Bus from Port to city of Edinburgh

Two years ago we did the British Isles cruise and when we tendered in for Edinburgh there was a bus that took you from the port into the city of Edinburgh. This bus costs much less than Princess wanted for a similar shuttle.

Does anyone know if this is still available and if so how much and where it is located. Seems to me Princess shuttle was on the right after getting off the tender and the other bus was on the left (but it could be the opposite.

We are doing this cruise again this summer so any information would be appreciated.

Marilee

We were on the August 16' 2013 Princess British Isles cruise. Once off the tender, and you leave the dock area there was a sign for a shuttle into Edinburgh for 10 GBP, shuttle was to the right of exiting. Since we were on a private tour, I don,t know, where they dropped you or if the cost is each way. it was much cheaper than what Princess wanted $69/pp.

Edited by phabric

We were on the August 16' 2013 Princess British Isles cruise. Once off the tender, and you leave the dock area there was a sign for a shuttle into Edinburgh for 10 GBP, shuttle was to the right of exiting. Since we were on a private tour, I don,t know, where they dropped you or if the cost is each way. it was much cheaper than what Princess wanted $69/pp.

Thank you

This is a very good website which should help you

http://www.cruiseforth.com/content/getting-around/

Thanks for the link. The private shuttle service says it drops you off at city center. We were wanting to go to the castle. Not sure where city center is.

Are there taxis waiting at the pier ? Hoping to share a taxi with fellow passengers to the castle.

Thanks for the link. The private shuttle service says it drops you off at city center. We were wanting to go to the castle. Not sure where city center is.

Are there taxis waiting at the pier ? Hoping to share a taxi with fellow passengers to the castle.

Depending where in the city centre they drop you, it's about 10-20min walk uphill.

Purchase your tickets for Edinburgh Castle in advance as the ticket lines at the castle can be long. Try to get there as soon as possible or even before the castle opens. We had a private tour going to the Castle and were there before it open and there was a long line to get in and when we left 2 hours later there was a Huge line.

Most people go into the first buildings as they enter the Castle, I would suggest walking to the top of the castle and work your way down to avoid the crowds, we seemed to avoid the crowds doing this.

margord,

I also read a review from DeLorean Girl (and from a cruiser who followed her directions last summer) about walking to the train station from the port & taking the train into Edinburgh for 4.60 return (about a 12-minute ride). The walk to the station does involve a long set of stairs, but DeLoreanGirl said they weren't really bad, unless you have mobility issues. The second reviewer said it was about a 15-minute walk from the Edinburgh train station to the castle.

castles on the Royal mile in the old town i would imagaine that they will drop you on princess street at the waverly train station which is sort of between the old town and new town (victorian new town this is) and it would be 20 minute walk from there up hill at leisurly pace and you get nice views as you walk.

I could be wrong on this but waverly station seems most logical place for pick up and drop off points as its where the tour buses tend to start and finish from. The castle is technically in the city centre as it looks over the city centre

Hi, back from my cruise now so will try to contribute to the Edinburgh questions again. T

he shuttle from South Queensferry is run by a private company and they drop off in Charlotte Square. It's at the west end of Princes Street and it's a very attractive Georgian square. The hoho bus stops here and you could get that to take you up to the castle or you're only a couple of minute walk to Princes Street and from there you'll see the castle in front of you

Hi, back from my cruise now so will try to contribute to the Edinburgh questions again. T

he shuttle from South Queensferry is run by a private company and they drop off in Charlotte Square. It's at the west end of Princes Street and it's a very attractive Georgian square. The hoho bus stops here and you could get that to take you up to the castle or you're only a couple of minute walk to Princes Street and from there you'll see the castle in front of you

I have heard the walk from Charlotte Square to the Castle is mostly uphill. I have contacted two different car services (haven't heard back from either yet) that told 6-8 people. With a full cab/car, it's about 10GPB return and they drop you off at the Castle Esplanade.

I have heard the walk from Charlotte Square to the Castle is mostly uphill. I have contacted two different car services (haven't heard back from either yet) that told 6-8 people. With a full cab/car, it's about 10GPB return and they drop you off at the Castle Esplanade.

