Wow What A Ride. Caribbean Princess, 22 Feb to 1 Mar 2014

4x4bob

Just back from the 7 Day Western Caribbean Cruise on the Caribbean Princess that went out of Foggy Point (Bay Port Texas).

We won the Cruise Lottery on this Trip because from day one every thing went prefect for us.

Last October we jumped on the Free Cruise promotional out of San Pedro Calif for a 4 day trip. We waited until the Second week of November, the returned credit was burning a hole in our pocket, to sign up for this Cruise.

Being a little worried about transportation problem from George Bush Airport to the ship we signed up for the Princess Transportation/Hotel package.

We asked Marie, Princess Agent, for a room in the Houston Four Seasons Hotel, a 5 star hotel, and she obtained a room for us.

Then we started to play the price game with airlines. We wanted a direct flight from Sacramento to Houston because we were concerned that a connecting flight might go to a frozen airport some place that we could not get out of.

We ended up with United Airlines. Now United is just like a campground that we visit some times with our travel trailer. That campgrounds moto is Keep On Adding. Pay for your suitcases, want a little extra leg room, pay. Want a snack, Pay. And, when the ticket is printed out the gate is Not yet assigned. On a direct flight that is not a problem, but when we had a connecting flight in Denver coming home with less then 30 minutes to find the gate and then get there it was a minor problem.

So the day finally comes and we get up at O-Dark Thirty (2:00AM to be ready) to catch the Super Shuttle at 3:30.

Every thing goes smooth and we find the Princess Rep waiting for us at baggage claim in at George Bush Airport. She checked us off her list and said wait here I will get your driver. She leaves and comes back and introduces Alex.

Alex then leads us out to his Lincoln Town Car. Now that was a surprise since we were expecting a bus. Then 30 minutes later we were at the Hotel.

Another Surprise. Right across the street from the Hotel is the multi-story Houston Mall. Lots of shops and places to eat. The Mall is connected to the Hotel with a covered walkway on the third floor.

We ate dinner in the Texas Grill. Was our first exposure to fun loving Texans. The laughter went on for ever . The only people sitting quiet a their table were what I suspected were other tourist. They mostly sat looking around like they fully expected someone to sneak up on them with a hot branding iron or something.

The Next morning 71 passengers gathered in the lobby for the bus ride to the ship.

We rode past the refinery forest and arrived at the parking lot at about 2:30. Several other buses had just unloaded and some private cars were parking in the parking lot out front. A lot of people were milling around out side waiting for something. We walked around them down to the left side door for privileged, showed our paper work and was let inside.

At the Security check point the people scanner was going off on just about every one that went through it which caused a slow down for a hand scan.

I had planned ahead and put every thing in my pockets into a small bag with draw string that I carry for security check points. I still set off the bell and was led over to the person with hand wand. Then we went inside and joined the end of the line. After about 15 minutes we reach the split that allowed us to go off to the right into the very short privileged line. The other line wrapped around the end side of the bldg. Don't know how long it took to clear that line. We were almost up to the desk when another lady walked up behind us. She did not know that she could join us because she was in a Suite. (Suite, Platinum, and Elite)

Last October we did a game change. Instead of reserving a mini suite or balcony cabin we switched to a Ocean view. That way we would go more times each year. I researched photos of obstructed views and selected E407 on deck 8. It was between two lifeboats and had very little stuff outside the window.

DEPARTURE/RETURN: Voyage: B409 was one of the Lucky Ones. We departed on time. Then Friday night the Capt announced at 6:00, during dinner, that the Harbor Master had advised him that the Port would be closed Saturday Morning due to Fog. The Capt stated that he was going to put the pedal to the medal and make a fast run for the harbor and try to get us in. He did just that. We docked a little before midnight on Friday. Everybody got off the ship on time Saturday.

THE SHIP: Overall we found the ship to be in good shape. We saw the crew cleaning and painting during the entire cruise. We did not see any signs of worn carpet, peeled hand rails, or anything that did not work.

