Is this cutting in line?!?

yvet

I say it's cutting in line if there is an actual LINE. If there is a gap in the line from someone taking their time scooping some mashed potatoes before the french fries, jump right in, but get right back out!

I never found much of a problem with long lines on Royal because their stations are broken up and short, so it's not just one huge line that goes through the entire buffet. Even on embarkation day, I spend more time trying to find a table than I do waiting in line for food!

I agree with this. I'm a big fan of how RCL has laid out their buffet (Windjammer) as it doesn't lend itself to forming lines. It's more of a pop in, grab what you want, and pop over to another station kind of buffet.

If there were an actual line in front of the item you're desiring, it would be rude to force your way in. Get in line. But if there's a gap, by all means help yourself.

The way I see it, people who are waiting in a long queue behind a slow chooser while there's a large gap ahead are actually creating more of a problem than if they 'cut' the dawdler to keep the line moving.

No, especially when there is a "gap" in that no one else is getting/waiting for the item in question. I don't see why one should have to wait for an item when no one else is there, it actually helps the line to move along and is more efficient. Most buffets these days have discrete stations anyway and there's not one big line. And yes an "excuse me" is expected.

Besides according to many on these boards if it's not explicitly against the rules it's ok so why worry?

Edited by DrD

Most, if not all by now, RCI ships are designed with islands in the buffet, rather than a serving line. By design, you just approach the item you want and maybe just have to wait behind 1 or 2 people. The whole line issue may not even be an issue.

That was true on my Freedom cruise. At breakfast and lunch I seldomed experienced a line at any station that was more than 4 people. I also believe in the "Gap" rule. If I see a gap at what I want and I can grab and go, I do it. I would not get in line at the front of the gap and continue on down that line however as I think that would constitute cutting! :cool:

the only line cutting that is a problem is the made to order egg/omelet station and the lady that was doing the cooking quickly pointed out to anyone that tried where the end of the line started. she kind of reminded me of the soup ****.. no eggs for you

I have to disagree, who determines the line and where it starts/ends in the Windjammer? I've seen people waiting in line behind one slow person while the rest of the station is open, then the line goes away and the next rush of people start from the other end. In my mind the only stations in the windjammer are where you pick up plates/silverware and the carving station.
if the person in front of me is so slow that a decent gap has formed, and I don't want the food they're working on, I just go around them. I figure I've done everyone in line behind me a favor.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It some what is cutting in line but i dont think its bad cutting in line. ive done it and ive had others do it to me i dont worry about it. I am on vacation and little things like that dont really bug me too much. in the windjammer some of the buffett lines are in straight line and some have the stations out in the middle which are circle shaped, which makes it odd.

Now i wouldnt cut ahead of someone in a omellte or a meat station

Edited by trev71

Ok how passing someone in line when they are not moving and studying the food for what seems an hour?

I REALLY know the feeling. If you jump ahead of them, then they get mad. We can't win.

Edited by knittinggirl

I'd say it's line cutting. It's one thing if you ask, 'can I grab a roll'. It's another if you're doing this for all your items. Most of us aren't taking some of everything offered. So why don't we all just 'pop' in and grab what we want?

I let a man 'pop' in for a hot dog. He stayed in the line. I called him on it (there were 2/3 other people behind me). He couldn't go to the end of the line???

He more or less told be he was old, and to get used to it (him cutting in) he was there for the rest of the week. ???

This was day 1.

Examples of rudeness can be given from all angles. Truth is, it's nothing more than a judgement call. Just do what feels like the right thing to do. This sort of thing isn't worth worrying about.

Edited by Aquahound

TBH, I rarely ever see a "line" in the Windjammer, outside of particular circumstance. Omelette bar has a line, sometimes there's one for the carved roast, rarely for the salad. For pretty much everything else? Does one or two people clearly having trouble making up their minds really constitute a queue?

When do you go to the WJ that you "rarely ever see a line"?

One person can be a line. If not, why not have everyone just randomly go to the items they want? That should work out well.