The walk from anywhere in Edinburgh to the castle is mostly uphill! The castle was built on an extinct volcano which towers above Edinburgh city centre. I wouldn't bother booking a car but just flag down a black cab - of which there are very many in Edinburgh. It would only take a few minutes to get up to the castle but to be honest we don't mind the walk either as we walk through Princes Street Gardens and see some of the lovely buildings on The Mound.

The walk from anywhere in Edinburgh to the castle is mostly uphill! The castle was built on an extinct volcano which towers above Edinburgh city centre. I wouldn't bother booking a car but just flag down a black cab - of which there are very many in Edinburgh. It would only take a few minutes to get up to the castle but to be honest we don't mind the walk either as we walk through Princes Street Gardens and see some of the lovely buildings on The Mound.

I guess I should explain my situation a little more fully. I am traveling with five others who are elderly and cannot handle a 10-20 minute walk uphill. My goal in Edinburgh is to be dropped off by a cab/car at the Castle Esplanade where my travel partners will "hang out and people watch" while I tour the Castle for 60-90 minutes. We will then meet up at the Esplanade and walk down the Royal Mile to Holyrood (I understand this is flat or slightly downhill, please correct me if I'm wrong). We will catch a cab at Holyrood back to the ship at South Queensferry. Is this workable?

• 4 weeks later...
margord,

I also read a review from DeLorean Girl (and from a cruiser who followed her directions last summer) about walking to the train station from the port & taking the train into Edinburgh for 4.60 return (about a 12-minute ride). The walk to the station does involve a long set of stairs, but DeLoreanGirl said they weren't really bad, unless you have mobility issues. The second reviewer said it was about a 15-minute walk from the Edinburgh train station to the castle.

Would love to know the name of the tour guide you had for Edinburgh Castle. Did you also have one for the Royal Mile? Any info would be much appreciated. We are arriving on the Celebrity Inifinity in June.

Anne

Purchase your tickets for Edinburgh Castle in advance as the ticket lines at the castle can be long. Try to get there as soon as possible or even before the castle opens. We had a private tour going to the Castle and were there before it open and there was a long line to get in and when we left 2 hours later there was a Huge line.

Most people go into the first buildings as they enter the Castle, I would suggest walking to the top of the castle and work your way down to avoid the crowds, we seemed to avoid the crowds doing this.

Would love to know the name of the tour guide you had for Edinburgh Castle. Did you also have one for the Royal Mile? Any info would be much appreciated. We are arriving on the Celebrity Inifinity in June.

Anne

I guess I should explain my situation a little more fully. I am traveling with five others who are elderly and cannot handle a 10-20 minute walk uphill. My goal in Edinburgh is to be dropped off by a cab/car at the Castle Esplanade where my travel partners will "hang out and people watch" while I tour the Castle for 60-90 minutes. We will then meet up at the Esplanade and walk down the Royal Mile to Holyrood (I understand this is flat or slightly downhill, please correct me if I'm wrong). We will catch a cab at Holyrood back to the ship at South Queensferry. Is this workable?

If someone can answer this, that would be great. Princess had a castle tour with no time to walk around town. Or they have a shuttle into town and back. My brother has already booked the castle tour. I'd like to do tha with him, but then walk around on my own and get back to the ship later. An easy way back to the ship like a cab sounds good, or a bus. I don't want to book both.

If someone can answer this, that would be great. Princess had a castle tour with no time to walk around town. Or they have a shuttle into town and back. My brother has already booked the castle tour. I'd like to do tha with him, but then walk around on my own and get back to the ship later. An easy way back to the ship like a cab sounds good, or a bus. I don't want to book both.

The easiest way to do this is to take the private shuttle back to the ship. It costs £5 one way and you can pick it up in Charlotte Square, at the west end of Princes Street. You wouldn't have to book it but pay when you get on. You could easily walk down the Royal Mile from the Castle then walk along Princes Street, preferably through the gardens stopping to admire various buildings and views on the way. Edinburgh is a compact walkable city and this would be easily doable..... unless you were very slow!

Edited by tartanexile81