.......idle jottings

ho-hum

[quote name=ho-hum;49391981

We are staying in an apartment at the Pulman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour between the 17-22 May' date=' 2016.

If you and your partner want to "gawp" at the odd Hum and see the delightful Blondie you may: Hum will even waive the "freak show fee".

Hum will reward you both with a round of drinks and will try to behave properly.

But it will have to be during the day as each evening is accounted for.

Any restaurants you can recommend would be great.[/quote]

Ho-hum, thought I would buy in here and if you had the time, I would thoroughly recommend the Quay restaurant if you were lucky enough to get a reservation. It has a great chef and in a great location, almost next door to Park Hyatt, at the end of the cruise terminal.

Cheers, Millie

Any restaurants you can recommend would be great

One restaurant in the Circular Quay area I would recommend is Aria - the chefs tasting menu with wine pairings is superb!

Easy walk home for you and beautiful view of the bridge and Circular Quay

We loved it :D

and if you think of the cost in Pounds Sterling it will be a bargain :p

The Evil Queen.:eek: Sounds very much like the previously announced Scenic Eclipse. Time will tell. The only thing that jumps to mind from the attached release is that 25,000 GRT is a bit light for a 600' ship. I would expect more like 45,000 GRT. Who knows? Might be made from recycled hummingbird wings.:eek::D

Jim, should be no problem, at all - did you read the most important sentence of this announcement:

"Crystal Endeavor will be built by the Lloyd Werft Group, a collection of four shipyards in Bremerhaven, Germany, which has built over a thousand vessels, including cruise ships, ice-breakers, and megayachts."

That means that this nice yacht will be state of the art, even if they build it with hummingbird wings - it's german engineering (our engineers are phenomenal)!

No - ho-hum, do not remind gcmv about Volkswagen ... :D

Edited by gcmv

Jim, should be no problem, at all - did you read the most important sentence of this announcement:

"Crystal Endeavor will be built by the Lloyd Werft Group, a collection of four shipyards in Bremerhaven, Germany, which has built over a thousand vessels, including cruise ships, ice-breakers, and megayachts."

That means that this nice yacht will be state of the art, even if they build it with hummingbird wings - it's german engineering (our engineers are phenomenal)!

Right you are. I still miss Blohm+Voss.:D

Ho-hum, thought I would buy in here and if you had the time, I would thoroughly recommend the Quay restaurant if you were lucky enough to get a reservation. It has a great chef and in a great location, almost next door to Park Hyatt, at the end of the cruise terminal.

Cheers, Millie

Buy away darling, buy away !

Hum's grateful for any advice but .......... now this is where you and the world (who dont already "know" Hum) will be aghast at what Hum has to say !

Is'nt it full of tourists and passengers from the "big ships" ?

We stayed at the Park Hyatt many years ago so we kinda know the area quite well.

Hum is grateful Millie and he will ask Blondie to check it out again.

Truly grateful.

One restaurant in the Circular Quay area I would recommend is Aria - the chefs tasting menu with wine pairings is superb!

Easy walk home for you and beautiful view of the bridge and Circular Quay

We loved it :D

and if you think of the cost in Pounds Sterling it will be a bargain :p

Yes Bodog, we've eaten there with the Aussie chum who's 50 birthday we are attending.

Nice choice.

And Hum loves wine pairing menus especially those he has never tried (and there are still a few left in the world !).

Yes it's our time to take advantage of the currency position.

And you're right it's 10 minutes away.

Cheers

OK GCMV Hum will not remind you about VW !

Hahaha

Since enquiring minds want to know (or seemed to before their posts disappeared...), I will provide more detail as to why the Windstar Legend (and by extension her two siblings) was rated "Not Acceptable".

The Legend is a grand dame of the seas, well experienced, but potentially not yet over the hill. But she needs a more extensive overhaul than Xanterra, oops I mean Windstar, is likely to pay for. Cosmetically, she looks pretty good, and we saw rusted through areas being cut out and replaced, along with generally good maintenance going on. But the mechanical systems are likely reaching the need for total replacement (just my opinion as an engineer, but no expert on ships).

