live with a dark cloud above them!

PS The Divina's buffet is superior to RCL's, the Divina's dining room is equal to RCL's, and the Divina's Pizza is far superior to that Sorrento's garbage, but RCL's specialty restaurants are better then the Divina's, but then food is subjective!:D

I think you're missing something.

A short synopsis: I had a visa issue. I take full responsibility for that issue. MSC customer service was less than stellar. In fact it was downright awful. I'm not mad because I didn't get my way. I was upset because I wasn't treated well. I must have talked to moomoocow at MSC. Asking questions? Then you must be a criminal!!

I did not say RCCL is perfect. In fact i stated that I've had "issues" with them in the past as well. They involved bookings, shore excursions, etc. Some were solved to my complete satisfaction, some not. when you put several thousand people on a ship it's obvious that there will be several thousand experiences, from great to not so great, no matter what the cruise line.

My two experiences regarding the pre-cruise customer service and the actual cruise were not so great. So what? I'm not telling you to not go on another one if you like it. Go for it! As I said, they are lucky to have you.

I think you're missing something.

A short synopsis: I had a visa issue. I take full responsibility for that issue. MSC customer service was less than stellar. In fact it was downright awful. I'm not mad because I didn't get my way. I was upset because I wasn't treated well. I must have talked to moomoocow at MSC. Asking questions? Then you must be a criminal!!

I did not say RCCL is perfect. In fact i stated that I've had "issues" with them in the past as well. They involved bookings, shore excursions, etc. Some were solved to my complete satisfaction, some not. when you put several thousand people on a ship it's obvious that there will be several thousand experiences, from great to not so great, no matter what the cruise line.

My two experiences regarding the pre-cruise customer service and the actual cruise were not so great. So what? I'm not telling you to not go on another one if you like it. Go for it! As I said, they are lucky to have you.

Look, I'm sorry if you took offence at my earlier posts.

But yours do read as if you phoned asking if you could board in Miami and when you were told no you tried your hardest to get them to change their policy. Your original post did read like you refused to accept their response and wanted chapter and verse on policy.

I understand it was very frustrating and by using a comparison with my work I was only trying to show that when our clients ask for something they aren't entitled to by law they get mighty snotty when we say they can't have it. They refuse to accept what we are telling them and they give our CSR's such a hard time. It's absolutely shocking to listen to some of the calls that come in. Of course we tell those customers to go and fornicate elsewhere! We don't want to do business with people who can't keep a civil tongue in their head. So my policy now is to realise that all calls are recorded and I'm speaking to a human. I don't say anything that I would be embarrassed about if it was played back to me. Not saying you did btw!

I'm glad in your more recent posts you've kinda come to an understanding about what your were suggesting for you and the others in your position wasn't feasible or in any way an option. I don't want to tell people they're wrong and I actually said I disagreed rather than saying you were wrong (your actions weren't wrong, just not what I'd have done because I would have recognised the futility in it)

It can't have been nice going through that stress before boarding. I've also acknowledged that your issues with food have been addressed before and are valid complaints echoed by others. MSC pre cruise service isn't the best by a long chalk. I'm almost immunised to it by now. As an example I've been waiting over two weeks for a response to a quote I've requested for two future cruises. It's not massively urgent but if it was and I missed out on a great deal due to their inactivity and lack of organisation then I'd be raging.

So, hope we can bury the hatchet (not in each other!)

PS I know exactly what you mean by the lobster. When it's that texture it means it's been on ice for far too long and has probably been frozen, thawed and frozen again. My husband, in a previous life, was a fishmonger. :D

Look, I'm sorry if you took offence at my earlier posts.

But yours do read as if you phoned asking if you could board in Miami and when you were told no you tried your hardest to get them to change their policy. Your original post did read like you refused to accept their response and wanted chapter and verse on policy.

I understand it was very frustrating and by using a comparison with my work I was only trying to show that when our clients ask for something they aren't entitled to by law they get mighty snotty when we say they can't have it. They refuse to accept what we are telling them and they give our CSR's such a hard time. It's absolutely shocking to listen to some of the calls that come in. Of course we tell those customers to go and fornicate elsewhere! We don't want to do business with people who can't keep a civil tongue in their head. So my policy now is to realise that all calls are recorded and I'm speaking to a human. I don't say anything that I would be embarrassed about if it was played back to me. Not saying you did btw!

I'm glad in your more recent posts you've kinda come to an understanding about what your were suggesting for you and the others in your position wasn't feasible or in any way an option. I don't want to tell people they're wrong and I actually said I disagreed rather than saying you were wrong (your actions weren't wrong, just not what I'd have done because I would have recognised the futility in it)

It can't have been nice going through that stress before boarding. I've also acknowledged that your issues with food have been addressed before and are valid complaints echoed by others. MSC pre cruise service isn't the best by a long chalk. I'm almost immunised to it by now. As an example I've been waiting over two weeks for a response to a quote I've requested for two future cruises. It's not massively urgent but if it was and I missed out on a great deal due to their inactivity and lack of organisation then I'd be raging.

So, hope we can bury the hatchet (not in each other!)

PS I know exactly what you mean by the lobster. When it's that texture it means it's been on ice for far too long and has probably been frozen, thawed and frozen again. My husband, in a previous life, was a fishmonger. :D

Frozen lobster. That's fishmongering day one!

not every cruiseline is for everyone. We have been on one Princess Cruise.we hated their corporate culture.

Personally, I would not book a 17 day cruise on a brand I have never cruised, but that is just me.

You don't fillet with a spoon.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, you don't! They teach that day one.......after lunch.

Edited by papcx

I'm beginning to think that MSC is for the more sophisticated traveler who is able to plan and execute their own responsibilities and who doesn't expect everything to be just how it is in their home country.

I'm beginning to think that MSC is for the more sophisticated traveler who is able to plan and execute their own responsibilities and who doesn't expect everything to be just how it is in their home country.

We still appreciate MSC for "kids sail free". It got us cruising with our family. So, we have only afforded to sail from Florida, but that has been great. Divina lately is not the Italian experience we found aboard Poesia, but rather comercialized and crowded. Someday we hope to travel to Europe with the kids, and maybe MSC could be the catalylist.