Dead Getaway Roll Calls?

gambee

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I post, I am just so busy now days that it is hard to find time even breath.

So anyway, I think I have booked all my cruises for this year.

1. May 4 Carnival Breeze Western (I know again, lol)

2. MSC Divina for a short 2 night cruise a week later, just to test the line out and see what all the talk is about.

3. And lastly I decided to book Getaway for Aug 9, doing the Eastern of course. We are actually really excited about that cruise, because I got the dinning package included and a really good price on it.

Anyway, what's going on with the roll calls of getaway? Sarah said the same thing, she is going on Nov and hers is pretty slow as well. When I say mine is dead, I mean that there are 3 people and 5 posts. I looked everywhere thinking that maybe that was a duplicate thread, but it wasn't.

I was wondering is the ship is not selling well, or why the lack of members. I have never seen a roll call that slow, not even for the NCL Sky cruise. Well I lie, the Disney cruise was pretty dead, but that was expected.

Either way, not a big deal. I was not planning on branching out too much on this cruise, just curious.

I believe that ppl here on NCL board are a bit cautious about Getaway because of the hardships with Breakaway in the beginning and on most sailings there are more non-CC passengers than usually (also because of the media coverage and advertising which both attract more first timers). We booked a "last minute" Getaway cruise for April and the Roll Call seems to be really quiet too - at least when comparing to our Dawn repo cruise's Roll Call with thousands of posts. :D

We noticed the same thing on our May 31st sailing, but it is picking up good momentum as the sail date approaches. Once we got within 90 days there has been considerably more activity on our RC.

I think there has been some apprehension to the newer ships like you said. That and more people are waiting until closer to sail date because the good cruise deals seem to be better later rather than earlier.

It was more important to us to choose exactly what cabin we are in as opposed to taking what we could get on a good cruise deal.

Remember that Cruise Critic is only about 3-4 percent of the cruising population and the number that post is much less. I think those that join roll calls is EVEN less. Just seems like a lot of my more recent cruises have not had very active posters.

I am aware of the percentages, but still just low when compared to my other cruises. The breeze one (although closer sailing date) has a lot more action, 5 posts is really nothing. But I guess Denomyte brings up some good points.

Either way I am really looking forward to this cruise, hopefully everything will be running smoothly by then :)

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I post, I am just so busy now days that it is hard to find time even breath.

So anyway, I think I have booked all my cruises for this year.

1. May 4 Carnival Breeze Western (I know again, lol)

2. MSC Divina for a short 2 night cruise a week later, just to test the line out and see what all the talk is about.

3. And lastly I decided to book Getaway for Aug 9, doing the Eastern of course. We are actually really excited about that cruise, because I got the dinning package included and a really good price on it.

Anyway, what's going on with the roll calls of getaway? Sarah said the same thing, she is going on Nov and hers is pretty slow as well. When I say mine is dead, I mean that there are 3 people and 5 posts. I looked everywhere thinking that maybe that was a duplicate thread, but it wasn't.

I was wondering is the ship is not selling well, or why the lack of members. I have never seen a roll call that slow, not even for the NCL Sky cruise. Well I lie, the Disney cruise was pretty dead, but that was expected.

Either way, not a big deal. I was not planning on branching out too much on this cruise, just curious.

Definitely not just the Getaway. My Thanksgiving cruise on the Epic is dead as well.

Hi Gambee

Sounds like you've got 3 really nice trips ahead of you. Hope you have a lot of fun.

All roll calls that I have seen have been VERY slow lately, including our July Breakaway to Bermuda Roll Call. It's been a LONG cold snow filled winter in the northeast you would think lots of people would be inside on their devices making posts. Guess I'm wrong. They must all be outside shoveling the snow?

Not sure why this is. Many people have commented about the slow Roll Calls.

A lot of pretty good reviews for Getaway though!

Happy Cruising and say hi to your mom!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I am aware of the percentages, but still just low when compared to my other cruises. The breeze one (although closer sailing date) has a lot more action, 5 posts is really nothing. But I guess Denomyte brings up some good points.

