Tanning bed questions..

*DO NOT LECTURE ME ABOUT THE RISKS, IM AWARE. ITS JUST FOR MY VACATION SO I DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT A SPRAY TAN COMING OFF IN THE WATER*

ive been to the tanning bed a couple of times so far (three times) but i keep getting burned because the girls there tell me to go 10 minutes.. i keep having to wait a week and start tanning again. its not working at all. I have some questions:

1. How long will it take me to get a good tan (I wanna be this color

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/105176891/large.jpg) If i go 3 times a week for a month?

2. How many minutes should i go each week to get this color? (Ex. week 1: 6 minutes each session, week 2, seven minutes, like that)

3. What is the best accelerator only lotion? Does it matter what i use?

4. Should i tan my face? I want it to match my body, but i dont want the freckles or skin damage on my face. Im really pale so if i put a towel over my face while tanning will my face be really white and my body be dark? What should i do about that?

5. Will a tanning bed make me orange?

I need to have that color in the picture by May. I keep getting burned so im not sure if its going to work.. Help :( I dont want to have to get a spray tan or anything like that! It comes right off in the water!

Also.. is it true that tanning beds hide cellulite and stretch marks? and make you look more toned?

If im not the color i want, can i get a spray tan over my real tan? would it affect my real tan? or would it look weird?

I have a light olive complexion. The first week I only go 8 minutes depending on the type of bed and intensity.

The second week I'll go 10 to 12 minutes. I use a lotion with a bronzer in it and by the end of the second week I usually see some nice color. I'll continue for about a month and cut the days down to maybe 2 or 3 a week.

I always start at 3-4 mins....at least 4 times a week for the 1st week...then I start going up by 2 mins. once I stop "feeling" the after tan! It usually takes me 1 month to get really good color, and I hardly ever go over 15 mins each time I go. Yes...do your face. My makeup has some sunscreen, so I just keep my makeup on, and I get some color, without getting as dark as the rest of me....you can start wearing darker foundation, to match your darker skin!

A tanning bed will NOT make you orange....self-tanners can, but they've gotten better in the last couple years...but they are a major pain to be applying all the time!

Do NOT do it every day...I don't use an accelerator....don't seem to need it.

Even once you get tanned, you can still burn, especially in the Caribbean sun...so DO use sunscreen properly and frequently, so you don't ruin your vacation!!

Whatever color you get in the sun, you will get in the tanning bed....you don't become a different color!!!!

Edited by cb at sea

*DO NOT LECTURE ME ABOUT THE RISKS, IM AWARE. ITS JUST FOR MY VACATION SO I DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT A SPRAY TAN COMING OFF IN THE WATER*

ive been to the tanning bed a couple of times so far (three times) but i keep getting burned because the girls there tell me to go 10 minutes.. i keep having to wait a week and start tanning again. its not working at all. I have some questions:

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/105176891/large.jpg) If i go 3 times a week for a month?

If your only going 3 days a week you should have a tan by the end of the month depending on how fair your skin is.

2. How many minutes should i go each week to get this color? (Ex. week 1: 6 minutes each session, week 2, seven minutes, like that)

This also depends on your skin.

There are so many brands... I use one called PickMePomegranite with an ultra dark bronzer.

4. Should i tan my face? I want it to match my body, but i dont want the freckles or skin damage on my face. Im really pale so if i put a towel over my face while tanning will my face be really white and my body be dark? What should i do about that?

I personally don't tan My face. I use a powder bronzer

5. Will a tanning bed make me orange? ?

I've never turned orange in a tanning bed.... I have from some tanning lotions.

I need to have that color in the picture by May. I keep getting burned so im not sure if its going to work.. Help :( I dont want to have to get a spray tan or anything like that! It comes right off in the water

You should have no problem by may. That's plenty of time. I'm usually tan within a month.

Also.. is it true that tanning beds hide cellulite and stretch marks? and make you look more toned?

No, but my motto is that tan fat is better looking than light fat😃

If im not the color i want, can i get a spray tan over my real tan? would it affect my real tan? or would it look weird?

Yes you can, and no it won't look wierd.

I need to have that color in the picture by May. I keep getting burned so im not sure if its going to work.. Help :( I dont want to have to get a spray tan or anything like that! It comes right off in the water!

I am so fair I am practically albino. I do not usually tan, but after a cruise sunburn (even though I used sunscreen and wore a rashguard and all of my usual protections), I decided to go tanning before my last two cruises. I started out at 5 minutes. I am not kidding. I did five minutes three days then went up a minute. I would go up a minute about every other time, and I went five days a week for two months. I just barely got up to the maximum of 20 minutes one time and not the other time.

I tried an accelerator the first time I did it, but I am allergic to them! I had to go to the dermatologist and get a steroid shot and endure a lecture about not tanning! If you try one, don't put it everywhere. Do a test patch first! I never used one after that first time.