The ship crew really picked up the pace on cleaning after the Captain announced that Capt NORO had boarded the ship. More in minute.

THE PASSENGERS: 3,080, give or take a few, passengers on board. Most were very friendly. I talked to people from Norway to Canada. From Texas to Wisconsin. From Minnesota to Nevada.

I moved around the ship a lot and participated in a lot of activity on board. In my best guess there were only about 200 or maybe 250 people on board that were raised by a Mother who did not love them enough to teach them good Manners.

One thing that I really noticed was, walk into an elevator, stand in line, sit in the theater and every one around you was looking around but not talking to their neighbors. However, every time I said Hi, How is your day going, did you do anything interesting today, etc, etc. they would talk to me for ever.

I found out about the country they came from, discussed cameras, tours, concerns about NORO, how nice the weather was and how calm the sea was, etc. And, are you ready for this? I would also discuss Cruise Critic Message Board. On your next cruise just say Hi and see what happens.

DINING: When we Booked this Cruise we requested Early Seating. When we were issued our cards we saw Dining Room: Palm, Time 5:45, Table:61.

Hooray, we had scored a two top table with out having to go pester the Matre 'd.

Our Waiters, David and Ben, were outstanding.

And the big Surprise was that Hector was assigned to the Palm Dinning Room and he sang for us three different times. Plus, again during the Culinary Arts Show in the Theater.

We had first saw/heard Hector sing on our '08 Panama Canal Cruise so the Wife was very happy to see him again.

Since the topic of Food is very subjective I will only say that my shadow expanded about 5 pounds.

Will take a break now and hunt up a cup of coffee. Will be back in a little while.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

Just back from the 7 Day Western Caribbean Cruise on the Caribbean Princess that went out of Foggy Point (Bay Port Texas).

We won the Cruise Lottery on this Trip because from day one every thing went prefect for us.

Last October we jumped on the Free Cruise promotional out of San Pedro Calif for a 4 day trip. We waited until the Second week of November, the returned credit was burning a hole in our pocket, to sign up for this Cruise.

Being a little worried about transportation problem from George Bush Airport to the ship we signed up for the Princess Transportation/Hotel package.

We asked Marie, Princess Agent, for a room in the Houston Four Seasons Hotel, a 5 star hotel, and she obtained a room for us.

Then we started to play the price game with airlines. We wanted a direct flight from Sacramento to Houston because we were concerned that a connecting flight might go to a frozen airport some place that we could not get out of.

We ended up with United Airlines. Now United is just like a campground that we visit some times with our travel trailer. That campgrounds moto is Keep On Adding. Pay for your suitcases, want a little extra leg room, pay. Want a snack, Pay. And, when the ticket is printed out the gate is Not yet assigned. On a direct flight that is not a problem, but when we had a connecting flight in Denver coming home with less then 30 minutes to find the gate and then get there it was a minor problem.

So the day finally comes and we get up at O-Dark Thirty (2:00AM to be ready) to catch the Super Shuttle at 3:30.

Every thing goes smooth and we find the Princess Rep waiting for us at baggage claim in at George Bush Airport. She checked us off her list and said wait here I will get your driver. She leaves and comes back and introduces Alex.

Alex then leads us out to his Lincoln Town Car. Now that was a surprise since we were expecting a bus. Then 30 minutes later we were at the Hotel.

Another Surprise. Right across the street from the Hotel is the multi-story Houston Mall. Lots of shops and places to eat. The Mall is connected to the Hotel with a covered walkway on the third floor.

We ate dinner in the Texas Grill. Was our first exposure to fun loving Texans. The laughter went on for ever . The only people sitting quiet a their table were what I suspected were other tourist. They mostly sat looking around like they fully expected someone to sneak up on them with a hot branding iron or something.

The Next morning 71 passengers gathered in the lobby for the bus ride to the ship.

We rode past the refinery forest and arrived at the parking lot at about 2:30. Several other buses had just unloaded and some private cars were parking in the parking lot out front. A lot of people were milling around out side waiting for something. We walked around them down to the left side door for privileged, showed our paper work and was let inside.

