How Would You Insure This?

Nightowl11

We are booked on a cruise in June and originally reserved a suite for myself and my son, age 13 and then have the balcony room next to us reserved for my sister and my daughter, age 16. The suite only holds 3 people, therefore had to have 2 rooms since there are 4 of us. But then we were advised by many here on cruise critic to switch the reservations so that it would be myself and my sister in the suite and my two teens in the balcony so that my sister could participate in the suite amenities such as the thermal spa and suite breakfasts and suite lounges that my son would not be eligible for or even want to go to.

Now my sister will still be paying the balcony rate even though her paperwork will show the suite rate and I will still pay the suite rate for my son even though his rate will show the balcony rate.

I already purchased insurance for myself, my daughter and my son at the suite price before we switched names. I did not have to pay anything extra since the kids were free anyways so it did not affect my premium.

So here is the dilemma: How can my sister insure her trip without having to overpay the insurance company for what is posted on the reservations? Because she doesn't live with me, she can't be added to mine. And most insurance companies require you to cover all unreimbursed expenses. Her cost for the balcony is half the cost of the suite. But if she needed to make a claim, the paperwork would not match the actual scenario.

Thank you for any insight on this situation.

I would doubt that the price difference between the suite and the balcony would have that much affect on the overall price of insurance.

If there was any price difference it would be minimal. What? $20 maybe.

Is the additional $20 the worse case scenerio?

Or would it be the denial of a potential claim because what was paid and covered doesn't match the invoices (in writing) provided?

I would use the price on the invoice when setting up my travel insurance.

Edited by klfrodo

Are you sure that you can't put your sister on your travel insurance? I had someone from insuremytrip.com tell me that I could put my daughter on my insurance, even though she lives in a different town, as long as she lived in the same state. I was told to enter the trip and other costs as a total cost per trip, not per person.

It might be worth a call to your insurance company.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ask the insurance company and ask for their response by e-mail so you have it in writing. If you do not purchase the insurance per their specifications, you could have trouble with a potential claim. Why mess around? Find out from the only source that really matters........ the insurer.

Please let us know what they say if you ask them.