Divina extreme reviews, is it the Divina, or the Reviewers!

American Bear

I read all of the reviews I can, and realize that cruise dining is very subjective. However, there seems to be a constant trend when reviewers address the food service on the Divina. Using Cruise Critics own critique as to how to read a review, it doesn't look good. I am going anyway, but I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, MSC is aware of the perception of their food service and realizes that "perception is reality." Also, I have not read one good review of the gym, most commenting that there aren't nearly enough machines, bikes and equipment for over 3800 passengers. Anyone have any positive reports, other than to admonish this American for expecting too much, and of being unaware of the European way of doing things. I don't buy that!!!! my parents were born in Italy, and I have spent a lot of time there and in Europe. I expect what everyone should expect. Acceptable dining options and a gym comparable to 90% of all cruise ships.

Ciao,

Alberto

I'm not a gym goer but have wandered around the ships I have been on at different times of the day. I have never seen a gym full, I have never seen people queuing for equipment - so what is the problem :confused:

Skipper Tim

Strange as it may seem to you, the menus on Star Flyer are different for every meal and there are six courses at dinner with multiple choices. Admittedly, there are only 160 passengers, which makes inspecting said choices a great deal easier; it wouldn't be viable on big ships but it was exceedingly useful when careful reading of the English, French and German menus still left us completely baffled as to what it was.

Lots of wine helps just about everything...

Willow, thank you for the correction. I thought six courses was an eccentric peculiarity of MSC in this age of fast food and redundant home dining tables. I am most encouraged by Star Flyer.

Our table on MSC cruises has frequently been baffled, as you say, across the languages. Sometimes it is just one word in "inverted commas" which is the crux of the dish, the same in every language in the menu, and yet has never been encountered before nor does it resemble any known word for approximating. I always go for that dish :). With time, one learns an entirely new language. The downside is the rest of the World will not understand and there are not even any interpreters, professional or automated, for 'MSC'.

I was challenged in the Far East when the language was totally beyond me. I like to go where the locals go but, after a most unfortunate and embarrassing incident, had to restrict myself to eating establishments displaying photos of the dishes. Perhaps cruise lines could do the same?

Edited by Skipper Tim

I'm not a gym goer but have wandered around the ships I have been on at different times of the day. I have never seen a gym full, I have never seen people queuing for equipment - so what is the problem :confused:

I have to agree. I have often gone to the Spa Bar for its peace and solitude while writing a CC blog episode or check email. This is always in the vicinity of the gym and I have never seen the gym busy. The busiest would be half a dozen people. As I said before, timing is everything. Don't do the obvious at the obvious times and you have a permanently quieter ship and better service to boot.

• 1 year later...

I just returned this morning on the MSC Divina and was very happy with our cruise. I must say I was scared after reading these forums ahead of time though. We thought the food was good. Ate in the main dining room every night, most lunches and most breakfasts. Our Server and his assistant were both excelent, friendly and helpful - all the time. The times we did eat at the buffet, we were happy with most items. I liked that the buffet was spread out and not much to the lines, and crowds if you just didn't stop just right when you walked in. Much better setup then the buffets on Royal Carribian and Carnival. Our cabin was serviced many times a day. Again, a very friendly young man. And we LOVED the entertainment. Went to every night time show. Even the one night all the songs were in Italian, it was good. Shows are only about 45 minutes long also. The crew we encountered always had a smile or "good morning" etc. I'm new to cruising, but have now been on 3 since Dec 2015. And the Divina was just as nice as the others. Looking forward to another MSC soon. And of course it is a beautiful and clean ship. No question about that.

