Different view on tips

sparks1093

Wow, in Canada our minimum wage is over $10/hour and people still tip 10-20%. We own a mid priced restaurant and serving staff make a LOT of money.

All provinces are different, however in Ontario the minimum wage for wait staff is lower than the standard $10 minimum wage.

Wow, in Canada our minimum wage is over $10/hour and people still tip 10-20%. We own a mid priced restaurant and serving staff make a LOT of money.

This statement just adds to those who are looking to save a buck by not tipping.

Two, this statement then would suggest customers at medium or fine dining restaurants should not tip since servers already makes soo much money.

Third, if you own the restaurant, you have the ability to make it a non tipping establishment.

You do realize

Of course. Was there something that suggested otherwise?

I would never accept a job where oi had to share my income with anyone.

How very nice for you. Sounds like you don't have any direct experience with food service work.

I have NO problem with the auto-tipping, but one has to remember that it can be seen as much more than that....for example a family of 4 pays $46 per day for tips. So that is very generous I believe. And yes I know that covers a lot of people who serve us.

My daughter works at a restaurant where they have to TIP OUT the bartender and helper at the end of the evening 3%. and that's 3% of the BILL not 3% of the tip. So if someone leaves a $15 tip and the bill is $70, she really only gets about $12 of that.....and when they get stiffed for hardly any tip, they STILL have to take the 3% out of their pocket.

Edited by Joie

This statement just adds to those who are looking to save a buck by not tipping.

Two, this statement then would suggest customers at medium or fine dining restaurants should not tip since servers already makes soo much money.

Third, if you own the restaurant, you have the ability to make it a non tipping establishment.

I just found in interesting that here in Canada servers get minimum wage and not a reduced wage like in some states. I was not at all eluding to people tipping less in restaurants or on the ship.

I am happy that the staff make good money, therefor would never make it a non-tipping establishment. They are happy to come to work and that rubs off on the customer.

I just found in interesting that here in Canada servers get minimum wage and not a reduced wage like in some states. I was not at all eluding to people tipping less in restaurants or on the ship.

I am happy that the staff make good money, therefor would never make it a non-tipping establishment. They are happy to come to work and that rubs off on the customer.

Unfortunately, many folks who who rant on and on about having to tip use the argument that anyone who makes good money should not be tipped by them. Any of these folks who end up at your restaurant will be stiffing your wait staff.

Cruise "tipping" is not based on US standards! Just like if you travel to other countries, the customary amounts, is vastly different. Everyone looks at the "tips" based on what you would do at IHOP. The employees on the ships, sign up with a contract, with a certain expectation. That expectation is far different than what is preached on these boards. Tip what you want, but don't compare it to US tipping policies because it is not.

Cruise "tipping" is not based on US standards! Just like if you travel to other countries, the customary amounts, is vastly different. Everyone looks at the "tips" based on what you would do at IHOP. The employees on the ships, sign up with a contract, with a certain expectation. That expectation is far different than what is preached on these boards. Tip what you want, but don't compare it to US tipping policies because it is not.

The expectation is they will receive their share of $11.50 pp/pd and yes, that's different than the US standard since it is considerably less.

The expectation is they will receive their share of $11.50 pp/pd and yes, that's different than the US standard since it is considerably less.

Why compare it to the US standard at all. It should be compared to the standard of their homeland.

Why compare it to the US standard at all. It should be compared to the standard of their homeland.

I actually looked up once what a hospitality worker made in the Phillippines and compared it to waht they can make on the cruise ship. They make 3 to 4 times more on the cruise ship than what they would make at home.

I actually looked up once what a hospitality worker made in the Phillippines and compared it to waht they can make on the cruise ship. They make 3 to 4 times more on the cruise ship than what they would make at home.

Why do you think they want these jobs? No one forces them onto the ships. It's a windfall.

I had occasion to eat at restaurants twice yesterday, brunch at IHOP and dinner at a mid-priced local restaurant. The tips for both meals came to $9.25 per person. Makes $11.50 a day look like a great deal:).

When you posted your very clear, very simple, very logical, very succinct take on the great value and fairness of the $11.50 per day gratuity that it would go into such perplexing areas?

I have NO problem with the auto-tipping, but one has to remember that it can be seen as much more than that....for example a family of 4 pays $46 per day for tips. So that is very generous I believe. And yes I know that covers a lot of people who serve us.

My daughter works at a restaurant where they have to TIP OUT the bartender and helper at the end of the evening 3%. and that's 3% of the BILL not 3% of the tip. So if someone leaves a $15 tip and the bill is $70, she really only gets about $12 of that.....and when they get stiffed for hardly any tip, they STILL have to take the 3% out of their pocket.

Wouldn't the tip left in a land-based restaurant for a family of four be based upon the bill for all four people? I don't see how tipping on a ship for four when four are dining is very generous.

When you posted your very clear, very simple, very logical, very succinct take on the great value and fairness of the $11.50 per day gratuity that it would go into such perplexing areas?

I've been around awhile so it's not surprising;).

Should we also adopt the other customs and practices of these countries?

Not sure why you would say that. When you get on a ship, take a moment to look at the flag on the back. Once you leave and enter International waters, you are now out of the USA, and part of a new environment. When you visit another country, or in this case the cruise ship, the customs will be different. Eat at a restaurant, and the "tipping" process may be different. Other "customs" you may not adopt, but you should be respectful of them when you visit. So, no, you do not adopt the customs or practices, but you follow them. Those customs and practices do not follow you home, but stay in that country.

The big point is, you can't compare "tipping" on a cruise ship, or in Canada, or in Europe equal. It is not equal.

