Huge problem and we weren't told

Cruisegirl6

Last week we booked two rooms on the Fascination for a getaway. We wanted balcony cabins but there were not two cabins next door to one another so we opt for ocean view cabins on the Empress deck. Looking at the Carnival deck plans it showed only two cabins available...ok we booked these two cabins E69 and E71. Tonight we wanted to upgrade our cabin to balcony as there were two next door from one another...I do have a phobia about being on low decks unless I have a balcony (know I can get out lol), anyways they wanted full price for the balcony which we realized but we also were told me have accessible rooms and if somebody in a wheelchair needs the room we be kicked out into another ocean view cabin (only riviera and main decks available and I have a phobia being on the bottom of the ship with no balcony). When I booked I was not told this was accessible and I would NEVER chosen it because of the fact the shower does not have the step and when you shower the entire bathroom be all flooded for a long period of time ugh and the fact somebody may need the room. So now we are not happy with this situation, we also purchased the FTTF and honestly, if we get kicked out and put in the bottom of the ship I am going to be very unhappy. We should of been told of this if we were we never book these two staterooms, now I worry what will happen and on top of things we paid the extra money for the FTTF which probably be for nothing if we have to be moved.

I understand people in wheelchairs need these rooms and it is not my fault but I felt that Carnival should of told us about this and if they did I would not be in this situation.

Has anybody had an accessible room and did not need it and did they move you out of your cabin? If this happens to me I going to demand for a balcony cabin as I have a phobia and I don't expect to pay for it either because there are many balcony cabins still available and the cruise is just in five days from now.

Anybody want to comment...I am really stressed out and I don't need this stress part of us going away on this trip is because I been ill since July and I finally able to eat and hold down my food and need to get away now I got this stress. :(

Edited by lyndamr

I understand they should have mentioned the accessible room to you but hopefully since it's just 5 days away it'll work out for you. But I'm confused with the FTTF. How would that be a waste of $ if you changed rooms? Good luck!

I'm so sorry that this mess is upsetting you- I understand how it can be frustrating when you don't know what's going to happen.

But hopefully, since your cruise is only 5 days out now, you won't get bumped! After all how many handicapped people will be booking this late? Hopefully for your sake, none!

Enjoy your cruise and I'm happy that you're finally starting to feel better!

I was booked into an accessible cabin by a Carnival rep when I made my reservation over the phone. We were not told that it was an accessible cabin. I give Carnival a free pass for not telling us because one of the passengers on my cruise profile (my 4 year old daughter) does have a flag that she needs an accessible cabin, so I figure they somehow saw that even though she is not cruising with us this time.

When I found out it was an accessible cabin by looking at the online ship map info, I called to find out the deal with accessible cabins when they are not requested or needed by the person booked in them. The rep said that they did not currently have any comparable cabins available that were not accessible. We are booked on the Panorama deck, so that wasn't shocking. I asked 3 times if there was a chance that we would be bumped down to a low deck. I was assured 3 times that it is not how they bump people. I was told that if someone requested the accessible cabin, we would be moved, but could not be downgraded to a lower category room. Since we are on Panorama, she said we may be upgraded to a different cabin type. I asked her to put a note on there that we had a very strong preference to not be put in a cabin lower than deck 6. It is a personal preference, but I hope it all works out.

If you are told something different, please let me know. I am also anxious about how this will all work out.

if they move you it will be to another balcony room, Considering that your cruise is 5 days I doubt highly you will get moved from that room.

the plus side that room has a bigger bathroom and I never had a water issue with the shower running all over the place when i had one of those rooms.

stop stressing so you can enjoy the cruise

Im so stressed over this omg lol its not like me but I am lol. I also worry that my elderly father in law is in this room and the shower will run all in the bathroom and he could slip and fall, boy, didn't think going away be stressful (trying to smile)

Greg204- I paid for the FTTF and if we get kicked out of our room because its needed (which I understand) our room won't be ready so it be a complete waste of money as we were planning on bringing our luggage on board and right into the cabin.

Thank you everybody...I am hoping like most of you said that if I wasn't changed by now it be all ok.

If the bathroom is large doesn't that mean the room is smaller?

I really need this trip just to get mentally strong again and just air out and relax. I thank you so very much for your caring and concern..and ShadyLady I am better but not all well but better (I take it lol) thank you for your kindness....you all are great and you all made me feel better now.

Edited by lyndamr

OP I wouldn't worry about being moved. Less than a week out, that's probably why the rep didn't tell you. I would expect that if you needed an accessible room, you wouldn't wait to the last minute knowing how few and far between they are. And I've never heard of the water flooding those bathrooms. I also don't like being on the lower decks and avoid it at all costs, so I understand.

Get your suitcases out and get ready to go on vacay. The Fascination was my first cruise. Thanks to her, I've been hooked ever since!

Cruisinisthebest I love your name lol. Your right like everybody else if the accessible is needed they would have it assigned by now.

About the bathroom flooding, I meant they don't have that step that holds the water in the shower only it actually runs to the toilet and the sink. Yikes lol

My other half took me on the Fascination last May for my 50th we had a suite it was nice. I love the Fascination easy to get around, very quaint and you get to meet nice people and bump into them from time to time, unlike a large ship you find nice people and never seen them again. Too bad your all not going with me it be fun.

And they most likely are not going to move you last minute, so your FTTF will be good for which ever room you are assigned, and if it wasn't transferred to a new room if moved, I'd request the $ be refunded.