Either way I am really looking forward to this cruise, hopefully everything will be running smoothly by then :)

I am sure it will pick up closer to sailing date. BTW, one of my friends in Australia absolutely LOVES you and your review of the Western Caribbean earlier this year. I keep hearing "Gambee is wonderful. Gambee did this. I am following Gambee's review to the letter."

I have found that the repeat cruises such as Bahamas and other Caribbean locations,

people including us have done them over and over to the point that we know what we want to do and when to do it, ports that we will get off at and ports that we'll stay on the ship.

But for Hawaii, Europe, Baltic's there is much more attendance on the rolls because these ports are new to most folks.

Our Breakaway cruise has little attendance and the talk is all gibberish talk about weather and other non essential stuff.

As for Panama cruise it's very slow while others are extreme;y busy with lots of concrete discussions and planning. JMO

Hi Gambee

Sounds like you've got 3 really nice trips ahead of you. Hope you have a lot of fun.

All roll calls that I have seen have been VERY slow lately, including our July Breakaway to Bermuda Roll Call. It's been a LONG cold snow filled winter in the northeast you would think lots of people would be inside on their devices making posts. Guess I'm wrong. They must all be outside shoveling the snow?

Not sure why this is. Many people have commented about the slow Roll Calls.

A lot of pretty good reviews for Getaway though!

Happy Cruising and say hi to your mom!

Kind of odd, I enjoyed my breakaway roll call, it had such great energy! Well, mostly lol ;)

Ill say hi to her for you :), thank you.

I am sure it will pick up closer to sailing date. BTW, one of my friends in Australia absolutely LOVES you and your review of the Western Caribbean earlier this year. I keep hearing "Gambee is wonderful. Gambee did this. I am following Gambee's review to the letter."

Oh my fans even in Australia :D (Love my fans, goes to show all that hard work goes to good use), I have been noticing some mild Australian activity on my blog. Seems like the cruise industry will grow there as more ships get deployed.

Hopefully the activity on the roll call grows slowly as the time goes by. Mom is really excited about finally doing a eastern caribbean cruise. I have to admit that I am looking forward to ST Maarten more than anything :).

Edited by gambee

I think that sometimes if it is far and advance and people are repeating ships then the "wow" first time factor is lessened and that contributes to the effect.

However, once the ball is rolling participation seems to pick up exponentially.

I would like to think it is the Northeast snow as well.

I actually made my final payment on the one snow day we had as winter has been so bad.

We have over 120 signed up for our M&G on Getaway next week !!

Actually, as of just now, the number has reached 133, and since the capacity of our meeting place at Cagney's is 134, the NCL group coordinator has been notified and asked whether a new venue needs to be found to accommodate all of us. WOW!! Never saw such so many people sign up for a M&G before.

I always thought that the newer ships tend to have more sign up for a M&G and have an active roll call. However, our last sailing on the Star Panama Canal sailing had a very active roll call and great M&G as well--although no way near triple digits. Could it be just random since every group can be so different?

Our roll call for our last cruise was very slow. We had a quite a few show up to the M&G and there were a quite a few members toward the end. But there was little to no activity.

I remember similar threads a couple of months ago about many ship roll calls being slow.

Maybe they are going the way of the dinosaurs. There popularity in general seems to be really going down since my first cruise in 2009.

We have over 120 signed up for our M&G on Getaway next week !!

The number is now up to 143! Sorry, but I couldn't resist bragging about how great our roll call is and how I've never seen such a high number confirmed for a M&G before. We've even surpassed the capacity of Cagney's, but was informed by the Group Services Coordinator that the venue won't be changed at this late date. We're all so excited!!

Hope all of you get more activity in your roll calls as your sailing dates approach. We love attending the NCL M&Gs and think that it would be a shame if there wasn't enough interest in a roll call for one. If no one is interested in organizing a M&G in a roll call that I'm in, I always volunteer because it's so worth it to me to have one. We've always met the most interesting and nicest people. I do recall not all of them had lots of people, and none ever came close to the number we have on our next sailing, but still thought that they were great to attend.

I'm sailing on the Getaway next month and our group of family and friends has reached 18. I was posting on our roll call early on but now that I am traveling so many others who are not interested in attending a meet and greet, I stopped posting. I wish I could interest them in this web site and the benefits of cruise critic but they seem to be busy doing other things and leave it up to me to do all the planning.