Divina extreme reviews, is it the Divina, or the Reviewers!

American Bear

restation/others-what do you think about negative reviews from people claiming 10-20-30 cruises and never wrote a review before their negative Divina review? How believable are they?:confused:

Or do they have an ulterior motive?:confused:

I don't think about it. I'm already on to planning my next vacation and it's not a cruise.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

what do you think about negative reviews from people claiming 10-20-30 cruises and never wrote a review before their negative Divina review? How believable are they?:confused:

Or do they have an ulterior motive?:confused:

I think some are putting to much stock in reviews. If a person writes a glowing review people seem to think that is more believable and the author "had the right attitude" or they got an inexpensive cruise and they should be happy.

Its common on review sites that if people have a good experience they might not feel the need to take the time to write a review, its only when a problem occurs that they take the time to share their opinion.

When people pay their money and the experience is foreign to anything they encountered previously, that causes many to tell others. When the experience is similar,they might not feel the need to share.

With Divina being so new to this market, its understandable that quite a few pax are voicing shortcomings, more than heaping.

I wouldn't let someone's positive or negative review unduly have an influence on my cruise choice. Remember its just their opinion and perception.

I found this video of wonderland

http://youtu.be/3UMQRSUNUkU

I like picture and videos rather than opinion when it comes to making a cruise choice.

Some of these 'Extreme' reviews sound fake!

You know the old saying 'if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its most likely a duck!

Some of these negative reviews sound fake, way over the top!

'In my opinion' you don't join a site after that many cruises to complain that your cruise was ruined, pathetic as one said! Nothing went right, seriously? Maybe, but that must be one dark cloud you live under!

Another negative reviewer stated 'service' was the reason they wrote a negative review! OK! Its different, why? Because its European style!

I understand that difference because I've traveled in Europe, and service there is much different!

Some in America will like it, some won't!

You 'pay' for good service in Europe, (and its expensive)that's why the extra money for Yacht Club cabins come with so much more service, and you see the reviews on the Yacht Club service have been for the most part very good!

European style service is offered on the Divina, (not North American)what did these people think they were buying when they purchased a cruise on a European Cruise Line, especially at sale prices for Balconies that are less then Ocean views on all other American cruise lines?!

You pay for what you get!

Edited by Russian Bear

You are assuming people would know that MSC is a European cruise line. Many see a low rate online and book it. Since the cruise is sailing out of Miami, most would expect the same service they received on other lines.

Now if they booked a cruise departing from Barcelona or Venice, they could expect something outside their experience.

In talking to the avg cruiser, many dont do much research.

Even if the reviews are fake, people shouldn't put much weight on the opinion of strangers.

I'm sure on every sailing someone had a bad cruise, but that has no bearing on a future cruise the reader of the review might experience.

CC is FILLED with fake screen names and people just here to cause problems. Use other sites along with this one for research. CC will not allow you to post the names of those sites but they are out there. Many people have left CC because of these issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've all seen the extreme reviews by people who've sailed on Divina, everyone has their opinion, their desires, their pocket book, etc., but,,,, what about the 'EXTREME' negative reviews given by those who've never admittedly cruised on the Divina!:confused:

Every ship has its purpose!

Every cruise is selected by cruisers with their personal interests/desires!

itineraries

fun ships

laid back ships

food type/quality/access

service/quality/too much/too little

age of ship/beauty

configuration/ease of navigation

size of ship/too big/too small

types of activities on ship

etc.

Every purchase is made within people's budgets!

one of the most important factors in our selecting the Divina for our cruises was the low price

What does drives people to belittle others when their purpose, their interests/desires, their budgets are satisfied by a cruise on the Divina!:eek:

We've all seen the extreme reviews by people who've sailed on Divina, everyone has their opinion, their desires, their pocket book, etc., but,,,, what about the 'EXTREME' negative reviews given by those who've never admittedly cruised on the Divina!:confused:

Every ship has its purpose!

Every cruise is selected by cruisers with their personal interests/desires!

itineraries

fun ships

laid back ships

food type/quality/access

service/quality/too much/too little

age of ship/beauty

configuration/ease of navigation

size of ship/too big/too small

types of activities on ship

etc.

Every purchase is made within people's budgets!

one of the most important factors in our selecting the Divina for our cruises was the low price

What does drives people to belittle others when their purpose, their interests/desires, their budgets are satisfied by a cruise on the Divina!:eek:

AMEN!! Well said.