Edited by dd likes to cruise

I just returned this morning on the MSC Divina and was very happy with our cruise. I must say I was scared after reading these forums ahead of time though. We thought the food was good. Ate in the main dining room every night, most lunches and most breakfasts. Our Server and his assistant were both excelent, friendly and helpful - all the time. The times we did eat at the buffet, we were happy with most items. I liked that the buffet was spread out and not much to the lines, and crowds if you just didn't stop just right when you walked in. Much better setup then the buffets on Royal Carribian and Carnival. Our cabin was serviced many times a day. Again, a very friendly young man. And we LOVED the entertainment. Went to every night time show. Even the one night all the songs were in Italian, it was good. Shows are only about 45 minutes long also. The crew we encountered always had a smile or "good morning" etc. I'm new to cruising, but have now been on 3 since Dec 2015. And the Divina was just as nice as the others. Looking forward to another MSC soon. And of course it is a beautiful and clean ship. No question about that.

Any 'can't miss" activities or foods you would reccomend? Also, did you get any of the drink coupons? Which experience were you? Did you like your room?

I had just the Bella experience. Fine for me. Our room was a balcony on deck 10. We liked it. Not center of ship, but not all the way to the back either.

We didn't get any daily drink packages, but got a wine package that we selected a bottle of wine each night at dinner. It was 80.00 something dollars. Perfect for the 4 of us. A book of beer vouchers - cant remember the number but we felt it was a good deal. We could share these also, so not just one person had to drink them all. 65.00 ish. And I have to have Diet Coke as my caffiene so again a voucher type book for about 35.00 dollars for 15 sodas.

I had just the Bella experience. Fine for me. Our room was a balcony on deck 10. We liked it. Not center of ship, but not all the way to the back either.

We didn't get any daily drink packages, but got a wine package that we selected a bottle of wine each night at dinner. It was 80.00 something dollars. Perfect for the 4 of us. A book of beer vouchers - cant remember the number but we felt it was a good deal. We could share these also, so not just one person had to drink them all. 65.00 ish. And I have to have Diet Coke as my caffiene so again a voucher type book for about 35.00 dollars for 15 sodas.

Did you purchase your packages on the ship or beforehand online?

Another thought. If you think the quanities of the food are not enough, feel free to order more than just one item etc. many times I ordered 2 of the same appitizer because it was something I really like. I also had an extra Lobster tail on that night also. Others at our table ordered an extra main dish almost every night, just not the double sides etc. and then you can always go get more latter in the buffet too! Food was not a problem for any of us. Don't miss the nightly shows - all good. They had a short Opera one afternoon and we did not see that, but heard others liked it too.

DD--thanks for your review. Glad to hear you liked the Divina. We are booked on her in June with our kids and grands. My daughter called me yesterday and said her friend's mother just got off the Divina and said she hated it. She was probably on the same cruise you were on. Just goes to show that attitude is everything. You made a very good point that if you want something extra or different in the dining room, just ask for it. The opinions on the quality of the entertainment are usually due to personal preferences. We have been on over 30 cruises and every ship has some things you like and some you don't, but we've never had a "bad" cruise--all the ships made it back to port! I'm sure we will have a great time on the Divina because we will be with family on a beautiful ship. We don't obsess over the small stuff.

Service is another factor. I'm not criticising the US and their ways so please don't be offended but I personally find the US service style irritating, intrusive and over familiar. I like the European way better. So if you're lying by a pool and wait staff keep stopping by me to ask me if I want a drink, I don't view that as good service but annoying, especially I'd it is the same person interrupting me repeatedly. MSC don't do that, they completely ignore you. If I want a drink, I need to signal or make eye contact with a waiter and they'll come over. The reverse is, if you are used to the other way and see that as good and attentive service and don't understand that they're not wanting to disturb you, they see it as bad service. Same situation, 2 different ways of viewing it.

Ha...I agree. I am American and find the US service style irritating. I don't really think of it as the US service style though. I think of it as pushy sales and I hate that. I don't have a problem signaling a waiter. They are on standby looking for the signals.

