AZ marketing must live in cave!

kiawahdon

Just got this email from AZ. Wonder if there will be a Meet and Mingle with Russian troops or opportunities to drive occupying tanks.

"Come see the home of this year’s winter festivities in a season much better suited for Sochi, summer. Originally known as Stalin’s summer home, nowadays, it has become the country’s biggest and busiest summer sea resort, with endless beaches, a mountainous coastline and a bustling nightlife. In fact, Sochi is often called the official summer capital of Russia. So check out our August voyage there in 2014, and two more in 2015. And let the summer games begin."

Do the Summer Games include armed street fighting?

Just got this email from AZ. Wonder if there will be a Meet and Mingle with Russian troops or opportunities to drive occupying tanks.

"Come see the home of this year’s winter festivities in a season much better suited for Sochi, summer. Originally known as Stalin’s summer home, nowadays, it has become the country’s biggest and busiest summer sea resort, with endless beaches, a mountainous coastline and a bustling nightlife. In fact, Sochi is often called the official summer capital of Russia. So check out our August voyage there in 2014, and two more in 2015. And let the summer games begin."

Clearly there are serious concerns about visiting what are at present considered Ukrainian ports in the Black Sea, and it's difficult to imagine how, if necessary, Yalta and Sevastopol could be adequately replaced in an itinerary.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but how would Russian tanks be "occupying" Sochi?

Have other cruise lines removed their Black Sea itineraries for 2014? There is a poster in the Larry P. thread who would love to know if and when ACC changes will be announced.

I am a little aghast that they would think describing a place as "Stalin's summer home" would entice me to visit there. Not exactly a world class role model. But on the other hand, it's not the first time their choice of language has made me look twice. On their website the complimentary tote bags are accompanied by a description that says "very handy for all kinds of schlepping!" I wonder if they know that's slang, and that it carries a connotation for awkward and clumsy.

. On their website the complimentary tote bags are accompanied by a description that says "very handy for all kinds of schlepping!" I wonder if they know that's slang, and that it carries a connotation for awkward and clumsy.

I've never seen or heard "schlepping" mean awkward and clumsy. "Carrying something awkward and clumsy", sure -- it means to me in this use that the bag is useful for carrying awkward things, which is a positive, in my mind.

I've never seen or heard "schlepping" mean awkward and clumsy. "Carrying something awkward and clumsy", sure -- it means to me in this use that the bag is useful for carrying awkward things, which is a positive, in my mind.

Merriam-Webster would disagree. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schlep

If I'm schlepping something on my vacation, that's not my idea of fun, no matter how nice the tote bag is.

Edited by dln929

I, too, was a bit surprised at the email.

I am a little aghast that they would think describing a place as "Stalin's summer home" would entice me to visit there. Not exactly a world class role model.

I see your point, but I'd be more interested in historic sites that reflected the nature of his regime (if any exist) than the Olympic edifices that now reflect that of Putin.

It's the same interest I have in seeing the Eagle's Nest at Berchtesgaden, Versailles or Catherine's Palce. I should hope that each would lead me to comprehensive reflection.

Regardless, it looks like cruises in the Black Sea will be problematic at least for this year.

I am always a bit shocked and embarrassed at the geographic ignorance of Americans, such as the OP. I do not see how Russian troops can “occupy” Sochi. Sochi is in Russia, and many many miles from Crimea.

As for the Black Sea, there are three ports in Ukraine, and the most problematic ones are in the Crimea where Russia has retained its former submarine base and Black Sea Fleet. However, on the Black Sea cruise itinerary there are other ports in Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey and several in Russia.

I think the email from Amazara was to remind passengers that even though there may be some uncertainty with two or three ports, there are other ports, and other interesting sites for those who desire to be informed about the past, including Stalin’s summer home.

It is way too early to cancel ports or worse an entire Black Sea cruise. Cooler head should prevail, and some people need geography classes! Perhaps you should stay home to do that.

On their website the complimentary tote bags are accompanied by a description that says "very handy for all kinds of schlepping!" I wonder if they know that's slang, and that it carries a connotation for awkward and clumsy.