We went on Divina on Mar 15th sailing. I posted a positive review as I had nothing to complain about. I think the value for the money was very good (under $100pp per day with all SC included for a balcony cabin) & we didn't encounter anything negative worth mentioning.

Objectivity of the reviews should be based on facts & not emotions or personal preferences (i.e. I don't like eggs that therefore food is awful because eggs were there every day). Food choice & quality was there and most should've found something that they liked. Ship & cabins were clean. What I understand cruise company should deliver (good service, polite staff, food, cleanliness, punctuality, adherence to itinerary, safety) MSC did deliver.

We only cruised on Costa & NCL; liked both but NCL Jade was better. I personally prefer NCL freestyle dining as compared with MSC or Costa shift & fixed seating dining but that's how they choose to operate. Also there was no chocolate event on MSC. But menus looked similar. Same true for buffets. Also MSC's ice cream (paid) & coffee was very good as compared to NCL.

Despite reading the negative reviews, we had a fabulous cruise last week on the MSC Divina! The food was ok, I never got the hang of navigating around the ship, and I was not a big fan of the shows but those things did not spoil our trip. It was a great overall experience and I would definitely book another MSC cruise in the future using the same criteria that I always use...itinerary and price.

One thing that did hit home with me in those reviews was the person that lost their vouchers.

Since researching Divina, the vouchers struck me as a stupid and archaic system. It's 2014 and they're selling paper coupons? Just dumb.

If I misplace my stupid coupons and they refuse me replacements I can assure you the entire ship will be aware of it.

It is a ridiculous system. At a time when we're using less paper, they are giving people vouchers for drinks.

It's 2014, build the drink package right into your key card or use a plastic card. Every time you leave the cabin, you have to remember to take your coupons. Silly.

I don't want to upset my fellow cc people here but I found that cruising out of the US was very different to cruising out of Italy. I am Australian easy going and have found that cruising gives me a great holiday. I sailed out of NYC on Poesia and could not believe what people were complaining about - some people are just complainers - some people travel in large groups (eg 30 or more from bible class) - People in groups give vent to their grievances to each other and their gripes just grow, sometimes out of all proportion.

Anyway, most of the gripes of my fellow passengers out of NYC were about small, little things and could have been fixed by a word to their cabin steward, extra hangers, face cloth, lumpy pillow. All could have been replaced in an instant - instead these people chose to gripe all week about it. And then continued to gripe about everything - honestly on the tender rides to port you needed the patience of a saint to not say anything. I spent a lot of this week shaking my head in disbelief at how people behaved and treated the staff. Now what staff member is going to give you a smile if you are constantly growling at them.

The following week we did a cruise on the Poesia out of Fort Lauderdale. Boy was that a different story and a completely different atmosphere. Less stuffy people, less complainers and a far more enjoyable cruise for everyone. You would have thought you were at party central. What lively, fun and happy crowd - a lot more like Australians and a lot more relaxed.

What was different - same ship - same food - same entertainment - same staff - different passengers.

Edited by Janet&Carl

I don't want to upset my fellow cc people here but I found that cruising out of the US was very different to cruising out of Italy. I am Australian easy going and have found that cruising gives me a great holiday. I sailed out of NYC on Poesia and could not believe what people were complaining about - some people are just complainers - some people travel in large groups (eg 30 or more from bible class) - People in groups give vent to their grievances to each other and their gripes just grow, sometimes out of all proportion.

Anyway, most of the gripes of my fellow passengers out of NYC were about small, little things and could have been fixed by a word to their cabin steward, extra hangers, face cloth, lumpy pillow. All could have been replaced in an instant - instead these people chose to gripe all week about it. And then continued to gripe about everything - honestly on the tender rides to port you needed the patience of a saint to not say anything. I spent a lot of this week shaking my head in disbelief at how people behaved and treated the staff. Now what staff member is going to give you a smile if you are constantly growling at them.

The following week we did a cruise on the Poesia out of Fort Lauderdale. Boy was that a different story and a completely different atmosphere. Less stuffy people, less complainers and a far more enjoyable cruise for everyone. You would have thought you were at party central. What lively, fun and happy crowd - a lot more like Australians and a lot more relaxed.