At the Security check point the people scanner was going off on just about every one that went through it which caused a slow down for a hand scan.

I had planned ahead and put every thing in my pockets into a small bag with draw string that I carry for security check points. I still set off the bell and was led over to the person with hand wand. Then we went inside and joined the end of the line. After about 15 minutes we reach the split that allowed us to go off to the right into the very short privileged line. The other line wrapped around the end side of the bldg. Don't know how long it took to clear that line. We were almost up to the desk when another lady walked up behind us. She did not know that she could join us because she was in a Suite. (Suite, Platinum, and Elite)

Last October we did a game change. Instead of reserving a mini suite or balcony cabin we switched to a Ocean view. That way we would go more times each year. I researched photos of obstructed views and selected E407 on deck 8. It was between two lifeboats and had very little stuff outside the window.

DEPARTURE/RETURN: Voyage: B409 was one of the Lucky Ones. We departed on time. Then Friday night the Capt announced at 6:00, during dinner, that the Harbor Master had advised him that the Port would be closed Saturday Morning due to Fog. The Capt stated that he was going to put the pedal to the medal and make a fast run for the harbor and try to get us in. He did just that. We docked a little before midnight on Friday. Everybody got off the ship on time Saturday.

THE SHIP: Overall we found the ship to be in good shape. We saw the crew cleaning and painting during the entire cruise. We did not see any signs of worn carpet, peeled hand rails, or anything that did not work.

The ship crew really picked up the pace on cleaning after the Captain announced that Capt NORO had boarded the ship. More in minute.

THE PASSENGERS: 3,080, give or take a few, passengers on board. Most were very friendly. I talked to people from Norway to Canada. From Texas to Wisconsin. From Minnesota to Nevada.

I moved around the ship a lot and participated in a lot of activity on board. In my best guess there were only about 200 or maybe 250 people on board that were raised by a Mother who did not love them enough to teach them good Manners.

One thing that I really noticed was, walk into an elevator, stand in line, sit in the theater and every one around you was looking around but not talking to their neighbors. However, every time I said Hi, How is your day going, did you do anything interesting today, etc, etc. they would talk to me for ever.

I found out about the country they came from, discussed cameras, tours, concerns about NORO, how nice the weather was and how calm the sea was, etc. And, are you ready for this? I would also discuss Cruise Critic Message Board. On your next cruise just say Hi and see what happens.

DINING: When we Booked this Cruise we requested Early Seating. When we were issued our cards we saw Dining Room: Palm, Time 5:45, Table:61.

Hooray, we had scored a two top table with out having to go pester the Matre 'd.

Our Waiters, David and Ben, were outstanding.

And the big Surprise was that Hector was assigned to the Palm Dinning Room and he sang for us three different times. Plus, again during the Culinary Arts Show in the Theater.

We had first saw/heard Hector sing on our '08 Panama Canal Cruise so the Wife was very happy to see him again.

Since the topic of Food is very subjective I will only say that my shadow expanded about 5 pounds.

Will take a break now and hunt up a cup of coffee. Will be back in a little while.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the review as we are boarding the CB on March 29 and getting more excited as the day approaches. Reviews like yours help fuel our excitement. We can hardly wait to continue on with your BIG adventure!

NORO: This topic is always a concern for those who are planning on going on a ship due to all of the bad publicity giving by the talking heads on TV. People have a greater chance of catching NORO using a shopping basket, kids coming home from school, traveling on an airplane, etc.

Tuesday at 6:00 PM during our dinner, the Capt came on the speakers to announce that the famous Pirate Capt NORO had boarded the ship and was taking captives. (hay, we are in the Caribbean, right?) The Capt then went on to state that special procedures would be in effect.

This meant that there would be no self service in the Buffet. No salt/pepper shakers would be out, etc. And, the Capt stated that everyone should practice a lot of hand washing. And, the crew will be busy washing down hand rails, buttons on elevators, doors, etc. Also, Purell dispensers will be out and people must use them before going into the Buffet or Dining Rooms.