I have to say that I have looked into booking a handicap room on Carnival to cruise with my mother and unlike other cruise lines there is not a box to check and filter results of sailings with accessible rooms available, and from what I know the cruise lines do no require proof of need, I would think if someone wanted to cruise at this short notice the answer would simply be sorry there is not an accessible cabin available this sailing pick another. My PVP told me I'd need to call her with sailings I was interested in and she could check accessible cabins, but I like to just see what all options appear. *shrug* I found the solo rate link so I can just go by myself...shhhh don't tell Mom I said that. :D

We've been in the accessible room before and the shower is surrounded by a drain in the floor all the way around, never had water all over the floor. You did have to watch out for the grate that covered it, it did make noise if you stepped on it by mistake.

Where is the solo link? LOL

The link to Carnival's website where they list cruises that they currently have solo rates with no single supplement so instead of solo having to pay the double occupancy rate I can pay the cost of just one person, so no need to worry about finding a roomie to split costs I can go by myself.

I really hate to be the DebbyDowner but I must say that a few years ago I broke my leg 3 days before our cruise and I called and was reassigned to a wheelchair accessible interior room. I was told at the time that it was available and did not have to move anyone. I had asked that because it was on the Lido deck and that was actually moving us up a few decks, I think we were on the empress inside room. The agent told me they always keep a couple handicap rooms available for last minute. I do hope everything goes well for you. The bathrooms are bigger and really not a problem with the water getting all over the bathroom because of the grate in the floor around the shower.

I booked a Pack N Go cruise on the Fascination last year where Carnival assigns the room. When I got the cabin assigned it was a handicap accessible on the Empress deck. Neither my DH or I are handicapped so I was rather surprised. We were never moved to another cabin.

When I used the shower I would turn the water on to get wet, turn it off and then lather up, shampoo hair and then turn water on to rinse off. The floor hardly got wet. The cabin steward will bring extra towels for the floor if you ask.

I am confident you won't get kicked out of your cabin and your father in law will be fine using the shower.

Have a great cruise, I love the Fascination!

I really hate to be the DebbyDowner but I must say that a few years ago I broke my leg 3 days before our cruise and I called and was reassigned to a wheelchair accessible interior room. I was told at the time that it was available and did not have to move anyone. I had asked that because it was on the Lido deck and that was actually moving us up a few decks, I think we were on the empress inside room. The agent told me they always keep a couple handicap rooms available for last minute. I do hope everything goes well for you. The bathrooms are bigger and really not a problem with the water getting all over the bathroom because of the grate in the floor around the shower.

That was great that they could accommodate you on short notice, hope you were still able to enjoy your vacation as much as possible.

I dont get it? If you have now paid full price for the balcony they cannot downgrade you to an oceanview, accessible cabin needed or not?

What would Carnivals advantage be by removing you a full paying passenger and replacing you with another full paying passenger who needed the accessible when there are no balconies left? none whatsoever!

If you took the chance of booking an accessible when the ship was empty then you have the chance of being bumped because Carnival can sell your cabin and move you with a gain to them of a new booking.

Im so stressed over this omg lol its not like me but I am lol. I also worry that my elderly father in law is in this room and the shower will run all in the bathroom and he could slip and fall, boy, didn't think going away be stressful (trying to smile)

Greg204- I paid for the FTTF and if we get kicked out of our room because its needed (which I understand) our room won't be ready so it be a complete waste of money as we were planning on bringing our luggage on board and right into the cabin.

Thank you everybody...I am hoping like most of you said that if I wasn't changed by now it be all ok.

If the bathroom is large doesn't that mean the room is smaller?

I really need this trip just to get mentally strong again and just air out and relax. I thank you so very much for your caring and concern..and ShadyLady I am better but not all well but better (I take it lol) thank you for your kindness....you all are great and you all made me feel better now.

If they were to move you, which this close to sailing is highly unlikely, your new cabin will be ready because you purchased FTTF.

The agent told me they always keep a couple handicap rooms available for last minute. I do hope everything goes well for you. The bathrooms are bigger and really not a problem with the water getting all over the bathroom because of the grate in the floor around the shower.

I booked a cruise 14 months out and only had one handicap room available according to the agent I talked to. Just know that on our last cruise I had wanted a 4J handicap room and was told they were already booked. Checked during week of departure and same story. Then lo, met someone on the cruise who was moved to a 4J room that week who did NOT require one and did NOT ask for one. I do NOT buy the story they will move someone not requiring handicap for someone who does.

Thank you all...funny, my other half thought of putting rolled towels around the shower floor. Its nice knowing that Carnival accommodates for those who happen to need an accessible room last minute and I believe your all correct the cruise is just in 5 days if this cabin is needed they should of known by now so I not going to stress out about this any longer.

fishtaco- We wanted balcony but we wanted to be next door to one another and there were no two balcony cabins available next to one another, we booked last week never booked a cruise last minute but since I am feeling better the past three weeks, we figured lets take advantage of it and go away now while I am able to. We had no choices but to choose an ocean view cabin fortunately there were two on the Empress deck available next to one another...I really have a phobia about being on a lower deck and not having a balcony. When I called to upgrade to balcony yesterday and found out there were none together available I was also told we both have an accessible cabin and they made it clear that if it is needed they have to move me...I said I cannot be on a lower deck they said that is all thats available...well, I not going to worry because if that should happen since they have balcony cabins available they just going to have to give me one of those but I think everybody is correct here they would of known by now they need it so I think we all are good. I truly need this trip and going to take advantage of going now while I can. :p

Yes, our luggage tags show FTTF.

Edited by lyndamr