Room Service

solocanadian

Any one out there who is soon to sail solo, contemplating forgoing having room service? I normally order juice & coffee for early morning before I head out to the MDR for a full breakfast but am wondering whether to forget about it. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by solocanadian

Though I don't travel solo, I have certainly ordered room service on occassion when DH was not present and I would not hesitate to at any time now.

I would not have the slightest hesitation.

Two terrorist brothers left backpack bombs at Boston's Patriot's Day Marathon a year ago. The list of runners for this year's run is as long as always. No one is staying away because of that tragic event. People still go to NYC and live and work there.

Life goes on despite the awful things that happen. That's life!!

Edited by sail7seas

I would suggest to you that 98%+ of the crew members are HORRIFIED (as much or more than we are) about what happened. They are hard working, honest people who work harder than most. I have the utmost respect for these folks and do not plan to change that opinion based upon one mentally unstable violent individual. No doubt the crew are all under even more scrutiny than ever before.

I too would have no fear ordering room service.

I would suggest to you that 98%+ of the crew members are HORRIFIED (as much or more than we are) about what happened. They are hard working, honest people who work harder than most. I have the utmost respect for these folks and do not plan to change that opinion based upon one mentally unstable violent individual. No doubt the crew are all under even more scrutiny than ever before.

I too would have no fear ordering room service.

I (mostly) agree but would say that

99.99999999999 % of crew are saddened and horrified such a thing happened to a guest on a HAL ship.

I leave .000000000001 percent as HAL says that nothing is a "10". :)

Edited by sail7seas

I've sailed solo for years, and have never given ordering Room Service a second thought. Nothing has happened to change my mind.

I'll exercise the same caution I always have, flash the same smile while expressing the same pleasantries, and let the chips fall where they may.

Any one out there who is soon to sail solo, contemplating forgoing having room service? I normally order juice & coffee for early morning before I head out to the MDR for a full breakfast but am wondering whether to forget about it. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

I can understand your concern about cruising solo and opening the door to a stranger delivering anything to you.

I feel that what happened was a once in a life time incident on HAL (or any other cruise line for that matter).

Don't be afraid -- and have a great cruise.

I have a personal screamer about the size of a pager. The pin is attached to a cord and when the pin is pulled the sound is ear splitting. The batteries can only be removed with a screw driver.

I carried it when I was living alone and had to park at night in a parking lot. I think it would be a handy thing to have when travelling solo, whether on a cruise ship or in a hotel. Even if you never have to use it, it gives peace of mind.

For our next cruise I have ordered a door alarm from Magellan. It is something I never gave a second thought to before as we always felt safe on a Holland America ship. It seems our bubble has been burst and I will be taking along the screamer as well as the door alarm.

Another poster in one thread mentioned that she would instruct her steward to leave her drapes open at turndown. I plan on also telling him to not turn out the balcony light as well as leaving the drapes open.

The recent event has shaken me terribly and taken away my naive approach to cruising. I hope I can regain my confidence but I really don't know if I can.

I have a personal screamer about the size of a pager. The pin is attached to a cord and when the pin is pulled the sound is ear splitting. The batteries can only be removed with a screw driver.

I carried it when I was living alone and had to park at night in a parking lot. I think it would be a handy thing to have when travelling solo, whether on a cruise ship or in a hotel. Even if you never have to use it, it gives peace of mind.

For our next cruise I have ordered a door alarm from Magellan. It is something I never gave a second thought to before as we always felt safe on a Holland America ship. It seems our bubble has been burst and I will be taking along the screamer as well as the door alarm.

Another poster in one thread mentioned that she would instruct her steward to leave her drapes open at turndown. I plan on also telling him to not turn out the balcony light as well as leaving the drapes open.

The recent event has shaken me terribly and taken away my naive approach to cruising. I hope I can regain my confidence but I really don't know if I can.

Never heard of a screamer. Where would I purchase one?

This is the OP as I see it...

has something been removed or edited??

How did we go from asking about room service for a solo traveler to the "incident" that happened a few weeks ago?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Edited by FoghornLeghorn

Can't understand the point of doing that. They know how many people occupy a cabin. If I answer to let him in and pay a tip, who is supposed to be in the shower?:confused:

Someone. Anyone. So it seems you're not alone.

This is the OP as I see it...

has something been removed or edited??

How did we go from asking about room service for a solo traveler to the "incident" that happened a few weeks ago?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Because that was a solo traveler and the incident in the attacker's mind started with delivering room service in the morning.

(took me a minute, too, to really get what they were asking)

Someone. Anyone. So it seems you're not alone.

Because that was a solo traveler and the incident in the attacker's mind started with delivering room service in the morning.

(took me a minute, too, to really get what they were asking)

Okay, thanks....thought I was missing something, or having another one of my blonde moments :)

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Can't understand the point of doing that. They know how many people occupy a cabin. If I answer to let him in and pay a tip, who is supposed to be in the shower?:confused:

The steward can think you made a new friend. ;)