I had purchased the pocket sized containers of Purell advanced and Zylast for our hands. We washed hands often and used the Purell before eating.

We did not come down with NORO, however I did see some Red Bags in the hallway and some crew wearing face masks and rubber gloves.

Two days later the Capt came back to state that the cases of NORO were very light and no new ones were showing up. That the special procedures would continue.

TOURS: We signed up for four ship sponsored tours. 1. Cozumel. Tulum Mayan Ruins, Playa del Carmen & Shopping. 2. Rotan. Aerial Chairlift & Mahogany Bay Beach Break. 3. Belize City. Altun Ha Mayan Ruins and City Drive. 4. Houston. Houston Landmarks and George Bush airport transfer.

For people who have not taken a Ship Sponsored Tour here is some important information. Do not blindly follow the people in front of you. Keep an eye on the tour guide. The other people may see something off to the side and want to look at it. You follow them and the rest of the tour walks off into the sunset.

1. We met in the theater and were sitting the second row. The ship staff said go out by rows. We stand up and follow the people next to us down and out of the ship. Now, at the same time the Carnival Liberty was docked next to us. And they were also sending out tour groups.

There was a group of about 50-75 from the Liberty milling around on the dock trying to figure out what to do. The four people in front of me joined them.

I told my wife that this is not right, we must walk to end of the pier, then through the shopping area over to the next pier to board our Ferry that will take us to the main land for the tour. The wife was a little concerned because there was not Princess guides in sight.

We make it to the Ferry and board. It takes about 45 minutes to reach the pier in Playa del Carmen at which we board buses.

Half way to the Ruins the bus stops for a Rest Room break/Tourist Trap. :D

When we get to the Ruins our guide Juan, tells us to be very careful walking through the shopping area. There are a few scam artists who will try to trick us into buying something. One example, four individuals dressed up as pirates will offer to take your camera and take pictures of you with the other pirates. They will shoot off several pictures as fast as they can and state that you now owe $60.00 for the photos. They will not give back your camera until you pay.

Our guide provides great detail about the Mayan ruins and then we wonder around for photo's.

We get back about 15 minutes before ship departure time. This is one reason to go on a ship tour for this type of long distance tour.

2. Rotan. Watched the ship back up the Channel to the Dock. The chair lift ride was fun and it went past the dolphin pen. They were feeding the dolphins so we got to see them swimming and jumping around in their pen. Rotan was the most pretty of the three stops on this cruise.

3. Belize City. The trip out to the ruins Altun Ha was on primary highway until the last 14 miles. Then we transferred to a one lane road that would have made a jeep club happy. We were more impressed with the ruins Altun Ha then Tulum.

4. Houston. Tour the city with a good guide who provided lots of local information. A rodeo was going on at the same time so our bus had to change from the planned trip a few times. Then we were driven to the airport.

SHIP ACTIVITIES: The Platter is your friend. Keep it with you during the day so you will not miss anything that you want to do. Here is some of things that we did; Theater after dinner for shows twice, Pub lunch, Paper Airplane contest, Kereyokiee, fruit/vegetable carving, ice carving, balloon drop dance, after noon movie in theater, elite cocktail in Sky Walkers, Jackie Kennedy jewlery presentation, Two formal nights with photo being taken all over the ship, Bingo, Trivia contest. Plus sitting around in a lounge reading my Kindle. Probably forgot somethings.

Wife went to the Jackie Kennedy Presentation then went over to the Jewelry shop for a drawing. Wife purchased a ring and then found that she had won a replica Jackie Kennedy watch. I was sitting in the theater when she showed up and showed me her loot. I trying hard to keep smile on while thinking how many weeks will I be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to pay for these items? :D The surprise came, when she told me she won the watch.

So now we are back home and will start to plan our next trip which should be in September for Wife's birthday.

Bob

Sorry about the small print. I had to post this into word, then copy and paste back into cruise critic to get it to post. It would drop me when I hit the post button. Then it comes back as small print, Grr.

bob

Edited by 4x4bob

bob what were the rule of the paper airplane making contest. we have done the boat one

Sue;

The staff hung a large plastic ring by string from the balcony rails on deck 6. Think hoola hoop.