What was different - same ship - same food - same entertainment - same staff - different passengers.

I share your opinion completely. Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You've confused me. The first line of your post said "...cruising out of the US was very different to cruising out of Italy", but you went on to refer to two cruises out of the US.

Most importantly, the point is that no two cruises are alike because the same group of people are not cruising together. If EVERYONE on one cruise went on a different ship the following week the difference would be in the ship and the way they were treated. Obviously, that's not going to happen. So really, all of our experiences are our very own. Even my husband and I don't always agree about how much we liked a certain cruise!

I love to talk with the crew members about their homeland, onboard experiences, etc and have found that a LOT of staff who've worked in the Caribbean disliked, even hated in some instances, working in that region as they felt that Americans where very demanding, loud and aggresive when dealing with issues and that sailings in the Med were, by and large, more relaxed in atmosphere and was a more enjoyable work environment.

While on the subject - and this is not in any way to stereotype or tar all Americans with the one brush as we are all individuals - I'd like to relate a story about an incident that happened on one of my cruises.

I was on a very packed elevator one evening. It stopped at one of the floors - no-one got off but this large woman attempted to get on. A man at the back objected on the basis that there was no room and certainly it posed a danger to which the woman roared at him in a distinctly American accent to get off as she was entitled to get on - if he had a problem with that then HE should get off and make room for her!!!! Nobody else said a word. The woman forced her way on and I'm sorry to this day that I continued in that elevator to the floor I was going to instead of getting off as it WAS dangerously overcrowded.

I love to talk with the crew members about their homeland, onboard experiences, etc and have found that a LOT of staff who've worked in the Caribbean disliked, even hated in some instances, working in that region as they felt that Americans where very demanding, loud and aggresive when dealing with issues and that sailings in the Med were, by and large, more relaxed in atmosphere and was a more enjoyable work environment.

While on the subject - and this is not in any way to stereotype or tar all Americans with the one brush as we are all individuals - I'd like to relate a story about an incident that happened on one of my cruises.

I was on a very packed elevator one evening. It stopped at one of the floors - no-one got off but this large woman attempted to get on. A man at the back objected on the basis that there was no room and certainly it posed a danger to which the woman roared at him in a distinctly American accent to get off as she was entitled to get on - if he had a problem with that then HE should get off and make room for her!!!! Nobody else said a word. The woman forced her way on and I'm sorry to this day that I continued in that elevator to the floor I was going to instead of getting off as it WAS dangerously overcrowded.

Rude comes in all nationalities. We were in YC last month and were grouped together in the YC lounge to be taken to the tender. Our concierge led the way and as we came down the last set of stairs to join with the others, the concierge was on the landing of the stairs holding the rope for us to get through and get to the bottom landing where everyone else was standing. A very loud, aggressive older German man came bounding from the back of the room literally yelling (mostly in German) and waving his arms, thinking the whole group of us was cutting in line. He actually grabbed my husband's arm and pushed him. Holy wow, the restraint my husband had was incredible, because had he pushed me that way his face would have been unrecognizable. The nerve some people have is unbelievable. It crosses all nationalities.

Rude comes in all nationalities.

Totally agree

We were in YC last month and were grouped together in the YC lounge to be taken to the tender. Our concierge led the way and as we came down the last set of stairs to join with the others, the concierge was on the landing of the stairs holding the rope for us to get through and get to the bottom landing where everyone else was standing. A very loud, aggressive older German man came bounding from the back of the room literally yelling (mostly in German) and waving his arms, thinking the whole group of us was cutting in line. He actually grabbed my husband's arm and pushed him. Holy wow, the restraint my husband had was incredible, because had he pushed me that way his face would have been unrecognizable. The nerve some people have is unbelievable. It crosses all nationalities.

It's one of the problems MSC need to address re priority services and other perks for YC - I'm sure there are many who would have similar stories to yours. If only the staff were better trained in organising these things and indicating that they're leading a group incidents like this could be prevented. That is in no way to excuse somebody assaulting your husband.

Totally agree

It's one of the problems MSC need to address re priority services and other perks for YC - I'm sure there are many who would have similar stories to yours. If only the staff were better trained in organising these things and indicating that they're leading a group incidents like this could be prevented. That is in no way to excuse somebody assaulting your husband.