Not sure why you would say that. When you get on a ship, take a moment to look at the flag on the back. Once you leave and enter International waters, you are now out of the USA, and part of a new environment. When you visit another country, or in this case the cruise ship, the customs will be different. Eat at a restaurant, and the "tipping" process may be different. Other "customs" you may not adopt, but you should be respectful of them when you visit. So, no, you do not adopt the customs or practices, but you follow them. Those customs and practices do not follow you home, but stay in that country.

The big point is, you can't compare "tipping" on a cruise ship, or in Canada, or in Europe equal. It is not equal.

It isn't about being equal. It is about this persistent attitude that crew members should be grateful to have employment and the opportunity to provide service to cruisers...that the crew members must demonstrate an appropriate level of gratitude to passengers (who spend thousands on a cruise) then balk at $11.50 a day because they don't know where that money is going or heaven forbid, some crew member the passenger doesn't directly witness their efforts receive any compensation from the $2.00.

It isn't about being equal. It is about this persistent attitude that crew members should be grateful to have employment and the opportunity to provide service to cruisers...that the crew members must demonstrate an appropriate level of gratitude to passengers (who spend thousands on a cruise) then balk at $11.50 a day because they don't know where that money is going or heaven forbid, some crew member the passenger doesn't directly witness their efforts receive any compensation from the $2.00.

Wow! Where did THAT come from?

I had occasion to eat at restaurants twice yesterday, brunch at IHOP and dinner at a mid-priced local restaurant. The tips for both meals came to $9.25 per person. Makes $11.50 a day look like a great deal:).

Hmmm. That makes the $11.50 seem like a lot when you put it that way.

At the IHOP and the local restaurant, I presume you were served your meals (sit-down dining, menus, waiters, etc.) and the tip was appropriate. While you have that option on a ship, in my experience, most people eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet (or eat off the ship, particularly lunch). Yes, there are workers at the buffet who work, but if the point is to compare the tip to land-equivalents, then in that case the buffet is a little closer to self-service/fast food where tips aren't customary.

Then when I compare the "hotel" portion of the cruise to what is a customary tip at a regular hotel (i.e., zero), it is making the $11.50 sound like a hefty premium.

As long as they have had auto-tips I've left them on, and we even tipped a waiter extra in cash once. But your post is starting to make me think some more about this.

Wow! Where did THAT come from?

Hmmm. That makes the $11.50 seem like a lot when you put it that way.

At the IHOP and the local restaurant, I presume you were served your meals (sit-down dining, menus, waiters, etc.) and the tip was appropriate. While you have that option on a ship, in my experience, most people eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet (or eat off the ship, particularly lunch). Yes, there are workers at the buffet who work, but if the point is to compare the tip to land-equivalents, then in that case the buffet is a little closer to self-service/fast food where tips aren't customary.

Then when I compare the "hotel" portion of the cruise to what is a customary tip at a regular hotel (i.e., zero), it is making the $11.50 sound like a hefty premium.

As long as they have had auto-tips I've left them on, and we even tipped a waiter extra in cash once. But your post is starting to make me think some more about this.

First, I personally don't subscribe to the theory that $5.80 covers all meals. It's earmarked for my assigned waitstaff and I only have an assigned waitstaff at dinner (people make a big deal about tipping people they never meet, how doe they reconcile tipping someone who is providing service to someone else?). That being said, I always leave a couple of bucks for the person that clears the table at a land based buffet so if the tips are for three meals a day as someone pointed out that's $1.90-ish per meal so that's covered. I do leave a tip for the housekeeper in hotels and that's just for regular cleaning. Onboard ship we also receive our ice bucket filled twice a day and turn down service at night. For everything that is done on our behalf $11.50 is not much at all (and while there are some correlations to what we do on land we must remember that we are not on land).

First, I personally don't subscribe to the theory that $5.80 covers all meals. It's earmarked for my assigned waitstaff and I only have an assigned waitstaff at dinner

You used to have assigned wait staff for all three meals. THEY changed that.

But you are still tipping for three meals, but the other two are behind the scenes.

So, the person serving you at breakfast or lunch? He is actually being tipped by the person he serves at night.

The guy you are tipping at night? He may be serving others for breakfast or lunch, but you are still tipping him.

It's a wash.

Edited by Lace

You used to have assigned wait staff for all three meals. THEY changed that.

But you are still tipping for three meals, but the other two are behind the scenes.

So, the person serving you at breakfast or lunch? He is actually being tipped by the person he serves at night.

The guy you are tipping at night? He may be serving others for breakfast or lunch, but you are still tipping him.

It's a wash.

I leave the tips in place and I don't have to worry about who is getting what, whoever is supposed to get a cut of it, does.

First, I personally don't subscribe to the theory that $5.80 covers all meals. It's earmarked for my assigned waitstaff and I only have an assigned waitstaff at dinner (people make a big deal about tipping people they never meet, how doe they reconcile tipping someone who is providing service to someone else?). That being said, I always leave a couple of bucks for the person that clears the table at a land based buffet so if the tips are for three meals a day as someone pointed out that's $1.90-ish per meal so that's covered. I do leave a tip for the housekeeper in hotels and that's just for regular cleaning. Onboard ship we also receive our ice bucket filled twice a day and turn down service at night. For everything that is done on our behalf $11.50 is not much at all (and while there are some correlations to what we do on land we must remember that we are not on land).

I certainly don't take issue with what others tip or don't tip. I think the OP's point was very specifically to compare the prescribed on-board auto-tip to the equivalent tip on land. And while I may be inclined to agree with you that the two are different (so one should not be used to justify the other), I do find that the pro-high tippers seem to want it both ways. If it suits them, they will point to how the tipping scheme on board compares to the convention at a regular restaurant. If it doesn't suit them, they say you can't compare the two because a cruise is different.