I wear sunscreen makeup and put more sunscreen on my face. I did not want color on my face. I also wore a rashguard and bikini bottoms. So I basically only tanned my arms and legs.

I do think it makes cellulite look less ugly.

Robin

Okay, does this sound like a good schedule to get the color I want?

Week 1: 6 minutes 3 days a week

week 2: 7 minutes 3 days a week

week 3: 8 minutes 3 days a week

week 4: 8 minutes 3 days a week

week 5: 9 minutes 3 days a week

week 6: 10 minutes 3 days a week

week 7: 10 minutes 3 days a week

I have 1 1/2 months until my vacation.. I do not want an intense brown color as i said before I want this type of color:

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/105176891/large.jpg

Ask your friends in town and go to a tanning salon with a good reputation. They will be able to ask questions and combine that with assessing your skin tone to know the right bed and time for you. All beds are not the same, and different people will react differently. I go to a high pressure bed and can lay for 18 minutes, but if you put me in your everyday tanning bed, I will burn by 8 minutes. Just find the right place and they should be able to guide you best.

I start at 8 and work up to 20. I only tan for cruises or my wedding :) I have pale, Irish skin.

Yes, I tan my face.

I go every day, or every other day. Probably 5 times a week. I start 45 days before trip. My salon does a 45 day membership.

This is as tan as I was able to get before our Europe trip:

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/venice-italy-day-1.html

Okay, does this sound like a good schedule to get the color I want?

Week 1: 6 minutes 3 days a week

week 2: 7 minutes 3 days a week

week 3: 8 minutes 3 days a week

week 4: 8 minutes 3 days a week

week 5: 9 minutes 3 days a week

week 6: 10 minutes 3 days a week

week 7: 10 minutes 3 days a week

I have 1 1/2 months until my vacation.. I do not want an intense brown color as i said before I want this type of color:

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/105176891/large.jpg

That looks pretty intensely brown to me!! You will have to try it and see. None of us can tell you if that schedule will work for you or not. You will KNOW if you're moving too fast. If you're not getting any color, move up the time. Just know you CAN burn.

Robin

You look so pretty and brown! Thank you for the help everyone! I appreciate it!

Aww, thank you! And it is possible in a month and a half! Like i said, I sign up for 45 day memberships when I need to tan for something.

Just some FYI, you might start to get spots or areas that don't want to tan. I suggest once you get comfortable using the bed start turning.

I bring my iPhone and listen to music and try to change on each song. You will notice your torso sides, under your butt cheek, maybe inner legs etc. might not get as much sun.

I do this pattern:

lay on back kinda in a frog position with arms angled too, switch to right side with arm kinda up resting on my head and bent to get under arm area, then roll to stomach (most uncomfortable, bring a towel to support your head), then roll to left side

Hello! I agree with others that have said to make sure you are going to a reputable tanning salon. I used to work at one here in Maryland. Fortunately and unfortunately, it is a small family owned business of three salons, so unless you happen to be from Maryland, I can't recommend it! But look out for good ones. The one I worked at also had a spa. We had to go through extensive training (not something I realized when I signed up to work at a tanning salon!). Everyone at the salon is very knowledgeable. Scope a few out. It's easy to see the "bad" salons once you go to a good one.

How long it takes for you to tan depends on your skin type. How long to start out with also depends on the type and intensity of the bed and how long the time limit on the bed. I always recommend starting at 6 minutes though for beds with 20 and 15 minute time limits. You need to be doing UVB beds. UVB beds are usually the cheaper and lower level beds, but it will change from salon to salon. The UVB rays build up your base tan. This usually takes around a month. Once you feel like you are not getting any darker using the UVB beds, it's time to switch to a UVA bed. They UVA rays will make your skin even tanner. The UVA beds require the base tan though, so if you were to start using them right away you're going to end up spending a lot more money and not getting the best results. The UVA beds also still have UVB rays, so you will maintain your base. You can still get very tan using just the UVB beds, the A's will just make you even darker.

I definitely do not recommend going tanning every day. Your skin needs time to produce melanin and also needs time to heal. It's sort of like how when people are trying to build muscle, they give their muscles a rest.

If you start out doing 6 minutes in a UVB bed, I would do that 3 times at first as long as you are not burning. If you burn, wait to tan until you are not burnt again. I would then recommend decreasing your tanning time. If you do not burn, I would recommend increasing your time by two minutes.

As for lotion, my favorites are the natural bronzers. Natural bronzers don't have DHA in them. DHA is what is used in spray tans. Natural bronzers ingredients like coconut oil in them. My favorite is called "Limited Couture." Again, the salon may not have it since they all carry different lines. The natural bronzers help to make you tan faster and moisturize your skin, but honestly, you can still get tan without a lotion. Tanning without a lotion can also decrease the smelly "after-tan" smell. I would still recommend a lotion to you at first though. Another thing, do not put tanning lotion on your face!!!! They make separate lotion for that which I definitely recommend.

