Weather in May Amsterdam -Budapest

agelessgram

G'evening fellow travelers, I have been reading on line what the average temperatures for this AMA cruise may be but depending on what site you read they are all different. We were thinking lots of layers and rain gear but will we need hats, gloves, scarfs? I have hiking water proof boots and cozy socks. We were not planning on bringing "formal" wear.

As always your help, suggestions and thoughts are most appreciated.

Sue N.J.

Normally, you really do not need gloves and hats in May. Weather should be reasonable all the way.

That said: last year was a freak year with very cold temperatures and lots of rain, and this year spring has come very very early with extremely warm temperatures and no snow or rain all winter.

When in May are you going??

Last year we did Bucharest to Budapest in late April.... Temperatures above 30C the entire trip. It only rained the last day - in Budapest - but a warm rain.

Fran

We are going May 5th through May 20th. Without a washer on board trying to pack smart. Not bringing any "dress up clothes" will dress up outfits with a scarf or jewlery. Thanks as always for your helpful input. Sue NJ

Thanks for the weather information. Since you lived near Passau what do you think about going to Salzburg on that port??? We have gotten many varied answers. Thanks again Sue

Passau is a really nice baroque city, similar to Salzburg. You can spend a nice day there. Don't miss the organ concert on the largest church organ in Europe. Check out the sights on the Passau webpage. Salzburg is going to be a fairly long drive: 2 hours there and 2 hours back. It is up to you if you want to spend the time. I would maybe only go if there is something really specific you would like to see there.

Thanks for the weather information. Since you lived near Passau what do you think about going to Salzburg on that port??? We have gotten many varied answers. Thanks again Sue

Salzburg is a beautiful beautiful city but quite a ways from Passau, which is also a beautiful beautiful city. The Church in Passau is one of the most exquisite I've ever seen and the organ concert is amazing and not to be missed unless you hate organ music! It literally made my bones vibrate.....and the shoppng and scenery is lovely too.

Check out weather.com for averages. Can be very changeable. We did Basel-Amsterdam last May and had to use blankets on top deck some days, and other days we sat in T-shirts. Be prepared to layer. You don't have to dress up at night but you'll want a jacket or something to go over your back just in case. Especially if you're from FL like us! We also had to contend with a lot of rain. Luck of the draw.

April/May is white asparagus season for Europe so if you like 'em, eat your fill as they're yummy!

• 2 weeks later...
We are going May 5th through May 20th. Without a washer on board trying to pack smart. Not bringing any "dress up clothes" will dress up outfits with a scarf or jewlery. Thanks as always for your helpful input. Sue NJ

You will be just fine. No "dress up clothes" are needed. People are more "come as you are" country club casual. Basic black pants go a long way with different tops - your accessories will give you a sophisticated look that never goes out of style! I travel extremely light with one carry on bag and a small backpack. I can get away for 3 weeks mixing and matching everything with those famous Chico's black travelers pants.

Marion

Due to the warm weather the first German asparagus will be available in a few shops soon, so if you are in the Rhine valley at the end of March you might be able to see it on restaurants menues already.

notamermaid

We have been in Germany and Austria about 15 times during May. Spargel for me is one of the main reasons. I have it every day.:D

Unfortunately most Americans don't know or appreciate it and only eat the green variety which is really a different vegetable.;)

When we were biking through the Loire Valley in France in 2009 in May, almost every restaurant had white asparagus. I had it countless times.

We're traveling Prague to Budapest in May; I'm hoping the weather isn't too cool. I've been checking weather.com lately and it seems that they are having mid-to-high 30's @ night and mid-to-high 50's, low 60's during the day. So, I'm thinking with about a month to go, it will warm up some. After our biking trip, we cruised Brugge to Amsterdam and the weather was perfect. It only rained our last day there when we went to The Keukenhof. unfortunately.

When we were biking through the Loire Valley in France in 2009 in May, almost every restaurant had white asparagus. I had it countless times.

We're traveling Prague to Budapest in May; I'm hoping the weather isn't too cool. I've been checking weather.com lately and it seems that they are having mid-to-high 30's @ night and mid-to-high 50's, low 60's during the day. So, I'm thinking with about a month to go, it will warm up some. After our biking trip, we cruised Brugge to Amsterdam and the weather was perfect. It only rained our last day there when we went to The Keukenhof. unfortunately.

I'm also traveling Prague to Budapest late May. The predicted weather does seem very cool and I'm fighting my tendency to overpack. Aside from a lot of information about rain and floods in May-June 2013, I haven't found much personal commentary about the weather experienced by past cruisers. Have you? Unlike your experience, my week in Amsterdam in May a few years ago was very cold and rainy. I've got my fingers crossed for sunshine and mild springtime weather!

Thanks to your tip, I did see the Preisman's photos you recommended and I also found some great photos taken in October a few years ago by a passenger on my same Viking Romantic Danube cruise. They are posted on aol travel: Danube River Cruise Through Germany, Austria and Hungary (PHOTOS).

Sent from my iPad using Forums