Deirdre, there absolutely is nothing wrong with that description. Perhaps with all this lousy weather, you will have some time to brush up on your Yiddush! :)

Edited by CintiPam

Deirdre, there absolutely is nothing wrong with that description. Perhaps with all this lousy weather, you will have some time to brush up on your Yiddush! :)

Well, we're getting off on a tangent here that has nothing to do with the OP's post but I guess maybe my comment about "schlepping" does have a link to the Azamara marketing team not operating at full throttle. I actually like Yiddish words. They're so lively and down-to-earth. But when you start out your description of staterooms with this opener "Whether you book a stateroom or a suite, you’ll love the polished style and service of your own private retreat. In particular, you'll appreciate the finer touches, like "About Rose" Toiletries—a sophisticated brand of luxury soaps, fine toiletries and perfumed room sprays with an exclusive fragrance composition created by the master perfumer Olivier Decoster. It takes more than a beautiful room to elevate a voyage from “good” to “great.” On Azamara you’ll discover just how much professional service and a friendly attitude can add to your enjoyment." and then casually say that your tote bags are great for schlepping things around--well, to me there's a disconnect. It's strange to go from blue-blood Brahmin verbiage to...Yiddish. Oy vey! It gets me all confused.

Stalin's summer home was fascinating by the way.

So was Hitler's bunker and Ho Chi Min's tomb and hideout in Hanoi.

It's all about history!

Glad we did the Black Sea last August. I do not see how the cruise lines are going to Yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa -- three fabulous ports i the Ukraine. I tried to contact my fabulous guide Sergey after the trouble started and I have not gotten a response.

I know many cruisers on the O boards have cancelled their Black Sea cruises. It is too early to know what will happen, but cruise lines will have to decide soon if they are going to replace ports. Too bad really since the itinerary is divine.

I agree, dln, that the wording was odd.

Meanwhile, sitting on the couch last night and my wife is checking e-mail, and she says "you cannot believe what Azamara sent", and I said "something about visiting Stalin's summer home and Sochi?"

She was impressed by my mindreading ability.

I totally misread her next cue, though. ;)

I agree, dln, that the wording was odd.

Meanwhile, sitting on the couch last night and my wife is checking e-mail, and she says "you cannot believe what Azamara sent", and I said "something about visiting Stalin's summer home and Sochi?"

She was impressed by my mindreading ability.

I totally misread her next cue, though. ;)

That's a good one. I think you're in for it! :D

Trust me,I know where Sochi is! My whole point was the idiocy of AZ trying to pump- up an itinerary in 2014 that has little appeal due to political events in the Black Sea region. If you read other boards, cancellations are rampant for the area in 2014. If AZ is going to send me an E-blast, why not an enticing itinerary?

Trust me,I know where Sochi is! My whole point was the idiocy of AZ trying to pump- up an itinerary in 2014 that has little appeal due to political events in the Black Sea region. If you read other boards, cancellations are rampant for the area in 2014. If AZ is going to send me an E-blast, why not an enticing itinerary?

Your post has made me think back to two summers ago when Istanbul was having all those demonstrations. That was nerve wracking for many passengers with that port of call. Flurries of cancellations. I wonder how this will pan out.

Your post has made me think back to two summers ago when Istanbul was having all those demonstrations. That was nerve wracking for many passengers with that port of call. Flurries of cancellations. I wonder how this will pan out.

The demonstrations in Istanbul were last summer 2013, and they began shortly before the Journey was arriving at that port. There was talk of "alternate arrangements", but in the end we docked and everything was safe. The demonstrations were about the annexation of a public park for military purposes and were in the modern city across the river from the tourist frequented area. We enjoyed our discussions with many Turks about the issues. We were in Istanbul for three days and learned much about the culture and country. While we did not go to witness the demonstrations, others at our hotel did and said they were quite less dramatic than portrayed by the news. We were glad that cooler heads prevailed and we docked in Istanbul despite the demonstrations.

I think I'll look at snagging up that Black Sea cruise at "fire sale prices".