Spain in late October

JVNYC

How is the weather?

I'm looking at a Marina itinerary in 2015 - Princes and Palaces - October 24 - November 3. Ports included are Mallorca, Valencia, Malaga, Cartagena, Tangier, Seville, Lisbon & others.

Has anyone cruised in this area so late in the season? I know Spain remains warmer than most of the Med but is this too risky for bad weather? This is the only Spain intensive itinerary for 2015.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!

How is the weather?

I'm looking at a Marina itinerary in 2015 - Princes and Palaces - October 24 - November 3. Ports included are Mallorca, Valencia, Malaga, Cartagena, Tangier, Seville, Lisbon & others.

Has anyone cruised in this area so late in the season? I know Spain remains warmer than most of the Med but is this too risky for bad weather? This is the only Spain intensive itinerary for 2015.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!

map-lg-MNA151024.jpgThis is quite a good itinerary. Very few tender ports (which can be a concern that late in the season in the Med) and your Northernmost port is Marseilles, which will still be temperate. Although it will be cooler in late October than in Summer, that might be a blessing if you are planning on touring in Spain. Barcelona is also a wonderful city to depart from, particularly if you have time to spend a few pre-cruise days.

map-lg-MNA151103A.jpg

Oceania has planned the Marina's 2015 schedule very wisely, after your Cruise disembarks in Lisbon, they are smart enough to send the ship South, avoiding the treachery of the Bay of Biscay in November.

How is the weather?

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you![/quote

We've done Spain in the fall and winter and have always had mild temperatures

and very little rain. That cruise has great ports for any time of the year.

map-lg-MNA151103A.jpg

Oceania has planned the Marina's 2015 schedule very wisely, after your Cruise disembarks in Lisbon, they are smart enough to send the ship South, avoiding the treachery of the Bay of Biscay in November.[/size]

On our cruise from Lisbon to Rio in November, it was the segment from Lisbon to Funchal that was rough. Enough such that one couple disembarked and flew home. It was our first TA and indeed I was wondering how I would survive two weeks! The Captain assured us that it would be much calmer after we departed and headed for Cape Verde, and indeed the remainder was like glass. So smooth you wouldn't even know you were on a ship. Ended up being one of my favourite cruises.

We have travelled in Spain and France a few times in November and always had temperate weather. Not necessarily beach weather, but warm. Although that may not be worth much as I am Canadian and we seem to be happy as long as it's above freezing. ;-)

The crowds are not there. We love shoulder season travel.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by potterhill

You should be fine. This past autumn the weather was lovely well into November. You may find it a bit breezy with the occasional shower. It is a great itinerary and Jim and Stan are spot on with their comments. All ports of call on this itinerary are great places to visit and Lisbon is also a wonderful city to end your stay! if you have not visited this area before, go for it I am sure you will have a great time and if possible do try to fit in pre and post stays.

Hopefully, nice weather. We did some of this area in November 2008:

Itinerary%2520Map.jpg

Looking back at our pictures from this trip, there were a few shorts and short-sleeved shirt days, but comparatively more jeans and long sleeved shirt days. Mixture of clear sunny days, with others overcast. We tended to layer; mornings were cooler and when I looked at our pictures, we usually were wearing light jackets, which disappeared into the backpack by afternoon.

One month earlier should be a touch warmer - enjoy these nice ports, and spend some time enjoying Lisbon as everyone recommends! We spent an extra day but could have easily spent a few more. November was definitely nicer weather in the South of Spain than on a return visit in March.

map-lg-MNA151103A.jpg

Oceania has planned the Marina's 2015 schedule very wisely, after your Cruise disembarks in Lisbon, they are smart enough to send the ship South, avoiding the treachery of the Bay of Biscay in November.[/size]

On our cruise from Lisbon to Rio in November, it was the segment from Lisbon to Funchal that was rough. Enough such that one couple disembarked and flew home. It was our first TA and indeed I was wondering how I would survive two weeks! The Captain assured us that it would be much calmer after we departed and headed for Cape Verde, and indeed the remainder was like glass. So smooth you wouldn't even know you were on a ship. Ended up being one of my favourite cruises.

We have travelled in Spain and France a few times in November and always had temperate weather. Not necessarily beach weather, but warm. Although that may not be worth much as I am Canadian and we seem to be happy as long as it's above freezing. ;-)

The crowds are not there. We love shoulder season travel.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had a great cruise weather wise and otherwise covering many of those ports on Crystal a few years ago. It was even later, early November, and other than needing a jacket in early mornings and as we walked through some unheated palaces and churches, the weather was perfect. To your point, Mo, our cruise also covered the Canary Islands and Funchal. Overnight trip from Funchal to Lisbon was one of the roughest nights on a cruise ship I have experienced in my 25 cruises.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your comments. I am now booked and I am really thrilled with this itinerary having never been to Spain. So much to see!

I wonder if Oceania will do anything for Halloween? I know it's more of a US thing...I've never been on a cruise during that time of year so should be interesting. =)

• 1 month later...

Good day all. I was looking around at some weather sites for all the ports listed on the Princes and Palaces itinerary and it has me worried that October/November are listed as pretty rainy.

A few have stated here that weather should be cooler and nice. Was wondering if anyone else has sailed around southern Spain this late in the season? I know weather is one of those things you can't predict....it's just such a good itinerary!

Thank you all for your time!