Can you please comment on this itinerary

lovetotraveltx

This is the Celebrity Millenium Itinerary we are considering for June, 2015.

Can those of you that are seasoned in Alaska, please give me your comments.

Thank you!

Date Port/City Activity Arrival Departure Day 1 Seward, Alaska

8:00 PM Day 2 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) Cruising 2:00 PM 6:00 PM Day 3 Juneau, Alaska Docked 9:00 AM 9:00 PM Day 4 Skagway, Alaska Docked 7:00 AM 8:30 PM Day 5 Icy Strait Point, Alaska Tendered 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Day 6 Ketchikan, Alaska Docked 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Day 7 Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

Day 8 Vancouver, British Columbia

7:00 AM

I too was wondering about your post. There are a lot of itinerary options out there for Alaska --- is there something specific you want to know about this particular itinerary?

Personally, we like this itinerary --- we have sailed it quite a few times. We specifically like the port times as well as the ports themselves.

Thanks! I would be "giving up" glacier bay and going on a ship I wasn't originally considering for that reason.

Do like having 4 port days instead 3.

Do like the fact that I can do whale watching in Icy Strait rather than Juneau (assuming the quality is the same) Freeing up Juneau to do other things, ie, the salmon hatchery.

Just wanted to make sure, from those that have been, that this is indeed good.

Off topic a minute. Going southbound to be closest to glacier's from balcony do I want to be on port (which is right side?) or starboard?

Thank you!

Thanks! I would be "giving up" glacier bay and going on a ship I wasn't originally considering for that reason.

Do like having 4 port days instead 3.

Do like the fact that I can do whale watching in Icy Strait rather than Juneau (assuming the quality is the same) Freeing up Juneau to do other things, ie, the salmon hatchery.

Just wanted to make sure, from those that have been, that this is indeed good.

Off topic a minute. Going southbound to be closest to glacier's from balcony do I want to be on port (which is right side?) or starboard?

Thank you!

I wouldn't base any plans on the "hatchery" in Juneau. :) You are going to be early in June. It also is best with a rental car, making a 15 minute stop. :)

Hubbard is forward, and you already must know, that to see the "most" you need to move with the ship, not stay in one place. Port is left side. It doesn't matter what side you choose.

Also depends when in June, last year, had a lot of Hubbard "failures" with turn backs miles away. Early June could be more likely as well.

This is the cruise/itinerary I have tentatively chosen for our next Alaska cruise so I am interested in the replies you get. I agree that your June date will be a bit early for the hatchery. On our last trip to Alaska we saw hundreds of salmon at the Ketchikan bridge a short walk inland from the dock. It was early August.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

From our experience, in Icy Strait you don't even have to book a whale watch excursion. All would miss is the close up to the whales experience. You will see them from the ship, from the tender, and from the shore. At least we did last time we were there. And the time before that we "had breakfast with a whale" that was cruising along right beside our ship as we came into the area where we would anchor. It is a great place to see whales.

Disclaimer - it is well known that when you tell someone they are going to see whales the whales will refuse to cooperate and hide. All I can really say is we saw a lot of them both times we were there.

From our experience, in Icy Strait you don't even have to book a whale watch excursion. All would miss is the close up to the whales experience. You will see them from the ship, from the tender, and from the shore. At least we did last time we were there. And the time before that we "had breakfast with a whale" that was cruising along right beside our ship as we came into the area where we would anchor. It is a great place to see whales.

Disclaimer - it is well known that when you tell someone they are going to see whales the whales will refuse to cooperate and hide. All I can really say is we saw a lot of them both times we were there.

However, the boat tours, go to Point Adolphus which is the highlight. It is not a given to have whale activity near the cruise ship.

Whale watches can be good choices for those who want the close up viewing. For others who want some cruise ship looks, it can be of significant benefit to be out on deck with a good pair of binoculars transiting Icy Strait ( meaning the water way, which is the actual Icy Strait, not a port. :) ) I've had some excellent views, but frequently was out by myself.

Just something to think about...from my research I have read a lot of posts that like the starboard side. The ship usually turns for all views, they say to walk around public areas, so for that reason you get more sunlight on starboard and your balcony could be warmer to be outside. Just a thought!!