The hot water went out once at a very inopportune time, but the toilets functioned flawlessly :D

The biggest physical plant issue (getting it now ho-hum?) was that right after casting off from the pier at Barbados, at about 6pm the first day, the air conditioning went out in the cabins. This was not initially noticed by most passengers as everyone was attending sail away and then heading to dinner.

After retiring to our cabin we noticed it was quite warm and I tried fiddling with the thermostat, to no avail. But we prepped to go to bed anyway. It became stiflingly hot, so I called housekeeping. The nice man said "the engineers are working on it and it should be back on in 30 minutes." After an hour, and now drenched in sweat like in a steam bath, I called again. "Oh, it is ship-wide, but will be fixed in an hour." Note that there had been no announcement from the bridge, and no offer to distribute fans or replentish ice.

Keep in mind this is near Barbados, 900 miles from the equator. Very warm and humid area.

We keep believing housekeeping that the A/C will be on "in an hour" and put on bathing suits and lay sweating on the bed, with the cabin door open, now regretting not paying the extra $2,000 to get a cabin with a sliding door to let air in. Standard cabns have very large windows, but they don't open. And the "balcony" cabins only have sliders with a tall railing just outside, nothing you can walk out on.

Finally, even housekeeping stopped answering the phone. No communication from anyone, all night. We never slept. We even took all the items out of the mini bar to lay on the bed to get some cooling. Had we known this would go on all night, we could have gone up on deck and slept on loungers. As it was we layed there sweltering, expecting the a/c to come back on any minute, since there was no announcement to the contrary. Honestly, it was so hot and humid it could have been dangerous for anyone with medical conditions.

Well, dawn finally arrived and we got up and went looking for coffee, and then got ready for our 8:30 shorex. I talked to a uniformed crewman (forget his position) and he said the ship has four generators, with a minimum of three required to be operating to run everything on the ship, including air conditioning. He said they had been sailing with one inopperative generator and that a second one had crapped out, forcing them to shut down air conditioning to keep the "vital" systems going. How long the first generator had been inopperative he did not say. And I suspect the ship had been connected to shore power in Barbados, as the A/C went out as soon as we cast off.

Well, as we were about to depart for our shorex, the captain finally came on the tannoy and appologized for "it being a bit warm last night"! He said a generator had gone out but that they had the required parts on board to fix it and were working on it. (My guess is they were cannablizing one generator to keep the other three going...) He said he hoped it would be fixed by the afternoon. Well, that didn't instill great confidence and so during our shorex I was on my phone constantly, making contingency plans to escape Grenada if we got back and the a/c was still out.

Fortunately, when we returned at 4:30, the cabin was beginning to cool down, so I didn't execute the contingency plans. Later, all guests got a note bestowing a whopping $100 per person credit as compensation....

There were a lot of other issues that I won't bore you with further. And there were some very positive things, but not worth mentioning due to the issues.

Bottom line is we will not cruise Windstar again. Between the clueless captain and the constant cigar smoke, it is obvious that Xanterra considers passengers as just revenue. And as Jim said, they'd probably prefer to transport goats....

Thanks for the info Raggy. What a shame as we really enjoyed those "Little Sisters".

Yes, I could see if they were operated by Seabourn, Regent, etc. they could be quite nice. Such wasted potential...

"Yes, sorry to hear about your woes but tell Hum, was the light OK ?"

Ha-ha, yes, there was more than enough of it! It was shade that was in short supply :p

We were not enamoured of the islands on this trip, except Bonaire and Aruba were nice. While we had some nice outings during our three days on Barbados, we did not really get the attraction. We did not get to the coast north of Bridgetown, where Sandy Lane and other swank places are located, perhaps we missed the best area? We did enjoy the caves, flower forest, and, of course, the monkeys!