The normal bronzers with DHA in them can make you orange. I've seen it way too much working at a salon and seeing my friends go down that road! Those bronzers can also streak you if you don't rub them in all the way. They will make you darker faster, but I don't think it's worth it when you can be your naturally beautiful tan with the natural bronzers.

I also make sure that I moisturize at night when I am tanning a lot. Tanning takes a lot out of your skin, so it's important to replenish your skin. Any lotion works fine for this.

Another lotion thing...don't buy any tanning lotions from the grocery store or wherever. They are not made for the tanning beds and will actually clog the pores of the bed. This results in decreased results for not you, but your fellow tanners!

I always tan my face. I like to be even, and I feel like it makes me not have to wear as much makeup which is always nice!

For spray tanning: I recommend airbrushing, but not before a cruise. Salt water and sand really does a number on it. With airbrushing a woman actually sprays the solution on your skin. The results are much nicer than the booth. To get the most out of your spray tan or airbrush, it is important to shower, shave, and exfoliate before your tan. The solution will come off quicker if you are exfoliating or shaving afterwards. It is also important to be really moisturized before your tan, but not having any lotion on the day of the application. It's also important to moisturize after your tan once you're through the recommended waiting time and have had your shower. You can get spray tanned right over your normal tan. I personally think that makes the spray tan look even better!

Let me know if you have any more questions. I haven't gotten to share my tanning education in awhile!

WHAT!! 10 minutes, no wonder you are burning...

You have already received great advice so I wont repeat that, but to start with they had you on the tanning bed too long. With a month in a half to go you can ease into this and get the tan you are after. My skin is on the dark side and I would never start with 10 minutes. The problem is while on the tanning bed it feels so good and you don't realize it until it is too late.

I no longer use tanning beds because of the damage it does to my skin, but heck if you are only going to do this for a month, no biggie!!

I compete in dance and tan often, usually once a month and why I cant do a tanning bed. I do airbrush with natural products that will not cause any health or skin issues.... But frankly, sweating in dance I know just how quick it will comes off and I would not recommend it if you are doing a warm weather cruise...

Just follow the advise from the previous poster and you will be fine....

Try starting out with 6 or 8 minutes, and build up 2 minutes every day or every other day. If you are very fair, take it slow. I always tan before a cruise. I usually go after work and my makeup as SPF so my face is protected. Sometimes I wipe my makeup off to help keep my face tanned, but not every time. You can always use bronzer, etc. to enhance your face. :)

Everyone has given you good advice.

Start slow and no more than every other day.

I start at 4 min and work my way up to 15 min on a 20 min bed.

For a bronzer I use Botanica, Shea You Love Me, fragrance free, hypoalergenic.

For my upcoming cruise I started mid january and will finish on tuesday: 2 months twice a week. I have found by doing the pre tan, and wearing a good sunblock ,I do not burn in the Caribbean, but do go a couple of shades darker than I was after the sun beds. Just what I want.

If the salon you have been going to had you in a bed too long it means they are not well trained. Find a new salon with staff that will advise you on a responsible course of visits and times from the start and check on your progress. If you want to tan your face a little just have the face lamps on for half of the time at most. I am not a fan of wearing makeup while if I am tanning my face.

Hope your tan turns out well and you enjoy your cruise.

Cheers, h.

I usually run shrieking from the sun during the hot months but I realize if I don't prepare i'll fry like bacon.

I have light irish/Italian skin and tan before I go too. Usually about 6-8 times. I went the first day 7 minutes and was a bit pink so I waited several days and dropped down to 5 minutes for the next 2 visits. I'll do the next few at 6 then the final two at 7-8 minutes. That seems to give me enough of a base to be ok. I also make sure to use a tanner that is made for tannings beds and cover my eyes with protection.

Once I'm on the trip i'll switch to normal suntan lotion and apply it regularly to make sure I don't burn.

Don't go by what the girls at the tanning place tell you. You know your skin better than anyone. Start off slow and see how your skin reacts the next day, and like another person posted, do not go every day.

Is there a reason you want to be a certain shade before you go? eg: a wedding or something where pictures will be taken? if not then honestly I wouldn't worry too much about your skin color or cellulite. Believe me no one will be looking at it anyway(I mean that is the best possible way-I know it sounds kind of mean:)

Good luck!

You also need to know what kind of beds the salon uses as well as if they have new bulbs. New bulbs can cause you to fry! My place has 9 minute stand up beds. I can't start for more than 3 or 4 minutes the first few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get no tan from tanning beds. Freckles, burn, and dry itchy skin no matter what I do. I loved the spray tans from Planet Beach last summer, so I"ll do this closer to cruise time. I'd be willing to try some self tanning lotions if I can find something that doesn't get orangey. I just used tantowel product tonight - it came well recommended - we'll see. I'm so neon everything looks weird on me! I just need enough on my legs so they don't blind people!!

Any recommendations for self tanning? - products and tips for applying to make it look as good as possible