Clothes for Alaska

Halehuaka_i

Aloha!

We (by which I mean "me") are planning are first cruise, and it's to Alaska! Because we live in Hawaii, we have no cold weather clothing! Some sweatpants, a few long sleeve shirts, but no waterproof 3-in-1 jackets, no scarves, gloves or ear-warmers.:o

I have read on this forum about packing lists and layering, which can probably work if we can get a few things. I am watching on-line for end of winter sales coming soon. My question is, can I wait until we are in Anchorage to shop for cold weather clothes? We are there and at Denali NP for a week prior to our August 29th departure on Radiance out of Seward. Hawaii just doesn't stock that much by way of cold weather gear, so I can't even try things on to see what things are!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Lei

you can wait but you'll be paying top dollar for something you can get more cheaply now. If you DO wait, Fred Meyer has pretty reasonable prices.

Look down this page and you'll find a thread about mens waterproof jacket. You'll find useful info in that thread, plus a link to yet another thread about clothing. Probably buy a jacket 1 size larger than normal because you'll have bulky clothing underneath. JMO.

You may encounter a some snow at Denali at the end of Aug so you're smart to be prepared. As for the layering, since you're coming from Hawaii you may feel the cold more than most folks, so you may want to start with some long underwear (top and bottom). Then top it with a Tshirt, a sweatshirt/hoody/fleece pullover, then a jacket.

I always travel with a rain poncho in my daypack. Takes up no space and can come in handy.

Make sure you buy a moisture wicking base layer (long underwear). If you are hiking, or even walking and work up a sweat you don't want the moisture next to your skin because it will make you cold. Do not wear cotton next to your skin - no T-shirts for the above reason. A silk or Cuddle-duds base layer would probably serve you well. (Check any major dept store website as these are on sale now.)

We are taking a May 23rd Cruise, as we live in South Florida, warm clothes are not something we have either. Some long sleeve, but nothing heavy or wintery. I have a jacket that is waterproof that has a lining (not thick though), and it is not real heavy. Is a heavy jacket something that I need to really look for a end of May cruise or just laying clothes?

Aloha!

We (by which I mean "me") are planning are first cruise, and it's to Alaska! Because we live in Hawaii, we have no cold weather clothing! i

It would be great if you could borrow some cold weather clothing from friends or family instead of spending money to buy new clothing that you will wear for only a few days, if that much.

In August it is possible that the only cold weather you encounter may be on your glacier viewing day/s.

Maybe post a few requests on bulletin boards at work, church, the Y or any community organization and see what kind of response you may get from others who have traveled to Alaska or other northern locations and have leftover clothing to give away or sell cheap.

Many local communities have websites for that sort of thing.

Edited by fleckle

We are taking a May 23rd Cruise, as we live in South Florida, warm clothes are not something we have either. Some long sleeve, but nothing heavy or wintery. I have a jacket that is waterproof that has a lining (not thick though), and it is not real heavy. Is a heavy jacket something that I need to really look for a end of May cruise or just laying clothes?

You do not need a heavy jacket as long as your jacket is waterproof. I wear a long windbreaker with a hood. Under it, I wear a polyester long sleeve turtleneck, and a sweatshirt. I also take a hat or earmuffs, gloves, tennis shoes and warm socks. Umbrellas are useless because they fly up.

I also concur with the last poster. Forget any heavyweight type of jacket. Just get a simple thing that is waterproof. personally, since you are from Hawaii, and probably wont use items like this very much again, I would look for the cheapest item in that category. Why go out and buy one of those top of the line things when you MIGHT use it once or twice and then store it away for years. I would try Craig's list, or even the local Walmart for end of season specials.

again, think light weight but pack some warm underwear, maybe a turtleneck shirt and a hoodie, along with your regular items. You will be fine. For the most part, even at the end of August, temps won't be that cold in most locations. Find a very inexpensive thin pair of gloves and all that will be fine even for on deck viewing when you are by the glaciers.

Layering is the trick to staying warm, not how much you spend on those layers.

Cheers

Len

Aloha!