The Hilton was so-so. Had great potential but poor management, especially in regards to having blaring music from scratchy speakers everywhere from late afternooon on. And not sure what the folks that recommend the Brown Sugar restaurant are smoking, but we want some! That place was aweful, both food and atmosphere. Best food we had on the island were the fish sandwiches from Cuz's fish shack just outside the Hilton parking lot. That Bajan pepper sauce is da bomb! We brought some home :D

Had a tour and (overpriced but good) lunch at the Mt Gay rum factory. They do make great drinks at their bar:p We bought some T-shirts and several bottles of rum, including their fancy aged one. Since we flew first-class on this trip we had extra luggage along to hold souvenirs, and bubble wrap along with duct tape :D

We really did not care for Grenada and Tobago. There was no reason we could see to go there. We did tours, and so got an overview.

Curacao wasn't much better, and the port area is overrun with corn-feds from mega ships :eek:

Only Bonaire and Aruba are places we would return to. Nice little places with friendly locals and nice beaches. Felt very safe, and Aruba in particular had lots to do.

But if heading down to the far southern caribbean, bring lots of sunscreen and plan to do things early in the morning or very late in the afternoon. The "light" is very strong down there...

Buy away darling, buy away !

Hum's grateful for any advice but .......... now this is where you and the world (who dont already "know" Hum) will be aghast at what Hum has to say !

Is'nt it full of tourists and passengers from the "big ships" ?

We stayed at the Park Hyatt many years ago so we kinda know the area quite well.

Hum is grateful Millie and he will ask Blondie to check it out again.

Truly grateful.

Ha ha, I do know what you mean ho-hum, but, the average tourist won't go here, I promise you. Get Blondie to check out the menu, the chef (Peter Gilmore), his credentials. His food is fabulous. Trust me.

Cheers, Millie

Ha ha, I do know what you mean ho-hum, but, the average tourist won't go here, I promise you. Get Blondie to check out the menu, the chef (Peter Gilmore), his credentials. His food is fabulous. Trust me.

Cheers, Millie

Will do Millie.

Posting this from the Manarin Oriental off Hyde Park, London where last night we ate at Heston Blumenthal's restaurant.....it was divine !

Meals were based on old English dishes, some dating back to 1500 or as Jim would call it "the good old days" !

Gadday cobber.

HH

Will do Millie.

Posting this from the Manarin Oriental off Hyde Park, London where last night we ate at Heston Blumenthal's restaurant.....it was divine !

Meals were based on old English dishes, some dating back to 1500 or as Jim would call it "the good old days" !

Gadday cobber.

HH

Gadday, mate! Heston opened up a temporary restaurant here in Melbourne Hum, just for a taster, for three months. Impossible to get in, it's who you know....you know..... To be able to go to his London restaurant would be quite the experience, lucky you! What did the English eat exactly 1500 years ago. I know they drank wine!

Millie

A visit to London today.

Picked up from our door by a nice Merc and driven to a photo shoot (same driver that drove Raggy to Portsmouth; yes he's just about recovered from the encounter !).

Publicity shots for the BBC documentary about our posh travel company and us on SDII sailing around the Caribbean are the reason for the sojourn.

The building we arrive at for the event is owned by a renowned British comedy production company (Hat Trick): makers of some iconoclastic comedies and irreverent panel shows.

We meet the owner of the company founded by the main company and he gushes how wonderful we were in the "rushes".

He said how much his wife liked Hum's robust critique of the "entertainment" on SDII and that from that moment onwards she believed everything Hum said. He is her best critic he adds. So one fan at least and the bosses "trouble and strife" too !

Praise indeed but what the heck did Hum say !

It's bound to be bad.....it always is !

Well they put on a nice "spread" for us and offer us champagne which we guzzle down before the publicity shots with Hum looking "dapper" and Blondie looking "sizzling".

Blondie is amazing....everybody gushes over her.

With Hum though, the crew have many hushed conversations, where they shake their heads and get into huddle after huddle looking perplexed.

"It was like taking photos of a sack of potatoes but without the glamour", one was heard to say.

