Swimsuit/Shorts in port...Men

packedandready

If you plan to ride a taxi from beach to ship, some drivers will not pick you up if they think the swimsuit could be wet. They don't want wet swimsuits on their seats.

DH would not go ashore in a swimsuit but that is his choice. He wears shorts unless we are walking to the beach or tendering from the ship to cruise line's private island or the like. We might decide we want to slip into a restaurant or store and a swimsuit would not be a good idea in that case.

Edited by sail7seas

DH has some swimsuits that look like cargo shorts. On board he'll just put on a t-shirt and off he goes.

Would this be acceptable in port or does he need to wear shorts over these? Most of our excursions have a beach stop. I'm thinking it'll be ok, but .....

Depends on the port but I would say he'll be OK (this is what my DH wears in all our port stops) but we have only cruised the Caribbean so it works.

Happy Sailing!!!

There are some very nice looking fashionable swim/shorts called Hybrid shorts that are very comfortable. They are made of materials that dries quickly. You can also find some nice Hybrid style fishing shorts.

Burt

For the most part they won't care as they know you are a tourist from a cruise ship anyway and its just reinforces their stereotype of you. My son as part of his confirmation class went to the Abyssinian Baptist church in Harlem. So I went too in a suit and tie. Tourist line up to go there too...many in shorts cutoffs and other things that my (jewish) father and mother would snatch me bald headed if I was to be that disrespectful to other people religion. Some islands are more formal and Bermuda would be one of those...and I am sure there are others.

Thanks for the replies. The swimsuits look more like shorts than swimsuits. We didn't even know they were swimsuits until we saw the insert (or whatever that lining thing is called).

Would never consider getting into a taxi with a wet suit. They are extremely fast drying and unless he stepped right out of the water into the cab don't think that would be a problem.

Always try to be considerate and respectful to the people/country we're in ... we are their guests.

Ditto here, the DH and DS always wear their swim trunks w/either a t-shirt or golf-type shirt and athletic shoes and socks. Never had a problem as the swim trunks look just like cargo shorts in the DH's case and the DS's look like long :Dboard shorts.

There is no one size fits all answer to this question. Based on your prior post it appears you are on the Celebrity Equinox with the following ports

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Bridgetown, Barbados

Roseau, Dominica

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

These are all tourist friendly Caribbean ports which will be full of other cruise passengers. If your swim trunks look like a traditional Brazilian then no, it is not acceptable.

yhst-31933256723514_2239_10254160

or a traditional European swimsuit like this.

50547ep_armani_b_gr_02.jpg

then no again.

If your swimsuit looks like this and paired with a sleeved tshirt then it would acceptable at most casual establishments

1377862_fpx.tif?$filterlrg$&wid=370

This question also comes up in the context of women's swimsuit cover ups.

If your swim cover up looks like this, then you really should only wear poolside

Swimsuit-font-b-Cover-b-font-font-b-Ups-b-font-Women-2014-New-Swimwear-Sun.jpg

But if your swim cover up looks like this then it is okay for casual Caribbean establishments

131392345_-french-terry-swim-cover-up--jaclyn-smith-clothing-.jpg

If you're talking about shops, restaurants, etc by the port, they're all very casual and expect men in swim trunks topped with tee shirts. And the womens' equivalent: a swimsuit with a dress type cover up.

As for getting into a taxi wet, no problem. They dry so fast that by the time you've packed up your towels and walked to the road, the shorts'd be dry.

DH has some swimsuits that look like cargo shorts. On board he'll just put on a t-shirt and off he goes.

Would this be acceptable in port or does he need to wear shorts over these? Most of our excursions have a beach stop. I'm thinking it'll be ok, but .....

DH, has the same sort of bathing suits that really do look like regular about knee length shorts. He wears them frequently on port stops. No Problem! :D

LuLu

~~~

It would be helpful if folks mentioned which ports or geographic areas they are referring to in their post. Cruise ships go to all 7 continents and call at hundreds of different ports every year. While wearing short (or even a swim suit with cover-up) is absolutely fine on most Caribbean Islands it would not be very acceptable in Dubai (where it would probably get you tossed in jail).

Hank

My DH exclusively wears hybrid boardshorts while in port in the Caribbean. This is totally acceptable (assuming they are "boardshorts" or hybrids) which by the sound of it seems to be the case. Typically even after being at a beach stop, those shorts of his are already totally dry before we would catch a taxi or shuttle back to port.