SUGGESTIONS NEEDED: Fastest way to get off the boat and to the airport

Please help. We are going during spring break on the ALLURE out of Ft. Lauderdale. Our boat is scheduled to dock at 6am and our flight out is at 10:40am. I thought that was plenty of time to get off the boat and to the airport for the flight, but RCL doesn't think so. I've already contacted Southwest Airline and basically was told either pay almost $1000 to change to a later flight, or pray I make it or be put on standby if I don't.

HOW can we make sure we get off the boat and through customs and to the airport as quickly as possible?

We plan on doing carry off our own luggage (not put it outside the night before) if that is faster, we won't need to stop for declaring alcohol or pick up anything special once off the ship.

If you're carrying your luggage off you should have plenty of time unless something extraordinary occurs. Southwest doesn't charge change fees so why the big difference?

Edited by Big_G

It is fortunate that you are sailing Allure. Not only is she a great ship, but she docks early and people doing express walk off disembarkation start getting off early. If I recall correctly, people report walking off Oasis and Allure as early as 6:15 or 6:30. If you do express walk off (taking your own luggage) you can be one of the first off the ship, one of the first through customs, one of the first in the taxi line. Unless something unusual happens, you should make it to the airport in plenty of time.

I have a 10:45 flight. I'm not worried in the least. We're self disembarking at 7:30...the airport is only about 15 minutes away if that.

Whoops, snap! Southwest is Miami Int. right....well maybe that is a bit of a stretch, but if you'll call up a van service they can tell you if you can make it.

Edited by BecciBoo

Yes you can just walk off the Ship with your bags. I believe it starts around 7:00 am. By time you exit The Ship go through customs catch a cab you be be at FLL by 7:45 - 8:15 with no problem. Keep the flight and don't worry you will not have to hurry and you will be at the airport in plenty of time.

Most ships dock at 6:00 AM but don't start departure process until 7:30-8:00 AM. Self departure is always first but the cruise line has no control over customs. It is possible to get to the airport in time but probably pretty difficult to get there an hour before to get checked in (assuming you are checking bags on the airline) and through security. If your flight is at 10:40 you should check your boarding time. It is spring break so customs should be packed as well as the airport might have long lines for security. Are you flying out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami? Lines should be a lot shorter out of Ft Lauderdale

Edited by rum & monkey

Take a taxi, don't take the cruise bus. The airport is very close to the ship too. I had a similar experience before out of Cape Canaveral and it completely stressed me out, the cruise ship people would give me a look when I told them my flight was at 10:30 and I couldn't do a thing about it. We got there on time though, it just would have been a problem if we were delayed.

Most ships dock at 6:00 AM but don't start departure process until 7:30-8:00 AM. Self departure is always first but the cruise line has no control over customs. It is possible to get to the airport in time but probably pretty difficult to get there an hour before to get checked in (assuming you are checking bags on the airline) and through security. If your flight is at 10:40 you should check your boarding time. It is spring break so customs should be packed as well as the airport might have long lines for security.

I see by your signature that you have never been on the The Allure or The Oasis. Coming off of these two ships is very easy to make early flights. With self departure you can easily be at FLL by 7:30 - 8:00.

I have a 10:45 flight. I'm not worried in the least. We're self disembarking at 7:30...the airport is only about 15 minutes away if that.

Whoops, snap! Southwest is Miami Int. right....well maybe that is a bit of a stretch, but if you'll call up a van service they can tell you if you can make it.

No. Southwest does not serve Miami. If the OP is on Southwest then the OP is flying from FLL.

The lines at FLL last Spring break were very long - just make sure you print your boarding pass off on the ship the day before. It would be even better if you don't check bags on your flight.

Please help. We are going during spring break on the ALLURE out of Ft. Lauderdale. Our boat is scheduled to dock at 6am and our flight out is at 10:40am. I thought that was plenty of time to get off the boat and to the airport for the flight, but RCL doesn't think so. I've already contacted Southwest Airline and basically was told either pay almost $1000 to change to a later flight, or pray I make it or be put on standby if I don't.

HOW can we make sure we get off the boat and through customs and to the airport as quickly as possible?

We plan on doing carry off our own luggage (not put it outside the night before) if that is faster, we won't need to stop for declaring alcohol or pick up anything special once off the ship.