Hum didn't approve of them talking about Blondie in that manner but let it go....

The photographer looked about 14 years of age.

Malnourished and dressed in items the "jumble sale" (Americans would call it "yard sale") couldn't give away ! He photographed away telling Hum to stand this way and that way, hands in pockets, hands on hips (in a quite effeminate manner.....somehow Hum pulled it off. Hum puts it down to the louche company he keeps on occasion) looking into camera, looking yonder.....

The assistant seemed somewhat older, say 16.

If the photographer was malnourished, this guy was emaciated !

He sported a cap (no we were indoors) and a moustache which Hum's father would describe as "if you put some cream on it, I'll get the cat to lick it off".

And these "herberts" were telling Hum how to look !

Well they were polite enough and grateful.

Two of the best in the business the producer told us.

"What the rag and bone business" Hum replied. ("Rag and bone" is a cockney term for a scrap man).

We are taken to our hotel (Mandarin Oriental off Hyde Park) which is "old school".

Hum's style.

It's here later today we meet our travel company for drinks in the bar before dining with the Owner and head honchos of the travel company and others involved in the programmes (travel agents clients on various holidays around the world).

It is there way of thanking us for our contribution: the "stooges".

We are dining at Heston Blumenthal's restaurant.

He is a bit of a "big wig" in foodie circles though probably mainly in the UK. The Fat Duck fame ? No ? Never mind.

Cant ruddy wait !

Hum's only concern is the rate of imbibing.

Hum usually likes a fairly fast pace in the beginning............middle and err ..... well end too.

Hum worries that the hosts are not real drinkers and some goddam awful Chilean plonk is "wheeled out": one bottle and 7 people !

But Blondie assures Hum these girls can drink....that's how all this documentary started.

Well we'll be at the bar first.

Maybe Hum will arrive 20 minutes earlier for some pre-libations.

A few double G&Ts first.

We arrive at the bar and the two ladies from our travel agency greet us.

A M&C 2006 champagne soon comes over and is delicious.

Then two fellow "stooges" arrive and then the lady owner of the business.

Much merriment ensues.

We discuss the filming.

What we liked, what we did'nt.

How would we come across ?

Ghastly people, obnoxious, in-sufferable snobs........

Well if that's all then it wont be so bad then, Hum remarks.

It's at times like these Hum is expected to say something up-lifting and re-assuring but the great "un-washed" out there in TV land will think precisely that !

Our friends will enjoy seeing us behaving like "pratts" and will no doubt remind us of our follies for years and years to come.

The TV release date is to be announced very soon and they have obtained a prized time slot !

The producer says it has to go out after the "watershed" (not suitable for young children any earlier) now because of Hum's liberal use of Anglo Saxon phrasing !

Tis true, Hum adopts the vernacular for occasional emphasis and never at a person (well hardly ever..........hardly ever sick at sea, and give three cheers and three cheers more for the Captain of the Pinaforrrrrrrrrrrr).

And no of course Hum wont tell you when it is to be broadcast.

Why ?

Because Hum's identity will be blown !

You would all be going ..... that inflated pig's bladder is Ho Hum ! Hahaha

Hum couldn't bear the humiliation ....... and he has been used to a lot !

Hum will report how it went and of course how amazing Hum and Blondie were.

You can trust Hum right ?

And look on the bright side.

If it is a disaster then viewers and potential passengers would be so appalled that they would never go on SD in case of meeting Hum, meaning prices could fall.

But.......if we are a sensation, then so long, nice knowing you.........

Wow - the restaurant must have very good deep-freezers; hopefully "good old hum" checked the best-before date in advance? :D

Hum worries that the hosts are not real drinkers and some goddam awful Chilean plonk is "wheeled out": one bottle and 7 people !

But Blondie assures Hum these girls can drink....that's how all this documentary started.

Well we'll be at the bar first.

Maybe Hum will arrive 20 minutes earlier for some pre-libations.

