New Burger Concept - Noordam

POA1

I had a conversation with one of the Lido chefs on the Noordam who told me that they were going to fresh ground meats in place of the frozen patties starting with the current (3/10/14) sailing.

They were doing limited testing during our voyage (2/28) and the fresh patties we tasted were noticeably better. The burger station had beef, lamb, salmon, turkey, chicken, and veggie burgers. There was also a sausage of the day. The two Dutch favorites were available by request.

The burgers have always been good, but the new ones are even better. Now if only the USDA would allow medium rare... Darn you, nanny state overlords!

That is good.

The "C" word how dare you. this is neither the time or place to mention anything.

I am really enjoying POA posts. He is soooo funny. Even if it strays off course it is funny. Does a good job bringing out the "funny" in other folks also. I hope to one day be on a cruise with him. I think I know where to find him.;)

Love a medium rare steak but no way would i eat a burger that way. Too dangerous.

I don't like burgers as rare as I like steak.

Chefs in different countries cook differently, a rare steak in Mexico is called burned in France.

"The two Dutch favorites were available by request." - What are you referring to? Dutch hamburgers? Sorry, I don't get it.

Roz

Frikandellen & Kroketten. Several of the Dutch CC posters recommended them. I think the world will be a better place if we all had an appreciation for each other's junk food. :D I liked them very much, even though I apparently ate my frikandellen without the correct condiments. Oh well. Live & learn.

The "C" word how dare you. this is neither the time or place to mention anything.

I am really enjoying POA posts. He is soooo funny. Even if it strays off course it is funny. Does a good job bringing out the "funny" in other folks also. I hope to one day be on a cruise with him. I think I know where to find him.;)

In the laboratory, naturally. ;)

"The two Dutch favorites were available by request." - What are you referring to? Dutch hamburgers? Sorry, I don't get it.

Roz

I missed this original comment... Oh kroquetten met frites! How I've missed you....

Sorry I didn't know this two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've pretty much stopped eating hamburgers since I like them rare and ate them that way until a few years ago when restaurants refused to make them that way. So, even if I order a medium rare burger, it comes what I think of as well done, so no more burgers for me.

Thanks POA and Vermeul, although I'm still not sure what you're referring to. I'm guessing kroquetten is similar to the French/English word "croquette", so maybe a fish or chicken patty?

Roz

I've pretty much stopped eating hamburgers since I like them rare and ate them that way until a few years ago when restaurants refused to make them that way. So, even if I order a medium rare burger, it comes what I think of as well done, so no more burgers for me.

I agree, Carol. Restaurants here will not serve anything less than a Medium Well burger.

I'm "rare" too for all beef and don't understand why a customer can't get what they want and suffer the consequences if there are any, which I never have had in 74 years. I'd sign a release form happily that it was my request for rare.

Thanks POA and Vermeul, although I'm still not sure what you're referring to. I'm guessing kroquetten is similar to the French/English word "croquette", so maybe a fish or chicken patty?

Roz

You ask, we deliver! Courtesy of the InterWebs, my proprietary network of computing machinery and cables, here is some information on Kroketten:

http://www.thedutchtable.com/2011/07/kroketten.html

and, in the interest of being ridiculously thorough, may we also present you with a Frikadellen primer:

http://www.thedutchtable.com/2011/01/frikandellen.html

I tried the Dive In burger concept last week on the NA. Much, much better product than the old Terrace Grill. They have three basic burger combinations with a special sauce and the food is presented much like you find at a Red Robin.

Thanks, POA! A Kroketten was sort of what I already had in mind - a mixture in patty and then fried. I'm guessing a Frikadellen Eating Contest is similar to a hot dog eating contest here.

Roz

http://plzcdn.com/ZillaIMG/2a2d4fce08cbb57d886ed168044dbc01.jpg

Kroquetten (Dutch spelling) are basically a purée of chicken rolled in a breading (Panko-like) and deep fried.

Served with mustard or poultry gravy and fries.

The Terrace Grill also used to have knockwurst, but I only saw hot dogs.

Edited by VermeulT

This seems to be the attitude of many posters on this thread. Would you really give up your life for a rare burger? I find that incredibly sad.

Im sorry, i didn't realize that opposing views were not tolerated or welcomed.

I didn't either, however with your post No. 8, you actually started this discussion by stating

Quote: "Of course. I just don't understand why people want to take a chance with their health. "Unquote

Your post No. 11 which suggests that someone who demands a med rare burger & gets sick might try to sue the cruise line & many of your subsequent posts including the two I've quoted above, don't seem to tolerate or welcome opposing views..

Those who live in a glass house should think twice about throwing stones..:rolleyes:[

Kroquetten (Dutch spelling) are basically a purée of chicken rolled in a breading (Panko-like) and deep fried.

Served with mustard or poultry gravy and fries.

I'm guessing that doesn't come in a gluten free option. :cool: Sounds AMAZING :D

I'm guessing that doesn't come in a gluten free option. :cool: Sounds AMAZING :D

There's very little breading on the outside. They have a kind of panko crusted thing going on. I'm not sure about the inside ingredients though.

The Noordam Terrace Grill featured a sausage of the day. I saw bratwurst one day and knockwurst another afternoon. It wasn't something I really tracked though. I was hoping for weisswurst. If anyone is starting a petition drive for pretzel buns, let me know. :D