Best Ways to Save Money on Drinks

My boyfriend and I are heading on the Breakaway on March 30th. I booked the trip about 3 months ago and just found out last week that the UBP is not available during our sailing (which is pretty frustrating because we easily would have booked a later sailing date, had we known, but whatever) Anyway, we're both decent drinkers, we don't drink heavily all the time, but when on vacation, we do drink more, and we're definitely not light weights and like to try a lot of new things (which is why the UBP would have been perfect for us).

We were budgeting all along planning on spending the allocated $400 a person for our 7 day sailing, but now I'm worried that I'm going to be so concerned during our whole vacation about what we can spend for drinks to stay within the budget that I will end up getting myself upset.

So, from you guys, what are some ways to save the most money while drinking, but still enjoy yourselves?

I am going on my first NCL cruise next week. From what I have heard, certain lounges/bars have different specials. You will be able to locate them in the Daily (?). Also, when you order a bucket of beer, you get the 6th beer free. My husband always ordered the Fosters on Carnival, as that beer gave you the best bang for your buck.

I am going on my first NCL cruise next week. From what I have heard, certain lounges/bars have different specials. You will be able to locate them in the Daily (?). Also, when you order a bucket of beer, you get the 6th beer free. My husband always ordered the Fosters on Carnival, as that beer gave you the best bang for your buck.

Thanks, I heard about the beer buckets, I didnt know different bars had specials though- is that somewhat of like a happy hour type deal? I hope they still do this like that even though it's considered Spring Break.

Stop by the roll call if you'd like to join us!;) See the links below for all the details and you can always get a bar setup in your room and just bring some mixers!:D;)

I actually tried doing that earlier from my phone and it was acting up, thanks, I'll post over there right now :)

Second the rec for a bar set-up in your cabin, if you are liquor drinkers. You can get one bottle (1 liter) each to drink in the room (and out of the room if you don't mind walking around the ship with a drink in hand), which should go a long way and still leaves you about $300 each to order whatever you want in the bars and restaurants.

If you go this route, call and order your set-up ahead of time; it's cheaper that way.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

If you like wine, you could take a few bottles onboard with you. Yes, you will have to pay the corkage fee, but chances are it will still be cheaper in the end.

I definitely recommend the martini and margarita tastings. Try them and see if you like them before you pay for a full size drink.

I am with you on being bummed about the availability of the UBP. We are stuck with cruising Spring Break because of our kids' schedules (dang kids! :p) so no UBP. Good luck and have a great time!

Here's the info for a bar set up~ yes it's a bit pricey! I have also done rum runners with success~ it's all in how you pack them!!

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

When guests purchase a bottle of liquor they can choose 3 garnishes and 3 mixers from the list below once they arrive onboard. **** Mixers consist of 3~ 12 oz cans ~ so bring your own!!

• Bloody Mary Mix • Apple slices• Pepsi• Banana• Club Soda• Carrot• Cranberry Juice• Celery• Diet Pepsi

• Lemon slices• Grapefruit Juice• Lime slices• Orange Juice• Maraschino Cherries• Pineapple Juice• Tonic •Orange slices• Sierra Mist• Peppers• Sweet and Sour Mix• Pineapple wedges• Tomato Juice• Pitted Olives • Strawberries

It all depends on what your drink of choice is

Like others have mentioned, if you like wine, you can bring bottles on board for a fee.

If you like mixed drinks, you can save money by ordering the drink of the day and also save more money if you request it not be brought in the souvenier plastic cup that they automatically bring it in.

If you like beer, they do have bucket specials and get one free.

I have been on 2 NCL cruises out of NY and both times I brought a bottle of vodka onto the ship in my carry on. Both times I told the person at the security scanner that I had wine in my bag before they scanned it. Both times I was told to just go pay the corkage fee before checking in. I did also have wine so I paid the corkage fee and went on my way. Neither time did anyone ask for me to open my bag. Worst case senario is they would take the bottle and give it back at the end of the cruise. I have also brought on the tiny airplane botttles in my checked luggage (just a few) and also had no problem.

If you like mixed drinks, you can save money by ordering the drink of the day and also save more money if you request it not be brought in the souvenier plastic cup that they automatically bring it in.

This is an excellent point!

The shops will have liquor tastings. Go get as much as you can saying things like "that was different, can I have another?". That way you don't look greedy.

Also, you can get free sparkling wine just for hanging out at the art auction.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Islanders

Like others have mentioned, if you like wine, you can bring bottles on board for a fee.

They charge you extra for a cup you may or may not even want? I hate things like that, thanks for letting me know it's cheaper if I order without it. Is this just for drinks of the day or for all mixed drinks?

I will most definitely be getting a few beer buckets :)

They charge you extra for a cup you may or may not even want? I hate things like that, thanks for letting me know it's cheaper if I order without it. Is this just for drinks of the day or for all mixed drinks?

I will most definitely be getting a few beer buckets :)

Yes I don't know the current price but prior cruises the cost was $2.25 extra for the cup. But I think I remember someone posting NCL was catching on and might be charging the same price now. So not sure but I always like to drink out of a real glass and not plastic.

Another thing to consider is how much less you might drink aboard ship on shore excursion days. So you might not have gotten full value from the UBP on those days.

