No point booking early

I fully agree with you nomad098.

Essexlass2, I'm not sure if travel agents are allowed to be mentioned.

they do say the CC that we are not allowed to advertise for anything like that. if you wish to have the information you can give your email and have the other person contact that way.

I now book as late as possible, except for European cruises which require thought out airfare and pre/post cruise arrangements. I am flexible, sail several times a year so if I “miss out” on a particular cruise (maybe I watched it and the price never fell – or went too high) it is no big deal to me. We’ve had all those “desired” cabins throughout the years (corner aft, center hump etc.) so most any cabin is now fine. We are only particular about the general category ( balcony, suite, OV) but don’t care if we book a E1 vs. D1. etc. so the cabin selection is not a deal breaker. We don’t live in Florida, but have a reasonable drive ( 8 hours) to a few mid Florida ports.

Last minute booking will work if one is flexible not only with the actual cruise but also regarding cabin accommodations, and maybe even dinner seating .

Enjoy

M

I am from the UK and I also believed that the reason UK customers did not get refundable deposits, free cabin changes and price drops was due to government legislation

Until I got talking to a friend in the travel industry recently they told me there is no legal or financial reason that we could not have the same system that US/Canadian consumers have

The protection you are talking about is "The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992" nowhere in this document does it state that deposits should be non refundable.

I am told they would have to pay a bond(fully refundable) or insurance to do business in the UK and I would imagine a company like RCI would have insurance in the US to cover them there if something went wrong

It has been a cultural affection in Europe for travel agents and holiday companies to write in the contract that deposits are non refundable, to charge for cabin changes, admin charges and refusal of price drops, this has nothing to do with consumer law but a way for the companies to ensure a revenue stream, it is not in the companies interest to change this.

RCI's policies where set up in line with other travel providers policies, they did not have to do this they chose to do this as I would imagine this is more profitable from such a small market

The consumer law that protects us also allows companies to put these restrictions in the contracts and it's our choice whether we accept these or not.

More and more now in the UK you can book travel arrangements hotels and airport parking where if you cancel before a certain date you receive a full refund of any monies paid

Whilst consumers in the UK keep booking cruises or land holidays in the UK where these restrictions are in place nothing will change.

If everyone in the UK stopped booking holidays today and said they would not book again until we got the same as the US/Canadian consumers we would have them by the end of the week :eek::eek:(never going to happen)

Damon

Absolutely 100% agree with your statement.

Could not have said it better myself!

To be honest I'm sick of hearing about our 'consumer protection laws'.

It doesn't 'always' pay to book through a US agent but it is well worth checking just in case.

Edited by icsys

Absolutely 100% agree with your statement.

Could not have said it better myself!

To be honest I'm sick of hearing about our 'consumer protection laws'.

It doesn't 'always' pay to book through a US agent but it is well worth checking just in case.

it should be the same everywhere.

I always book directly thru rccl. Stopped using a TA years ago. I watch my price and if it drops or I see a better category for same$$ they have always helped me make changes. I find sometimes the earlier I book the better. Like my june1 st sailing I'm way lower than posted price now. Ship looks pretty book so price isn't dropping. I guess it's hit and miss

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always book directly thru rccl. Stopped using a TA years ago. I watch my price and if it drops or I see a better category for same$$ they have always helped me make changes. I find sometimes the earlier I book the better. Like my june1 st sailing I'm way lower than posted price now. Ship looks pretty book so price isn't dropping. I guess it's hit and miss

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we do the same now and always use RCCL.

I called a few days ago when I saw how much the price has dropped on my cruise in a few weeks. I can change from a Central park balcony to a Ocean balcony for the same price. However I lose my $300.00 onboard credit (For 2 cabins.). Not worth it to me.

You'd be rolling the dice if you wait. Because of a family illness, we had to cancel our March sailing on Celebrity at final payment to avoid penalty. My mom was scheduled for surgery and we didn't want to be on a cruise when that happened. Turns out, the surgery is being pushed out at least another month. We just checked the price of our cruise and it's gone up $400 total and the flights have doubled. Some times you win and sometimes you lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your right, it's definitely a crap shoot.

I called a few days ago when I saw how much the price has dropped on my cruise in a few weeks. I can change from a Central park balcony to a Ocean balcony for the same price. However I lose my $300.00 onboard credit (For 2 cabins.). Not worth it to me.

you are right.

Just had an email from RCI regarding getting $200 OBS if you book now for the cruise I booked months ago. I inquired if we would be included in this as they had sent me the email, but was told it was only for new bookings. Just like rubbing salt in the wounds. :mad:

So cancel and re-book unless you're inside the final payment date. We've done this before.