I'm Very Surprised to Have Just Read this About the New Menu Rollout......

Phlybice

Not surprised (but happy). The beard's "new and exciting" was many people's "downgraded".

(Personally the tableclothes weren't a potential issue for me, but the significantly limited choices compared to the old menues might have been).

At the moment there are no plans to bring the new and exciting menus to other ships ~ John Heald

Which goes to show even a cruise line can see a disaster in the making. Tweaking the menu with an evening special is all the food excitement I need in the MDR on Carnival to keep me satiated. That, and hot foods served HOT!

At the moment there are no plans to bring the new and exciting menus to other ships ~ John Heald

I'm actually happy to see this. I do not like the idea of "table" food. & the menus that I saw left me thinking that I would spend a week eating a baked potato & steamed vegetables. It just wasn't appetizing to me. (& I have some allergies & have made choices about food types that I don't partake of.)

Glad to hear it. In looking at the new menu, we probably would have been eating on the lido deck most nights.

I think the idea of a nightly "special" is a good one, though. Many of my favorite meals in local restaurants have been a one night special.

Wait, what? Sorry, I have been away from cruising and off the boards for a couple years.

They removed the tablecloths? I saw the new menu and it seemed very similar to the current (2years ago) menu, just kind of difficult to read.

The tablecloth (while not important) does add a touch of elegance. This being said, I've been to some pretty expensive restaurants lately that don't use them anymore.

Wait, what? Sorry, I have been away from cruising and off the boards for a couple years.

They removed the tablecloths? I saw the new menu and it seemed very similar to the current (2years ago) menu, just kind of difficult to read.

The tablecloth (while not important) does add a touch of elegance. This being said, I've been to some pretty expensive restaurants lately that don't use them anymore.

One ship (Liberty I think?) still has them because of the condition of the tables they have. The others don't unless its elegant night.

I honestly don't remember former menus so I can't compare the actual food available then and now, but from what I have read here they made some changes like few soups (no cold soups which upset some people) and few appetizer options. They have a port of call section that offers a local popular dish for an app and main plus a drink suggestion.

And they have "for the table" options. Like the pie option for dessert is "for the table" so its a whole pie. They also got rid of a few popular desserts although I enjoyed almost all of the ones we tried.

My biggest pet peeve with the new menu is some food came as a meal, while others didn't. It was hard to know when to order a side. One night my husband ordered a steak that came with just mushrooms. The lady at the table next to us had the same and she was not happy about it. Another night I ended up with a potato and veggies for a side when my meal came with rice and green beans.

Edited by 1kaper

Which goes to show even a cruise line can see a disaster in the making. Tweaking the menu with an evening special is all the food excitement I need in the MDR on Carnival to keep me satiated. That, and hot foods served HOT!

This. That's one reason I like Mongolian Wok. The cooked to order food is always piping hot. Yum.

What a great idea to add a daily special!

if you are gonna quote somebody use the whole quote

John Heald We have made a few tweaks and I will collect the new menus and post them shortly. At the moment there are no plans to bring the new and exciting menus to other ships. As and when we have a new roll out schedule I will let you know. Cheers

sounds like they are gonna make some tweaks and try this again..

Edited by vols_159

Does anyone know if the new menu has the healthier food choices indicated with a heart? I tried to stick with those foods 3 years ago when we sailed on the Glory, and I didn't gain weight! (I also worked out in the gym and used the stairs!).

The old menu had the foods marked with a heart icon and then the bottom of the menu said that the heart "denotes healthy options which are lower in fat, cholesterol and sodium." (I found one of the older menus online).

We will be on the Glory in a couple of weeks, and it is one of the ships with the new menu.

if you are gonna quote somebody use the whole quote

John Heald We have made a few tweaks and I will collect the new menus and post them shortly. At the moment there are no plans to bring the new and exciting menus to other ships. As and when we have a new roll out schedule I will let you know. Cheers

sounds like they are gonna make some tweaks and try this again..

Thanks for the correction, I am sure that it was an honest mistake.:confused:;)

This was funny on my behind the scenes tour. People were grilling the head Sous Chef as to why he did not serve this or that on the boat and he just kept telling them that the menu is set at the corporate office for all boats, he has no control over it and if you want something new, write them.

Why are these menus such a big deal to some people? As long as they bring me food that I don't have to cook or clean up it doesn't matter.

At the moment there are no plans to bring the

new and exciting menus to other ships ~ John Heald

LOL, do you really have to ask that? How many pictures of entrees do you see posted in these reviews. Many people are sailing for the food whether they admit it or not.

I simply expect the variety and quality of a nice restaurant served in the MDR. As long as that is maintained, I am ok. I would like to see a more upscale evening dine, but lets face it, we are sailing Carnival for the price.

I agree with this...

I simply expect the variety and quality of a nice restaurant served in the MDR. As long as that is maintained, I am ok. I would like to see a more upscale evening dine, but lets face it, we are sailing Carnival for the price.

Well I hope they tweak the B & B back as well as Creme brûlée and Grand Mariner soufflé.

I did notice on the latest review of Liberty that there were some minor changes from menus originally posted. Hope they keep tweaking and in time for my May Liberty cruise!!!!