We (by which I mean "me") are planning are first cruise, and it's to Alaska! Because we live in Hawaii, we have no cold weather clothing! Some sweatpants, a few long sleeve shirts, but no waterproof 3-in-1 jackets, no scarves, gloves or ear-warmers.:o

I have read on this forum about packing lists and layering, which can probably work if we can get a few things. I am watching on-line for end of winter sales coming soon. My question is, can I wait until we are in Anchorage to shop for cold weather clothes? We are there and at Denali NP for a week prior to our August 29th departure on Radiance out of Seward. Hawaii just doesn't stock that much by way of cold weather gear, so I can't even try things on to see what things are!

Lei

Aloha Lei,

What island are you on? I'm on Kauai, and same situation. Luckily my sister lives in upstate NY so she got us jackets, caps, mittens for Christmas.

Thermal underwear, cuddle duds and such are simply not available here. I got a couple of pair of leggings and long sleeve Danskins to wear under jeans and such. It will just have to do. I'm thinking of ordering hand and toe warmer packs from Amazon. If my feet are cold, there's just no getting me warm.

Aloha Lei,

Thermal underwear, cuddle duds and such are simply not available here. I got a couple of pair of leggings and long sleeve Danskins to wear under jeans and such. It will just have to do. I'm thinking of ordering hand and toe warmer packs from Amazon. If my feet are cold, there's just no getting me warm.

You can order all of the above on Amazon......and more

Multiple layers is the key, I'd avoid anything heavy. Last summer 2013 was the hottest summer on record, lots of 70F and 80F degree days. Now the summer before, 2012 was the coldest and temperatures seemed stuck around 50F. A light, waterproof or resistant windbreaker would be nice.

Thanks to all for your replies! We will check all sources as suggested. We have friends that go skiing in Park City, so we may be borrowing from that crowd, over ten people! Also going to stop at Goodwill and Savers every couple weeks.

To return the favor, any questions about Hawaii, I'm glad to help!:)

Lei (on Oahu)

Lei, while you can't get cuddle duds where you are, you might be able to get running tights or capris at your sports store. These work the same way as a wicking and insulating layer. I prefer them because they fit more tightly and smoothly under jeans. Likewise, polypropylene running tops are a great first layer and may be easier for you to find.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lei, if you can invest a bit of cash and/or can find at Goodwill, Craig's List, etc., here is what we have found useful to wear on our Alaska trips and then have been able to wear many times again on other travels. I suggest these because they can be washed easily and re-worn on your trip many times, plus are lightweight for packing purposes. Look for lightweight fleece tops (such as the Thermacheck 100 zip-neck pullovers sold on Land Ends and usually on sale right now). I pretty much live in those on Alaska trips and if you wear a t-shirt under them, can be worn multiple times. They weigh close to nothing in your suitcase. Second, consider getting a pair of those zip off pants that can be converted to shorts (and hence, can be worn in all sort of climates). They are usually made of some type of ripstop nylon and wash and dry very easily, are comfortable, can be worn with tights or long underwear underneath if really cold, and come in very handy if you have warm weather and need shorts (don't laugh, I have had it happen in Alaska). Ever since he got his first pair years ago, my husband lives in these pants, both in travel and when at home in Los Angeles. As others have said, you don't need a heavy coat - better to have a lightweight, waterproof (but breathable) windbreaker type jacket with a hood and if needed, wear warm layers underneath. This is something you might find useful in Hawaii when rainy or stormy so would not be a totally wasted purchase. Jeans are ok (and you may have some already), but I also find athletic/yoga pants pretty useful (and they weigh a lot less in your suitcase and you may have those already, and they are a lot more comfortable if you get rained on than wet jeans). Alaska is very casual, and I find a fleece top, athletic pants and comfy shoes (running shoes, Keen's, hiking shoes, whatever), and carrying a windbreaker and a hat/scarf with me if needed, to work just fine in most ports and for most excursions. The touristy-type stores in Alaska (like Tongass Trading) usually sell things like gloves, hats, and scarves for decent prices (possibly cheaper than what you would pay to get them shipped to HI from Lands End or Amazon or Eddie Bauer, tho I would check those types of online sites for sales - this IS the time to find those types of things marked way down online). I find fleece gloves, scarves and hats to work best -- lightweight, cheap, and soft.

I found (on clearance) a softshell jacket from Freecountry.com which says its water and wind resistant and has a light lining to it and a hood. Will that be enough if I layer or should I spend the money on a fleece lined jacket?