That's the difference between "old hum" and "young gcmv"! :D

Edited by gcmv

Might be time to unveil some heretofore never released photos of Hum in

a verrry effeminate vein.

Believe me these will rock the very foundations of his alleged manliness

and provide fodder for one or more of Murdoch's rags.

The "hush" payments have been late in arriving. You might wish to check

with your accounting folks to assure a "quick fix".

All that aside, can't wait for a copy of the final print ... touch ups and all.

Yes but is the food at this hot dog stand of yours as good as the ribs at Big Nose Kate's Saloon in Tombstone? And be sure to have them include the shot of me spanking Blondie on the bum with my pool towel in the final cut. Ta-ta for now.:D

Gadday, mate! Heston opened up a temporary restaurant here in Melbourne Hum, just for a taster, for three months. Impossible to get in, it's who you know....you know..... To be able to go to his London restaurant would be quite the experience, lucky you! What did the English eat exactly 1500 years ago. I know they drank wine!

Millie

Millie darling, Hum has a little gift for you.

Please bear with Hum for a little while.

You Aussies are great foodies and very innovative, no wonder Heston came to Melborne.

Hum loved the wine tastings in Oz too.

Quite different to the admittedly rather pompous and "stiff" do's in GB.

Hum loved the no nonsense approach amongst guys and gals with great palates.

Very refreshing attitude Hum must say.

Wow - the restaurant must have very good deep-freezers; hopefully "good old hum" checked the best-before date in advance? :D

That's the difference between "old hum" and "young gcmv"! :D

Ahhhh .... GCMV Sie sind in der großen Form heute Sir: Hum grüßt euch!

Als Zeichen der Anerkennung des Hum, Hum wird nie wieder auf VW-Emissionen beziehen!

Aber wenn es um Ihre "Emissionen" (Beiträge) kommt, behält sich das Recht vor Hum für eine robuste Widerlegung!

Hum hatte eine kurze Rippe Stück Rindfleisch bei Heston.

Es war einfach herrlich!

Aber Hum erinnert Sie an einen baskischen Schnitt von Rindfleisch beziehen, die Hum noch nie gehört hatte.

Unsere deutschen Brüder (und schöne Schwestern) sind in der Tat Experten Europas, wenn es um Rindfleisch kommt (aber nicht Würste), aber Hum tut dies wünschen Ihnen neben ihm beim Abendessen saßen Ihre anspruchsvollen Gaumen und lustige Witze zu teilen.

Wir tranken ein einfaches Medoc.

Hum liebte diesen bescheidenen erdigen Begleitung.

Hum speiste mit vier schönen jungen Damen in dieser Nacht.

Sie waren mindestens 30 Jahre jünger als alt Hum (mit einer Ausnahme) und sie waren "hell" zu und so bewusst.

Heck die Damen sind insgesamt mehr weiterentwickelt und toleranter als uns "Jäger und Sammler"

Sie waren freundlich zu zu alt Hum und damit Hum verehrt sie mehr so ​​und war enorm dankbar für ihre Güte, Mitgefühl und Vergebung dieser alten Narren.

Ahhhh ....GCMV you are in great form today sir: Hum salutes you !

As a token of Hum's appreciation, Hum will never refer to VW emissions ever again !

But when it comes to your "emissions" (posts), Hum reserves the right for a robust rebuttal !

Hum had a short rib piece of beef at Heston's.

It was sublime !

But Hum recalls you refer to a Basque cut of beef which Hum had never heard of.

Our German brothers (and lovely sisters) are indeed Europe's experts when it comes to beef (but not sausages) but Hum does so wish you were sitting beside him at the dinner to share your sophisticated palate and funny jokes.

We drank a plain Medoc.

Hum loved this humble earthy accompaniment.

Hum dined with four beautiful young ladies that night.

They were at least 30 years younger than old Hum (with one exception) and they were "bright" too and so aware.

Heck the ladies are altogether more evolved and tolerant than us "hunter gatherers"

They were gracious too towards old Hum and consequently Hum adored them more so and was enormously grateful for their kindness, compassion and forgiveness of this old fool.