The reason Royal told you that flight was too early is because if you planned to use their Luggage Valet service that flight time is to early for that program. It does not sound as if that was your plan anyway. so, barring any unusual circumstance with the ship, weather, or clearing Customs you should be ok doing Self Assist disembarkation and taking a taxi to the airport.

This past fall I took a transatlantic on the Liberty of the Seas to Ft Lauderdale. My flight was at 10:00 a.m. at FLL. I went down early and got near the front of the walk off line. I was standing at the airline checkin counter at 8:15 a.m.

No worries. We've done the express walk-off, carrying our own luggage with great results 3 times now. We were on the Oasis and Allure and everything went smoothly. All 3 times we had a 10:40 am flight home and made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare. The taxi's are all lined up outside and it's only about a 5 to 10 minute ride to the airport.

Now relax and enjoy your cruise!!!

thank you everyone. I feel much more relaxed and confident now we will make it.

OP here.

We are flying back to Chicago (where it snowed today).

We plan on doing the express and drag the bags yourself. Working on packing today and we might have it down to 2 carry-ons (1 each) and a back pack in case we do not have time to check the bags.

The problem with changing the flight is that it is during spring break (yes, I teach) and I used Rapid Reward points to pay for the original flight. I don't have enough points to cover the increase in cost to a later flight, so it would be a cash ticket at the ridiculous spring break price of $474 each!

So, back to dreaming about the beaches :)

thank you everyone. I feel much more relaxed and confident now we will make it.

OP here.

We are flying back to Chicago (where it snowed today).

We plan on doing the express and drag the bags yourself. Working on packing today and we might have it down to 2 carry-ons (1 each) and a back pack in case we do not have time to check the bags.

The problem with changing the flight is that it is during spring break (yes, I teach) and I used Rapid Reward points to pay for the original flight. I don't have enough points to cover the increase in cost to a later flight, so it would be a cash ticket at the ridiculous spring break price of $474 each!

So, back to dreaming about the beaches :)

We flew to Midway also. A little tip when you get to curb side check-in at FLL ask them if there are any earlier flights you just may get lucky.

We did this with a flight leaving at 10:15 and had plenty of time on Equinox. We, too, were told we didn't have time by Celebrity. In fact, despite NOT wanting to walk off, our disembarkation luggage tags were to do so. Simply traded them at customer service for tags to get off in first group. Collected luggage with a porter (they seem to breeze us thru customs). took taxi...tons waiting. Were at airport by 8:30... Time to spare! No problem.

The reason Royal told you that flight was too early is because if you planned to use their Luggage Valet service that flight time is to early for that program. It does not sound as if that was your plan anyway. so, barring any unusual circumstance with the ship, weather, or clearing Customs you should be ok doing Self Assist disembarkation and taking a taxi to the airport.

They also have general recommended flight times too but not many people pay attention to them unless they're using Choice Air.

We were on the Freedom last year and we had our bags sent right to the airport. There was info in the daily sheets they leave on your beds nightly about it. Basically you leave your bag outside the door the night before, (keeping out your toiletries etc that you will use in the morning & fitting in your carryon) and in the morning you just wait to be called to disembark. We walked right past everyone looking for their luggage and hopped in a shuttle for the airport. Not every airline offers this so make sure to read your info thoroughly. We were on a domestic flight with JetBlue.

DO NOT WORRY! You will have no problem! We just got off Independence of the Seas today--Allure was parked nearby. I just want to make sure you understand a few things. To do the early embarkation where you carry off your luggage, you are allowed only 2 bags each. That doesn't sound like that will be a problem for you. (We had 2 bags each plus small carry on suitcases and that would have been too much.) They give you a form to fill out about the 2nd day of the cruise asking you if you want to be one of the first off the ship. This is what we did. We were in group 4. We went down to breakfast at 7am, got to our meeting spot at 7:45am. They were already up to group 20. As previous posters said--get a taxi. Do not get on a transfer bus. We shared a taxi with another couple in line and cost was only $13 plus our tip. Our flight out wasn't until 11:15am and we were at the airport already at 8:15am. Another way to save a little time is to check in at the curb with a porter rather than waiting in line at the Southwest desk. You'll have to tip a little, but this will also save you some time in line inside. Have a great trip!! I miss it all already!