I found (on clearance) a softshell jacket from Freecountry.com which says its water and wind resistant and has a light lining to it and a hood. Will that be enough if I layer or should I spend the money on a fleece lined jacket?
That should be fine, as long as it is a large enough size so you can add layers underneath.

I would not waste money buying anything expensive just for the cruise, unless it is something that you know you will wear again afterwards.

Many cruise passengers from warm weather locations just buy the inexpensive jackets that are found on sale at the Alaska cruise ports.

The same for hats, gloves, etc., but be sure to get waterproof or water resistant gloves.

I once forgot my gloves on an excursion and had to buy some fleece/wool gloves, the only kind available. They were useless as they got soaked in the rain and my hands started to freeze within minutes.

The key to clothing is having multiple layers that are very easy to put on or take off, preferably the kind that open in front so there is no need to struggle to pull anything on or off over your head.

Then it is very easy to add layers or remove layers as you start to feel warmer or colder throughout the day.

As you pull them off, you can tie them around your waist or stuff them into a backpack.

Sometimes just unzipping or unbuttoning a layer or two is all you need to do to become comfortable when you start to feel too warm.

Edited by fleckle

Aloha!

I'm from a warm weather place too, but not as consistently warm as Hawaii. I know I'll be colder then those traveling from colder climates. Eddie Bauer had a nice, very light weight water proof jacket with hood that folds up in a pouch. Easy to pack and you can definitely use on a rainy day again. You can order their stuff online. Also, underarmour makes light weight leggings and mock turtlenecks that should keep you warm. They are sold in any sporting goods store, or there might even be an outlet in Hawaii since they do shorts and tanks too!

Off Topic! We'll be in waikiki and aulani this August, my husband and I and 2 daughters in their 20's. Would love restaurants where locals eat and not to miss sites.

Thank you!

You can get anything in Hawaii via Amazon. They have everything under the sun for cold-weather climates.

I'm just wondering if Cuddle Duds are really a necessity for a mid-June Southbound cruise from Whittier to YVR? If they are, which is best? The silk, the cotton or thermal? As a Southern Californian, I have no idea! :cool:

"Off Topic! We'll be in waikiki and aulani this August, my husband and I and 2 daughters in their 20's. Would love restaurants where locals eat and not to miss sites."

Lovetotvltx, pls send me a msg, Halehuaka_i at yahoo dot com. put aulani in the subj line. I am glad to help!

lei

Hi there,

we also look forward to our first Alaska cruise. We have the problem that we travel 7 weeks total and our luggage weight is limited. So we take only the most important stuff with us and have to buy all other things we need.

Aloha!

Some sweatpants, a few long sleeve shirts, but no waterproof 3-in-1 jackets, no scarves, gloves or ear-warmers.:o

Do you really need all this stuff in summer? Well, I live in Germany and of cause we also have cold winters, but I never wear special clothing besides lined shoes. Maybe I would put on some long underwear if it's under -10° celsius. But I do not expect that low temperatures in summer. So why can't I wear my jacket I wear in normal winter days? On pictures everyone has that funny colored jackets - I don't want look like this :D

Edited by swoonx

Hi there,

we also look forward to our first Alaska cruise. We have the problem that we travel 7 weeks total and our luggage weight is limited. So we take only the most important stuff with us and have to buy all other things we need.

Do you really need all this stuff in summer? Well, I live in Germany and of cause we also have cold winters, but I never wear special clothing besides lined shoes. Maybe I would put on some long underwear if it's under -10° celsius. But I do not expect that low temperatures in summer. So why can't I wear my jacket I wear in normal winter days? On pictures everyone has that funny colored jackets - I don't want look like this :D

If you are from a colder climate you probably would only need hat, gloves for glacier viewing - standing out on deck for an extended time near the glacier will probably be the coldest time. Or if you have a whale watching trip planned out on the water.

How does your winter jacket do in pouring rain? That is why people suggest a waterproof layer with another layer underneath. Alaska is frequently rainy in the summer and by using layers you will be able adjust to whatever the conditions are.

You can find jackets and fleece in dark colors - on of my daughters will be wearing a Navy waterproof jacket with a grey and lavender fleece for layering under. She also did not like the bright bold colors. My husband has a black waterproof jacket.

Thanks for your great feedback! :)

The material of my jacket is probably good for rain, but my DW needs to buy one. I hope we will find all those things in the Hawaii outlet :D And I hope we don't need it too often..