Sunscreen for bald heads.

runner2013

Runner - my hubs is a cue ball - we swear by Blue Lizard - it's Australian sunscreen and I have to buy it on amazon. It's pricey, but since using it, he hasn't burned his head. Plus it doesn't make him get overly sweaty. I first started using it for my daughter who has eczema, but he used it and it worked so much better than the others (not sure why, it just did!)

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Lizard-Australian-Sunscreen-Sensitive/dp/B000EY4YLS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394300650&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+lizard+sunscreen

@everyone giving relationship and life advice

Wow some of you people are harsh.

Someone asks for advice on a good sunscreen for her boyfriend and you give her a hard time on whether she should be doing it or not.

@runner2013

I have a balding head, rest I keep in a crew-cut, I use

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Lotion SPF30+

it is a very light spray so does not feel greasy on my head, I use it on my face as well.

All the best

Sorry but when she stated she would like him to leave his hat off, she opened up the thread to just about everything. I have had major surgery on my head to remove a melanoma and have had other procedures to take care of various nasty items on the head. It is best for him to wear his hat and use sunscreen as much as possible. People just don't understand that any sunburn or tan is absolutely no good for your body no matter how good it looks.

Edited by dkjretired

Sorry but when she stated she would like him to leave his hat off, she opened up the thread to just about everything.

That's not a good excuses for being rude. Seems folks have lost the art of participating in friendly discussions.

I'm also a melanoma survivor and have nasty scars to prove it, but there are many techniques for being safe in the sun including sunscreens. You didn't get cancer from using sunscreen, you got it from the lack of it.

Ignoring the main question and changing the subject is rude enough, but a poster should at least have the manners to present their opinion in a friendly tone. That way they don't discourage other thoughts and ideas like new products that can be applied on hair to protect the scalp. I am a diver and I have been wanting something like that for years. I may have just found it in this discussion.

Burt

That's not a good excuses for being rude. Seems folks have lost the art of participating in friendly discussions.

I'm also a melanoma survivor and have nasty scars to prove it, but there are many techniques for being safe in the sun including sunscreens. You didn't get cancer from using sunscreen, you got it from the lack of it.

Ignoring the main question and changing the subject is rude enough, but a poster should at least have the manners to present their opinion in a friendly tone. That way they don't discourage other thoughts and ideas like new products that can be applied on hair to protect the scalp. I am a diver and I have been wanting something like that for years. I may have just found it in this discussion.

Burt

There hasn't been anything rude on this thread.

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange question(or at least I think others might think it is). My boyfriend and I are cruising the end of March to the Caribbean from Florida, he is bald and always worries about burning his head. He does wear baseball caps with suncreen for protection but I'd like to see him occasionally leave the cap behind (or at least under the chair)if we are by the pool relaxing. Aside from the mass market sunscreens you can get at any CVS or drugstore has anyone found something made specifically for shaved heads he can use(obviously applying several times throughout the day) and not have that feeling every minute he is exposed he is burning up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Runner,

I read your question along with the responses you received. If it were me, I would see what a Dermatologist has to say rather than listen to advice from people on a forum who are not qualified to answer your question.:)

Triathlete Magazine did a spread on the best sunscreens for extended protection. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Broad Spectrum SPF 100+ was rated one of the best. I've used it in 5 & 6 hour events with no burn. I'll use it on vacation if I won't have a chance to reapply and will be in the water.

Hats and sunscreen aren't just for bald guys. Women should wear hats and sunscreen as well. The sun in Florida and the Caribbean is intense! One of the worst burns I ever got was at an outdoor festival where the part line in my hair burned and peeled. Talk about painful!!! I had slathered sunscreen all over my body, but never even thought about my part line.

I pack a variety of hats for a trip including cute bucket hats and baseball caps. Not only do they provide sunburn protection they also shield my eyes when trying to read by the pool. The worst is that bit of sun that seems to beam down between my sunglasses and my head when trying to read.

something I'm an expert on..

this No-Ad Sunblock works as good as any of the brand name brands. I use the kids as it's suppose to last longer when sweating.. No matter what sun block he uses he needs to reapply it at much shorter intervals then recommended. During the mid-day sun let him have his hat.

611X56G%2B3QL._SL1500_.jpg

or you could get him something like this.. :-)

51XJYCUSr%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Love the hat!!! His friend who is also bald actually has one. Maybe he should borrow it

Love the hat!!! His friend who is also bald actually has one. Maybe he should borrow it

Those hats are interesting. A guy on our recent Century cruise wore one everywhere. Stopped being so cute when he showed up with it on formal night. :rolleyes:

Wow

I didn't mean to set off fireworks when I asked my question :( I was just thinking he might like to take his hat off now and again since he pretty much always wears one every day. (even to bed on cold nights:)

After reading everyone's responses it has helped me to realize he would obviously be better if he just kept a hat on, but I've also found some sunscreen he says he likes so we will play it by ear. Honestly, my guess is he'll be in directly sunlight as little as possible, probably staying in the shade if he can.

Any negativity here, I'm letting it go. All I want now is a quiet 2 weeks and then away we go !!!!

Thank you all again for your suggestions and advice. Here's hoping we all have smooth sailing in the future :p

Any sunscreen will work fine. If he's worried about the sunscreen running into his eyes and burning them, then make sure the activie ingredients consist only of zinc oxide or titanium oxide. These natural minerals protect, but don't burn the eyes. The other chemical-based sunscreens work well too, but can really burn the eyes.

Also, look for sunscreen without any ingredient with the word retinol or any similar sounding variation. This is a synthetic form of Vitamin A, which becomes carcinogenic when exposed to ultraviolet light. Ironic, but true...most sunscreens have carcinogens in them, even though they are supposed to prevent cancer.

Many infant sunscreens work well, such as California Baby or Neutrogena baby.

I got a nice 'dry spray' for my hubbie's bald pate. It is non-greasy, non-slip, doesn't melt and run into his eyes, doesn't feel greasy, rub off on a hat etc. It is called 'Solarsport' in the UK. I keep a spare in my bag for when he forgets his, it's useful for my ears, parting etc too.