If someone in front of me is undecided, or waiting for an item I don't want, I pass them.

Okay let me first start by telling that this is a legit question not to stirr the pots...

Please if you respond do it with respect towards yourself and others.

And if you can't please just din't respond.....

I'm wondering if you would consider this cutting in line??

When i enter the room of a buffet i start at the end of the line and work my way thru till the end of the buffet with the same people in front and back to me as i started the line.

Now somewhere halfway the buffet are the fries (for example) and after i'm finished round 1 i only would like to have a bit more fries.

If i go to the halfway point (where the fries are) abd i say to somebody in the line excuse me and i grab some fries and i'm out of the way.

Is this considered cutting in line?!?

If you say no this is no cutting in line, when would it be cutting in line? If i also grab at 3/4 way thru a roll?? Or when i do it 3 times in a row??

It happens a lot that after round 1 i only want 1 or 2 thibgs again and i'm always excusing myself and don't elbow my way in....

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

of course it is cutting in line .

whether it's rude or not might be mitigated by lack of large crowd in line, your demeanor of asking , but it is cutting in line.

your question said " If i go to the halfway point (where the fries are) abd i say to somebody in the line excuse me and i grab some fries and i'm out of the way."

the very fact that you feel a need to be excused shows that even yourself knows it is " cutting in line", however you and the other person may manage to make it a non-confrontational action.

to me though it is still cutting in line.

I do this but wait until no one is in front of what I want. They are serving themselves food before what I want, so I don't interrupt the 'flow'. I will stand by what I want and often someone will say to be , "you can get in here". I say , "I just want this", get it and leave the line saying thank you.

I grew up on the good old American method of just standing in the line and moving with the herd. Cafeteria lines, ski lift lines, movie lines, it was always "moooooo."

Then, I went with 2 girlfriends to Club Med in Cancun. It was a cool mix of Americans, Europeans, and some from South America. At the first lunch, all the Americans were doing the "stand in line" thing while everyone else was diving in and out to get what was desired. After that first lunch, EVERYONE adapted to the dive in method. The world didn't fall apart, it actually worked quite well. People waited at the popular items, then flitted around to get the other things. Opened my eyes. Why would I need to wait in a long line past all the stuff I have no interest in to get something at the other end of the line??? By going where I wanted to, I did not hold up the line, no one was shoved behind me, I just went where there was a hole.

I still do it this way at a buffet line. But, I will always ask anyone if I may come in and grab… I am always quick - I know what I want and I don't dawdle. Then, I find my chair at a table and settle in.

If all you wanted is french fries, I see no reason in going to the fries. I do it all the time when I'm picking and choosing things off different lines. As an example, breakfast sausage and then go get some rolls then off for a waffle. I don't see a problem. Like you I just make a comment, just grabbing this... Again JMO, but never had an issue.

That is line cutting and most of us wouldn't like it.

Aren't many of in that line waiting our turn to 'just get a sausage and a roll', for example? Many only want one or two things but you think it okay to put yourself in front of someone who waited their turn? Why shouldn't we all 'just grab' whatever it is we want. If we "just grabbed', it would be chaos. What says we have to stand in line and wait our turn but other people don't have to?

Edited by sail7seas

When do you go to the WJ that you "rarely ever see a line"?

One person can be a line. If not, why not have everyone just randomly go to the items they want? That should work out well.

If someone in front of me is undecided, or waiting for an item I don't want, I pass them.

Actually, one person is more like a point than a line. ;)

That is line cutting and most of us wouldn't like it.

Aren't many of in that line waiting our turn to 'just get a sausage and a roll', for example? Many only want one or two things but you think it okay to put yourself in front of someone who waited their turn? Why shouldn't we all 'just grab' whatever it is we want. If we "just grabbed', it would be chaos. What says we have to stand in line and wait our turn but other people don't have to?

Speak for yourself, whether or not it is cutting in line, it would nt bother me in the least unless it slowed up my progress.