I agree completely. Not one of the crew did anything at all. It was other passengers that jumped in to calm the situation. The man just muttered under his breath and walked away (not that I would expect an apology from a jack ass anyway). I will say that his wife looked mortified.

I agree completely. Not one of the crew did anything at all. It was other passengers that jumped in to calm the situation. The man just muttered under his breath and walked away (not that I would expect an apology from a jack ass anyway). I will say that his wife looked mortified.

And the mortified wife was most likely 'very happy' you didn't have her husband kicked off the ship!:D

Rudeness come in every nationality!

I found if we wanted a relaxing cruise, we didn't purchase a Carnival Cruise, and if we wanted a fun cruise, we didn't purchase a HAL cruise! etc.!

What makes cruising great, you get to choose the type of cruise you want! Want service, purchase the Divina Yacht Club, want cheap, purchase an inside cabin on the Divina-$199/7 days, or the best balcony price anywhere for $399. on the Divina awhile back!

Our B2B purchase in May is a $399. balcony,

if we get,,,,,,,

Crappy service-no problem, cause for a $399. balcony, I'll get off my lazy butt, and get my own drink!

Mediocre food-no problem, cause for a $399. balcony, pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, and pasta are just fine!

No wrap around promenade:D-no problem, I'll sit on my $399. balcony!

A $399. balcony on a 2 year old ship that most everyone says is beautiful, and clean, I got no complaints! :eek:

And the mortified wife was most likely 'very happy' you didn't have her husband kicked off the ship!:D

Rudeness come in every nationality!

I found if we wanted a relaxing cruise, we didn't purchase a Carnival Cruise, and if we wanted a fun cruise, we didn't purchase a HAL cruise! etc.!

What makes cruising great, you get to choose the type of cruise you want! Want service, purchase the Divina Yacht Club, want cheap, purchase an inside cabin on the Divina-$199/7 days, or the best balcony price anywhere for $399. on the Divina awhile back!

Our B2B purchase in May is a $399. balcony,

if we get,,,,,,,

Crappy service-no problem, cause for a $399. balcony, I'll get off my lazy butt, and get my own drink!

Mediocre food-no problem, cause for a $399. balcony, pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, and pasta are just fine!

No wrap around promenade:D-no problem, I'll sit on my $399. balcony!

A $399. balcony on a 2 year old ship that most everyone says is beautiful, and clean, I got no complaints! :eek:

Ditto, ditto & ditto:cool:

You've confused me. The first line of your post said "...cruising out of the US was very different to cruising out of Italy", but you went on to refer to two cruises out of the US.

!

Sorry to have caused you confusion -The two cruises out of Italy were fantastic - loved every minute. Maybe I should have put that in.

I compared my two cruises on the one ship out of America - to make my point.

I'm enjoying lurking here....just want to say that like so many others, I have read tons of reviews over the years of cruising and while I am still finding out what I want to read/see in my version of a perfect review I know a lot of what I don't want and much has already been expressed....

unreasonableness

sense of entitlement (not to be confused with receiving/enjoyment of all that your $$ is buying for you)

negative aggressiveness (pushy, demanding, and it's the other's fault and ruined the cruise...etc)

theorizing, speculating, blanket conclusions (well I feel they have their place in life but I don't need them in a cruise review)

not accepting in some degree the "life happens" things

no context (as in not putting things in.....I had a terrible cruise, it rained, so and so did such and such)

I read cruise reviews as I read other reviews, like hotel reviews.....I've booked an absolutely fabulous hotel in Paris, the how could anyone NOT enjoy this luxury hotel kind and lo and behold, among all the accolades there was a don't go here LOLOL

I appreciate the balance I see in a lot of posts in this thread, thanks everyone :)....I'm all for the right to complain, I find a number of them helpful, not the ones that make me say to myself seriously?

Russian Bear, to me, your posts make me think of what the kids say.... you are REAL

when we cruise we don't suddenly or temporarily change who we are.....just because we paid some money and went on vacation

Edited by ioneblair

• 1 month later...

Ive been reading the reviews and I sincerely wonder if there's anyone else out there who's just going on a boat on holiday and not interested in what others really think about it, or what each others cabin will look like, or the dining times, or or or or or or or - the list is endless. And what really causes the most excitement once on board? An accurate good review or an accurate bad one? Its hard to tell.

I'm looking forward to my holiday but as for anything else - what will be will as long as its not noro-virus.