Alaska or Caribbean? Which would you choose?

Now I know that these are two completely different cruises, but given the choice, which would you choose? Alaska looks amazing, but is it worth giving up the warm weather of the caribbean?

For me it's the Caribbean every time!. I go to escape the cold in ND in January. My cousins however love Alaska, they go to escape the heat in OK in the summer.

Alaska is an amazing destination. And, personally, I think you need to plan a land tour plus the cruise. Denali should definitely be included in your trip plan.

The Caribbean is beautiful and worth exploring.

I would start doing price comparisons. Look at what is available when you want to cruise. Then choose based on price, itinerary and ship.

Really, you can't go wrong with either, but they are very different experiences.

We have been on a few Caribbean cruises so I would choose Alaska. Alaska is on my bucket list but I want to combine it with a land based tour and I think the kids (aged 9) are still a bit young to enjoy a land based tour and not get bored sitting on a train. And we need a bit more time to save up for the air fares!

If you haven't been to either destination I would chose based on price and itinerary for the time of year you plan on travelling.

I would highly recommend a cruise to Alaska. It is an entirely different type of cruise. The scenery and wildlife are spectacular. We have done 2 cruises there and would do another one. The prices do tend to be a bit higher than most of the 7 day cruises down south. We picked up what I thought was an amazing deal last summer on the Monday/Tuesday sales event. 7 day cruise for 525.00 per person inside room. The ports that you sale out of Seattle or Vancouver are a must see as well. Both times we have been up to Alaska have been the last sailing of the season for the particular ship (September). We had decent weather each time.

My husband and I love cruising in the Caribbean, but Alaska is something that you need to do once in your lifetime. We cruised on the Radiance back in 2010 and it was INCREDIBLE! The ports and sights were just beautiful! It is the kind of cruise where you enjoy the ports and then the ship as not many people hang out at the pool while at sea. The Radiance and many other ships that cruise to Alaska do have indoor (Solarium) pools which is nice.

We had an aft balcony and had a nice sunny day as we sailed by the Hubbard Glacier. So, you can get sun in Alaska, but not sit on the beach kind like in the Caribbean.

Good luck!

Hands down - Alaska! True you won't get the sunshine or be able to sunbath. But Alaska is BEAUTIFUL! It is worth doing at least once. It is one cruise where if you can afford a balcony it is well worth it. If you cannot, it is still an awesome cruise. Also, the excursions really add to the trip. This is one itinerary where I would suggest you go all out. Skip the premium drink package and spend the money on some cool excursions.

Living in Wisconsin we choose Caribbean vacations. If we ever move someplace warmer or are able to take more than 1 big vacation a year then we would pick Alaska.

It's definitely on my bucket list, I'm just not ready yet to give up the warmer vacation!

I see you opened 2 threads on the same subject, so here's what I put on the other one:

Where are you from? I live in the PNW, so I usually prefer tropical climates for my cruises. I did my first Alaska cruise in 2012, as part of a B2B2B, because I wanted to board in Seattle.

But I probably wouldn't do it again, because it is the same scenery that I live in, minus the glaciers.

If it's not something that you don't normally see, choose Alaska...it is really beautiful.

I see you opened 2 threads on the same subject, so here's what I put on the other one:

Where are you from? I live in the PNW, so I usually prefer tropical climates for my cruises. I did my first Alaska cruise in 2012, as part of a B2B2B, because I wanted to board in Seattle.

But I probably wouldn't do it again, because it is the same scenery that I live in, minus the glaciers.

If it's not something that you don't normally see, choose Alaska...it is really beautiful.

Yes my computer was running slow and I clicked on the submit button twice and now I realize you can't delete a thread. Well I live in the NE, but either scenery is different for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alaska is awesome, we did a week on our own renting a motorhome (well worth it) and a cruise for a week if you can go early June prices are cheaper. I definitely didn't enjoy the colder weather but it was beautiful and I got to see a huge humpback whale jump out of the water (had to watch for a long time) right beside the front of the ship. That was my goal!

In the heat of the summer I would choose Alaska every time! As many have already stated if you have never been to Alaska you need to go! If you do go, make sure that you go on an itinerary that does Glacier Bay as it is one of the most awesome nature experiences one can witness!

I have been to the Caribbean a number of times-both by cruise ship and flying, and love my sun and sand. That being said, my sister and I took my Dad to Alaska (he had always wanted to go with Mom, who was too ill) after mom passed away. I was only going there for him...had never cruised before (and had no desire to cruise), and also had no desire to go to Alaska at that time in my life...I discovered that pictures just do not compare to seeing the beauty of nature in person...and am finally getting back to Alaska later this year with my DH for our 25th Anniversary! Choose Alaska...