Back from 3/26/16 Divina cruise. Had a great time, pre booked premium package. Best premium package I have had yet, there was no limit to what you could create. Plus unlimited gelato, nutella crepes, pastries from amazing patasserie, where they also had great gelato sundaes (incl.) unlimited use of mini bar, we brought the nut cannisters with us to excursions, made for great snacks...... BEST lobster in MDR I have ever had at sea, not huge nor tiny but waiter just kept bringing them to the table, without being asked. As to the CC hassle of going to a kiosk, MSC implemented this to speed up embarkation, cruisers have until day 5 to hit a kiosk (open 24 hours) to register a card. This alleviates waiting behind someone fumbling for a credit card, deciding which one to use, which one is no good, yadda yadda it definitely helps unless you just hate kiosks maybe? (nitpicking at best imho), To hate this cruise is mind boggling, maybe its not exactly what one was expecting, but to actually hate it is beyond me, but I guess to each his own. As a huge Celebrity fan, I found the Divina to hold her own in many ways and fall short in some, but overall I had great time, great value and the cleanest ship/line I have been on yet.

Edited by LordCapybara

Just got off the Divina - I think people are expecting it to be exactly like what they are used to (read: Extreme pampering). A bit more DIY but it is still an enjoyable cruise. Read my review here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=531073&et_cid=2633025&et_rid=194249323&et_referrer=Boards

Just got off the Divina - I think people are expecting it to be exactly like what they are used to (read: Extreme pampering). A bit more DIY but it is still an enjoyable cruise. Read my review here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=531073&et_cid=2633025&et_rid=194249323&et_referrer=Boards

Thanks for the detailed review. It's very helpful to get a balanced opinion without just "it was great" or "it was awful". Can't wait to see Divina for myself in June.

"This cruise was filthy with career cruisers who were trying MSC for the first time. I feel that some of the complaints were petty"

Nailed it! I've never seen so much Royal Caribbean logo wear ANYWHERE before...not even a Royal Caribbean ship.

I would not be surprised if they were all status match on their first cruise and expecting Celebrity food and high fives at MSC prices! from the complaint about the steaks it sounds that way.

Ha...I agree. I am American and find the US service style irritating. I don't really think of it as the US service style though. I think of it as pushy sales and I hate that. I don't have a problem signaling a waiter. They are on standby looking for the signals.

Yes, it really is that simple. MSC service style allows for dining and conversation.

Yes, it really is that simple. MSC service style allows for dining and conversation.

Looking forward to my first MSC cruise. But never had an issue with dining on Carnival or RCI in terms of "too fast". Granted, on my only RCI cruise, we were in a party of like 12, so there was plenty of time for chatting while the meals were coming.

But every ship is different, and the itinerary/staff different as well, so I think if you have a bad experience, it could be specific to that cruise/itinerary as well.

Looking forward to my first MSC cruise. But never had an issue with dining on Carnival or RCI in terms of "too fast". Granted, on my only RCI cruise, we were in a party of like 12, so there was plenty of time for chatting while the meals were coming.

But every ship is different, and the itinerary/staff different as well, so I think if you have a bad experience, it could be specific to that cruise/itinerary as well.

I was agreeing with pamwinn who was referring to the lack of intrusiveness, not the pacing of the meal. You are for sure right about every ship being different, though. Some are run better than others.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with MSC as much as I have mine!

Wow! That's like asking; after you got run over by the bus, how was the rest of your walk? Let's just say, if you have been on Princess, HAL and/or Celebrity you will be very disappointed by MSC.

OMG. Funny you are . I been on Hal /Celebrity and I love MSC much more. As a fact we did not found Celebrity any special at all. Starting from service and finish with entertainment MSC much better cruise line than Celebrity . Lets say for my opinion Celebrity is very overrated line . If you cruise to eat ,yes HAL is better option .

I was agreeing with pamwinn who was referring to the lack of intrusiveness, not the pacing of the meal. You are for sure right about every ship being different, though. Some are run better than others.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with MSC as much as I have mine!

It's not only every ship different same ship can be different. We had back to back on Divina and it was like two different ships we cruised on.

I would not be surprised if they were all status match on their first cruise and expecting Celebrity food and high fives at MSC prices! from the complaint about the steaks it sounds that way.

Steaks are terrible on both lines . What's so special about Celebrity food? Yes, they have escargot every night but it was terrible . Desserts in buffet simply uneatable.