Then the staff gave a sheet of paper to anyone who wanted to play. They had to fold an air plane.

Then from the opposite side of deck 6, by the elevators, they tried to fly their plane through the hoop.

The staff handed out small prizes. Only one airplane went through the hoop. The others went every where except close to the hoop. A lot of people sitting in chairs on Deck 5 were surprised when a paper airplane dropped down on them.:eek:

It was a lot of fun to watch.

Bob

Hi Bob we are on her on 3/8, can you tell me what time the bus arrived at the Four Seasons to get ya'll? We have this same setup, fly into IAH, 1 night at the seasons then transfer to ship. Wondering if we have time to jet out for full breakfast in the am or better to grab a snack? Curious as I saw you arrived at 2:30 to the ship When we left NY 2 years ago we got their earlier than that I beleive.

Oh and one more question...did you tour in Belize include the lunch...curious about if there was time for shopping...ours has lunch and gets back at 2:15

Edited by cruzrbachoua

Hi Bob we are on her on 3/8, can you tell me what time the bus arrived at the Four Seasons to get ya'll? We have this same setup, fly into IAH, 1 night at the seasons then transfer to ship. Wondering if we have time to jet out for full breakfast in the am or better to grab a snack? Curious as I saw you arrived at 2:30 to the ship When we left NY 2 years ago we got their earlier than that I beleive.

Oh and one more question...did you tour in Belize include the lunch...curious about if there was time for shopping...ours has lunch and gets back at 2:15

Hmm, I am wondering my self where the 2:30 came from. I must not have been over Jet Lag.:D

Now that I am paying attention here is what happened to us at the Four Season.

When we signed in at the Desk the Princess Rep was standing there. She handed us a nice letter welcoming us to the Hotel. Then she stated that we would meet here at the far side of this lobby. Show up between 11:00 and 11:45. By 9:00 the Hotel staff will collect the luggage from your room that you want transported to the ship. You will check to make sure that your luggage is sitting by bus before you board. You may hand carry on the bus small luggage just like on an airplane.

We arrived at the ship a few minutes after 1:00.

There are three doors on the left side of the Terminal. The right side door is for Blue, Gold, and Ruby passengers. The center door is for passengers who need assistance. The left door is for preferred, Suite, Platinum, and Elite. When we arrived the long line was at the right side door.

Ref your question about breakfast. You could eat breakfast in the Hotel. However, you will get faster service across the street in the Houston Mall.

Several fast food places open before 10:00 with the rest opening after 10:00. Also, across the street from the Mall and the Hotel is a produce market. And, there is a covered walk way from the Hotel on the 3rd floor over to the Mall.

Ref Belize Tour to the Mayan Ruins. No snack or lunch. Several passengers purchased sodas and such before loading back onto the bus to come back to the Port. Belize is a tender port so make notice of the time that the last tender will depart for the ship.

Bob

Oh Bob I did have another question for you...how were the rooms at the hotel? Decent size room...king bed or queen? I am expecting it to be similar to the Pan Pacific or Intercontinental in NY that we stayed at through Princess as well. How about the view of the downtown lights?

Oh Bob I did have another question for you...how were the rooms at the hotel? Decent size room...king bed or queen? I am expecting it to be similar to the Pan Pacific or Intercontinental in NY that we stayed at through Princess as well. How about the view of the downtown lights?

Our Room was on the 6th floor over looking the pool and down town and was a decent size. At night time the pool area is lit up plus all of the lights from the surrounding area.

The room is well equipped with snacks and drinks. The snacks and drinks are behind two cabinet doors under the TV. Be advised that snacks and drinks are not covered by Princess. This is the reason they will ask for a credit card when you check in.

The bed was a Queen and was very comfortable.

In the afternoon if the lobby bar is not open, the bar at the pool is.

Looking forward to read your trip report when your get back.

Bob