Will do Millie.

Gadday cobber.

HH

Pah! Modern English food is bad enough, but pease porridge, boiled beef, and other such "Olde English" fare can't compete with a Cuz's fried fish sandwich (with his special cheese, and pepper sauce) and a couple of good rum drinks at the Mount Gay bar. And don't be making any insensitive slurs about the name.

But I suppose since Barbados was under the thumb of the Empire for so many years that maybe, just maybe, you can classify Cuz's divine culinary creation as "English fare" :p

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Yes but is the food at this hot dog stand of yours as good as the ribs at Big Nose Kate's Saloon in Tombstone? And be sure to have them include the shot of me spanking Blondie on the bum with my pool towel in the final cut. Ta-ta for now.:D

Pah! Modern English food is bad enough, but pease porridge, boiled beef, and other such "Olde English" fare can't compete with a Cuz's fried fish sandwich (with his special cheese, and pepper sauce) and a couple of good rum drinks at the Mount Gay bar. And don't be making any insensitive slurs about the name.

But I suppose since Barbados was under the thumb of the Empire for so many years that maybe, just maybe, you can classify Cuz's divine culinary creation as "English fare" :p

Phillistines the pair of ya !

No Raggy, the British were a civilising influence around the world and still are (especially after witnessing the current circus in some parts of the world).

Please, "Cuz's fish sandwiches" are the Bajan's own abomination please don't even remotely link that to the British however the Brits were responsible for the sandwich (Earl of Sandwich) but what people decide to put into it is down to them.

And this sandwich appears to be created for those with un-sophisticated palates who have become accustomed to "fast food" slop.

Have you actually seen the pink slime that goes into many of today's burgers ?

Fried fish in bread smothered in hot pepper sauce: the delicacy of the fish would be completely obliterated.

Hum has never seen hot pepper sauce served on fish in European fine dining establishments......and for a very good reason.

A Brit (well Scotsman) did make a few dollars from you Yanks after assessing your basic palates and created a ready meal using tasteless bread and a patty of the left over offal which he fried.

His name ?

McDonald

The demand for this stuff went stratospheric.

OK he added fries to (a Belgian invention actually, not French. But Americans hadn't heard of Belgian and so.......).

And what sort of louche establishments do you frequent to partake of this sandwich with the "special" cheese ?

Good heavens it sounds awful.

Hum thought "Big Nose Kate's Saloon" was bad enough but you outdid Butch on this one !

And what of this "special" cheese ?

You, as an American, accustomed to "Jack cheddar" can hardly have an informed opinion.

Orange, thin melted rubber utterly devoid of taste.

France, a minuscule country compared to the US, has hundreds of various cheeses of all kinds (cow, goat, sheep).

America has this industrially manufactured trimmed square designed to be melted imparting no taste whatsoever.

And all of this from the man, who whilst in Sarlat, a gourmet centre in France, nay the World, went to a "hole in the wall" burger establishment !

Mon Dieu !!

If Hum mistakenly ate that concoction, his finely attuned body system would no doubt be looking for a "hole in the floor" establishment pretty soon afterwards !

Hum's body is a temple (a pretty large temple too).

Please Raggy keep to matters you know best:

- tanks

- French roundabouts

- light

Err....... that's it.

Hum is still trying to rid himself of the image of you sweating away in your cabin in only your "knicky-knacky-noos" !

Ewwww....

And no Butch, the picture of you spanking Hum's beloved will not be shown.

It is on the BBC, you know not "Jerry Springer".

BBC2 actually !

The "posh" channel.

You dont have it in the States ?

Not at all surprised, dear chap.

Not at all surprised.

You kinda understand now why Heston Blumenthal chose Melbourne for his pop up restaurant rather than Arizona or even Southern California.

Here's an idea boys.

Why dont you set up your own fast food shack.

"Butch & Sundance's Fried Fish Bar"

Toilet round back !

Sorry Washroom........