In preparation for my first cruise in 30 years, I have gleaned some info here on CC and copied into a list. Here's some tips from others on NCL ships so not sure if for your ship:

prices of drinks varied depending upon where you got it. Mojitos in Spice were more expensive than the Studio Lounge Bar.

any event that NCL serves complementary alcohol usually punch or sparkling wine, it is an open bar too even though they don't advertise it.

As in Naples and Barcelona, if you dock at the terminal rather than using tenders to ferry you in, at stops on your cruise, you can buy liquor ashore and bring back through security because security is provided by the Port Authority rather than by NCL. Port Authority doesn't care if you bring liquor/wine aboard. If NCL did see you they would store and give back at end of cruise.

A 6 or 8 oz glass of soda with ice is not the same as a 12oz can with ice on the side! So if order soda at bar, ask for can and glass of ice. (Unless you bring on soda which is allowable)

Free liquor tasting the first night starting at 6:00 PM - shots of all types of Bailey's, Scotch, etc...great special prices that night on liquor purchases but don't forgot (as we did) if you buy bottles than you'll have to check your luggage instead of carry-on when you go home.

Purchase Future Cruise Credit on board: Pay 150 and get 150 credit for future booking in next 4 yrs plus 100 OBC now to spend on your drinks.

Edited by MRBOOKEND

If you're a wine drinker, remember that there is a house red and white, by the glass ($5.95) and by the bottle ($24). Plus 15% gratuity. This is available everywhere, but is NOT listed on most menus.

Also, the wine packages will save you about 15% for the cheapest level of wine. You have to purchase a package of 4, 6, or 8 bottles and have a choice of 4 red and 4-6 white selections at each level. This was a decent value and eliminated the schlepping of bottles into the ship (don't forget you're going to pay for THAT wine plus $15 to NCL for 'corkage')

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

My boyfriend and I are heading on the Breakaway on March 30th. I booked the trip about 3 months ago and just found out last week that the UBP is not available during our sailing (which is pretty frustrating because we easily would have booked a later sailing date, had we known, but whatever) Anyway, we're both decent drinkers, we don't drink heavily all the time, but when on vacation, we do drink more, and we're definitely not light weights and like to try a lot of new things (which is why the UBP would have been perfect for us).

We were budgeting all along planning on spending the allocated $400 a person for our 7 day sailing, but now I'm worried that I'm going to be so concerned during our whole vacation about what we can spend for drinks to stay within the budget that I will end up getting myself upset.

So, from you guys, what are some ways to save the most money while drinking, but still enjoy yourselves?

We have taken 10 cruises in the past four years. I like to add up the $$$$ spent on alcohol, including wine with dinner. Most of our cruises are 14 days. DW and I have never exceeded $600 for both of us for a cruise and one cruise was 17 days.

We usually drink more wine, with perhaps a beer after a long day ashore and sometime a martini later. I think $800 for seven days will be plenty unless you drink very expensive brands.

Purchase Future Cruise Credit on board: Pay 150 and get 150 credit for future booking in next 4 yrs plus 100 OBC now to spend on your drinks.

Purchase Future Cruise Credit on board:

Pay $250.00 not $150.00.

Get $250.00 credit for future booking in next 4 years

Get $100.00 OBC on your account to spend as you wish during your current cruise.

Harriet

We have taken 10 cruises in the past four years. I like to add up the $$$$ spent on alcohol, including wine with dinner. Most of our cruises are 14 days. DW and I have never exceeded $600 for both of us for a cruise and one cruise was 17 days.

We usually drink more wine, with perhaps a beer after a long day ashore and sometime a martini later. I think $800 for seven days will be plenty unless you drink very expensive brands.

We usually only drink on cruise vacations without the kids so we are lightweights we spent 800 on drinks last cruise we purchased mostly frozen cocktails, margarita's, beers, rum and cokes, also a good bit of virgin cocktails, adds up very quickly. I was thinking of getting a bar set up to offset the cost, but since I'm partial to frozen daiquiris doesn't make much sense unless I bought my favorite mixers and a magic bullet which does seems like a great idea (whoever mentioned that!)

Op what is fireball whiskey I keep hearing about it, what do you mix with it, any cocktails you make with it??

Thanks for this, I think that has been my mistake not sticking to drinks of the day trying different cocktails across the board in those souvenir cups, not getting beer buckets, what is the best bang for your buck in beers offered on the breakaway are there beers that are more ounces than others?? I really can't wait to be on that ship!

Fireball is a yummy cinnamon whiskey. Tastes just like a red hot candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ellie, thank you I love red hots, do you have a favorite cocktail made with it? I'm thinking straight would be luscious..Does anyone know if a bar set up will even offer fireball as a special request or is that bar set up menu all we can choose from?

Pay $250.00 not $150.00.

Get $100.00 OBC on your account to spend as you wish during your current cruise.

Harriet

Thanks Harriet,

Have updated my list. Guess inflation since OP said $150....

Also, good suggestions by all. This is why I love this site

Randy

Pay $250.00 not $150.00.

Harriet

That $100 OBC is not to spend as you wish - it is used up in your purchase of the FCC. The $100 OBC is NCL marketing BS. You buy a FCC worth $250 and your account is charged a net $150 for it - no extra booze money I'm afraid.

I've never had fireball in a mixed drink, only by the shot. But now you got me thinking. I just found fireball at costco liquor store here in Ct for about 25% less than most other stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums