Scooter on Princess to Alaska

WinnieinWA

I'd like to bring my own scooter on Princess to Alaska. How difficult is it to get one on board? My daughter will be there to help me but I'm feeling a bit nervous about bringing my own.

Thank you for any information anyone can give me.

Winnie

I'd like to bring my own scooter on Princess to Alaska. How difficult is it to get one on board? My daughter will be there to help me but I'm feeling a bit nervous about bringing my own.

Winnie

When you say scooter I assume you mean the type that would help you get around the ship. If so there are crew members that will help. Last time we were in San Francisco crew members were behind the scooter pushing while the passenger was driving the scooter up the ramp. There are always scooters on board so I don't think you will have any issues.

Winnie I'm not a scooter user or an expert on scooters so maybe someone else on the boards can give you more advise but I do remember reading on Cruise Critic that the scooters have to fit through the cabin door and for safety reasons cannot be left out in the corridors when you retire for the night. They have to stay in the cabin. You might already know this.

DW brings hers all over the world. If the airlines will fly it, the ships will allow them on board. Please set the speed to low and be patient with able-bodied folk who often do not see you because you are quite often below there field of vision. Elevators will allow you to get around if your patient. Try not to run over other folks getting on the elevator. Most people will help you. Good idea for others in your party to use stairs rather than all try to crowd on an elevator. I usually wait with my DW and when she is on I use the stairs as much as possible. Sometimes you might have to use an up elevator to get down, especially getting to Dinner. All the newer Princess ships were designed to maximize your access.

Another thing to think about. The normal scooter, used on the street/sidewalk is usually four wheel and does not turn sharp corners, found on cruise ships, too well, so a narrow three wheeler, is the ideal model, also think of what you may need on excurtions. Of course a accessible cabin should be a must, as entrance doors are wider, and the size of the cabin is one and a half times the normal cabin in the category, at the same price. :D

Enjoy your cruise.

Cato :)

Winnie

Post your question on our cruise site http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1932997&page=3#. We have one member that always brings her scooter.

Tom

I'd love to see about renting one for my mom when they go on their Alaska cruise June 21st from Vancouver. Anyone have any info on renting them?

Thanks, ang

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Scooters are a great help for those of us that are unable to walk far. You do have to get it into your cabin as they are a hazard to others when left in a hall. Mine is a three wheeler which I travel with. If your personal scooter is too wide for the cabin doorway, you can rent one which will be delivered to your cabin when you arrive and picked up from there when you leave. In that case you can be assisted on board and off board using the ship's wheelchair service. Call your cruise ship company and find out which rental companies they approve of. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'd love to see about renting one for my mom when they go on their Alaska cruise June 21st from Vancouver. Anyone have any info on renting them?

Thanks, ang

Sent from my iPad using Forums

carevacations.com will bring it to the ship and pick it up. Bring a power strip it makes it easier to charge the battery since there are limited sockets in the cabin. You can't leave the scooter in the hallway, but I always leave mine against the wall in front of the elevators without a problem. The travel size scooters usually

Fit in the regular cabin doors and can be parked in the closet area if necessary.

The rental,places all,have scooters that will fit through the doorway.

They are a lifesaver for those with limitations as they give independence to the

One using it as well as their travel companion. I used to rent it, now I have my own that has gone with me all over the world. The airlines don't charge anything and are very accommodating even if you have to transfer flights. Make sure you let Primcess know and the airlines know you will be traveling with a

Scooter.

You can also go on to the Princess Website for information about passengers traveling with disabilities. This is one very small section from the website.

"Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type, and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like any other items, may not be left outside the stateroom. Because of staffing limitations, we recommend you be accompanied by someone who is physically able to assist you both onboard and onshore."

Winnie

I've taken my own scooter on two different Princess ships, and the Disney Wonder, out of San Francisco, Vancouver, and Seattle. I did fine. The main issues you'll find are with the shore excursions--you'll want to book your own, and the ramps can be a bit steep. If your scooter is "low slung", you may have some trouble with bumps, but generally you can nudge it over.

On all three ships, I had a wheelchair cabin, and had plenty of room for my scooter--no trouble at all. The Princess cabin was a bit more spacious and pleasant.

If you have scheduled dining, be sure to allow plenty of time to get to dinner--the elevators do get crowded around mealtimes, and getting on in a scooter with that many people around is a challenge.

If you need transportation out of Seattle to Vancouver, I would go up the night before, but the QuickShuttle is marvelous for getting you and your scooter to the Canada Place area. I found the beds to be very hard at the Pan Pacific--we're going to try the Fairmont Waterfront in March, and we're hoping that will be more comfortable.