Biodegradable sunscreen??

crawfrd7

I usually buy sunscreen at Walmart. None of it there actually says biodegrable. What are some names of biodegradable sunscreen or where is a good place to order from? Live in a small town probably not going to find any around here.

Cruise fan

I usually buy sunscreen at Walmart. None of it there actually says biodegrable. What are some names of biodegradable sunscreen or where is a good place to order from? Live in a small town probably not going to find any around here.

Cruise fan

There are some name brands listed in this article:

http://cancer.about.com/od/skincancerprevention/a/biodegradable_sunscreen.htm

Also, Amazon.com has some.

Crawfrd and Shmoo,

Thanks for your posts!:D

I've never heard of this kind of sunscreen before. Thanks Shmoo for the link to the article about it. Trader Joe's carries Kiss My Face products so I'm going to go check and see if they have this product. If they do, I'll use it and report back what I thought of it as far as it being comfortable to wear or not. I've never had my sunscreen confiscated at any of the Mexican ports I've sailed to so this must be something new. I totally understand why they would prefer you to use something biodegradable.

Ron and Mrs.digi

How did you like the product? Was it comfortable on the skin? I hate lotion that is sti****ily or turns white when you come out of the ocean or pool.

I didn't notice any difference from the stuff that we normally use, typically Coppertone, I think, but I'm a guy and probably wouldn't notice it if there was a difference :D

:confused::confused::confused: Sorry if I sound stupid, but what is biodegradable sunscreen?????

Most sunscreens contain chemicals (PABA or others) that can harm the environment, particularly coral reefs when snorkeling. Biodegradable and reef-safe sunscreens use natural ingredients that won't do this.

I use Caribbean Solutions SPF 25 sunblock. Its active ingredients are zinc oxide and herbal extracts, and it's made in the US. I had to order it online through Amazon, because it's not sold in stores, at least not in Chicago. It works by coating your skin, rather than absorbing into it, but it protects you just the same. The only catch is that it can get rubbed off easily, oftentimes simply by rubbing up against something, like resting on the ocean floor or leaning against a wall. It happened to me.

Mexico has a federal law requiring biodegradable sunblock in its national parks and marine preserves (Chankanaab, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, etc.). I'm not sure about laws in other countries in the Caribbean, so just follow their park policies and/or your conscience.

Ron and Mrs.digi

How did you like the product? Was it comfortable on the skin? I hate lotion that is sti****ily or turns white when you come out of the ocean or pool.

Use it exactly as it says on the bottle and there's less likelihood of it turning white. We used it cozumel a few weeks ago and did not get burned.

We bought ours from the company running the day tour that we took. It worked well and did not turn white. We did have to rub it in when applying. Fairly easy to find in Mexico since so many natural areas require it. We swam in Cenotes and with sea turtles and were glad it was safe for the sealife. Also found on Amazon by searching for biodegradable sunscreen.