Port or Starboard out of Ft. Lauderdale?

Currently booked in a balcony stateroom on the starboard side of the IOS for a B2B. So, sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale twice.

It has been many years since we sailed from Ft. Lauderdale and I can't remember if the view is better from the port side. We like to be on our balcony with snacks and wine for sailaway. Is it worth the hassle of changing our stateroom (a bit of a problem when we want to stay in same room for both cruises)?

Ellen

Second shot above, which I linked to as the first below, is the starboard side or the south towards Miami view. Second is port or north side view as you are leaving the channel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=305024&d=1394380276

attachment.php?attachmentid=305044&d=1394385176

P2150172a.jpg.17e105230c41c59113066b93b838a4c2.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

We had starboard JS for our Allure cruise. Considering sailaway is a very small percentage of your cruise, it really isn't a big deal to not be on the port side. We watched sailaway from another location on the port side.

Second shot above, which I linked to as the first below, is the starboard side or the south towards Miami view. Second is port or north side view as you are leaving the channel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=305024&d=1394380276

attachment.php?attachmentid=305044&d=1394385176

Actually....the first photo (which I took from out PORT side cabin) is a view North right at the turn going east out toward the Port Everglades harbor...you can see the end of the overpass bridge on the far left side of the photo...which is on the north end of Port Everglades.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Well since I was wrong above, as I thought it was in the wrong direction as it appeared after the condo shot not realizing it was of the inner harbor, so I dug into my photo albums and came up with these shots. First is south west view leaving the PE channel from a friend's pleasure boat, thus the very low view, and second is another view of north side beach and condo.

attachment.php?attachmentid=305059&d=1394390020

attachment.php?attachmentid=305060&d=1394390020

CIMG1384a.jpg.e9cc224caca97a1f824202c90bf09c32.jpg

DSC08846a.jpg.924fc1909bcd9ac513fdc57dc5395694.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

The sail away from Ft Lauderdale is the shortest of any sail away in Florida. It takes about 5 minutes and you are in open water. So don't worry and keep your cabin.

Well, that is good to know. Yes, I will not go to the considerable trouble to find another comparable cabin.

We can always go on deck for the first sail away and see if we are impressed or go back to the comfort of our balcony.

Thanks.

Ellen

It shouldn't matter on IOS, you will be docked so close to the channel, you won't really get a good view of much ! If you are on the port side, you will be able to sit on your balcony prior to departure and view the other ships and wave to the last few hotels as you leave and on starboard, you can view the beach area and ocean.

The sail away from Ft Lauderdale is the shortest of any sail away in Florida. It takes about 5 minutes and you are in open water. So don't worry and keep your cabin.

Yup - it goes quickly....there's a good view up top from the upper 2 decks as well. It is quick, but it's pretty neat too.

Also consider the ports you will be in. It's tough to tell, but it seems to me that most the time RCI ships dock on the starboard side. So if you like to sit on your balcony and watch the action on the pier the starboard side seems more likely. Having said that, we've had a number of port side to the pier ports. But we usually try to get starboard side for the above reason.

Well, that is good to know. Yes, I will not go to the considerable trouble to find another comparable cabin.

We can always go on deck for the first sail away and see if we are impressed or go back to the comfort of our balcony.

Thanks.

Ellen

Go sit in the cantilevered hot tubs on the port side for sail away. That's our favorite spot cause it offers a great view and it's relaxing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Darn! Thought so!

What is the view on the starboard side?

Depending on how high you are, you can see the skyline of the coast all the way to Miami. There is a state park near the exit of the port, plus you get a look down the intercoastal (I think that is what its called) waterway, lots of boat traffic.

I've often wondered if the captains have to work to keep the ship upright for everyone rushing to the port to wave to the web cam! ;)

Depending on how high you are, you can see the skyline of the coast all the way to Miami. There is a state park near the exit of the port, plus you get a look down the intercoastal (I think that is what its called) waterway, lots of boat traffic.

Well, like the sound of that!

Ellen

Well, like the sound of that!

Ellen

:):):)