New Burger Concept - Noordam

POA1

I had a conversation with one of the Lido chefs on the Noordam who told me that they were going to fresh ground meats in place of the frozen patties starting with the current (3/10/14) sailing.

They were doing limited testing during our voyage (2/28) and the fresh patties we tasted were noticeably better. The burger station had beef, lamb, salmon, turkey, chicken, and veggie burgers. There was also a sausage of the day. The two Dutch favorites were available by request.

The burgers have always been good, but the new ones are even better. Now if only the USDA would allow medium rare... Darn you, nanny state overlords!

Sounds great. Wish they'd let us sign a release and cook our burgers medium rare. ;)

:D

ME TOO!

At least I can get a nice rare to med-rare burger at "Outback" .. That with their Chopped Blue Cheese Salad is a meal made in heaven!

Now if "Outback" can do it why can't HAL.. Are you sure it's the USDA who is regulating that on HAL or is it just a HAL excuse?? :rolleyes:

I've also had med-rare burgers on Oceania with Prime meat, so doubt very much it's the USDA rules.. Many Restaurants in FLA will give you a med-rare burger & they also have a disclaimer on the bottom of their menu's re the USDA caution, much like they put on Cigarettes ..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

ME TOO!

At least I can get a nice rare to med-rare burger at "Outback" .. That with their Chopped Blue Cheese Salad is a meal made in heaven!

Now if "Outback" can do it why can't HAL.. Are you sure it's the USDA who is regulating that on HAL or is it just a HAL excuse?? :rolleyes:

Betty

You can get all your other proteins cooked to temperature, but I think that there is probably a secret government conspiracy against juiciness. ;) Look how long the pork temperature guidelines had you cooking the other white meat into chewy leather. It wasn't until May of 2011 that they revised them.

Maybe one day, future generations will look up and say, "Grandpa, tell us what it was like when burgers were cooked until they were beef hockey pucks."

You can get all your other proteins cooked to temperature, but I think that there is probably a secret government conspiracy against juiciness. ;) Look how long the pork temperature guidelines had you cooking the other white meat into chewy leather. It wasn't until May of 2011 that they revised them.

Maybe one day, future generations will look up and say, "Grandpa, tell us what it was like when burgers were cooked until they were beef hockey pucks."

Finally! Just the other day we had wonderful roast pork at a local restaurant..I t was perfectly roasted, not overdone & chewy.. :)

Love a medium rare steak but no way would i eat a burger that way. Too dangerous.

I'm a senior citizen & have been eating med rare burgers my whole life with no ill effects, so I'm not going to change now..;) When I was a kid & Mom added garlic, salt & pepper etc when she made those patties or meat loaf, I would sneak some raw meat..:eek: Won't do it now, but still love them med-rare..LOL

Edited by serendipity1499

Finally! Just the other day we had wonderful roast pork at a local restaurant..I t was perfectly roasted, not overdone & chewy.. :)

I'm a senior citizen & have been eating med rare burgers my whole life with no ill effects, so I'm not going to change now..;) When I was a kid & Mom added garlic, salt & pepper etc when she made those patties or meat loaf, I would sneak some raw meat..:eek: Won't do it now, but still love them med-rare..LOL

Don't you wonder how those of us who are senior today managed to live this long seeing how many of us ate steak tartare for years? :D We didn't have tubs of hand sanitizer and relied upon bars of plain 'ole ivory soap? All those rare hamburgers we ate! What about all the coddled eggs we ate for years in caesar salads? Shocking we're still alive. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Here's hoping that the new burger concept extends to all the ships. And that they really are an improvement.

Now, if they could be as good as they are on Oceania, then I will be in 7th heaven. :D Wow, but those burgers were the best ever, with cooked to order steak fries, and a hand-made milkshake.

Can't do that very often, but once or twice a cruise is worth the price of admission.

So have I, Betty. A medium rare burger is the only way to go, IMHO. And, I've never gotten sick from it either.

Edited by innlady1

I will go out on a limb here. I eat my burgers rare. Cold rare. Never had an issue to date. Now that does not say that something could happen in the future, but at times you have I suffer for what you like. Some people eat oysters and clams in the shell raw. Some eat steak tartare.

When I was a kid I would eat veggies in the backyard garden. As is just knock off some of the dirt and have at it. Remove a bug if there was one.

And yes I have had Noro on a HAL cruise. But I knew exactly what caused it. I know those pains. But that is just me.

At the end of the day if some microbe survives my stomach to remind me of that time I ate a tablespoon of ghost pepper hot sauce (I will never forget that day.) then so be it.

I will go out on a limb here. I eat my burgers rare. Cold rare. Never had an issue to date. Now that does not say that something could happen in the future, but at times you have I suffer for what you like. Some people eat oysters and clams in the shell raw. Some eat steak tartare.

When I was a kid I would eat veggies in the backyard garden. As is just knock off some of the dirt and have at it. Remove a bug if there was one.

And yes I have had Noro on a HAL cruise. But I knew exactly what caused it. I know those pains. But that is just me.

At the end of the day if some microbe survives my stomach to remind me of that time I ate a tablespoon of ghost pepper hot sauce (I will never forget that day.) then so be it.

Thank you, brave food pioneer! :)

Any time my mother would bring home hamburger meat, she always fixed each of us a little raw "meatball" of meat and salt and pepper which we both ate -- and we never got sick either.

They were so good.

I had a conversation with one of the Lido chefs on the Noordam who told me that they were going to fresh ground meats in place of the frozen patties starting with the current (3/10/14) sailing.

They were doing limited testing during our voyage (2/28) and the fresh patties we tasted were noticeably better. The burger station had beef, lamb, salmon, turkey, chicken, and veggie burgers. There was also a sausage of the day. The two Dutch favorites were available by request.

The burgers have always been good, but the new ones are even better. Now if only the USDA would allow medium rare... Darn you, nanny state overlords!

Thank you for the information.

This sounds like the new concept that was started on the Maasdam -- and they changed the name from Terrace Grill to "Dive In".

HAL's hamburgers were good a few years ago. But the last time either of us had one was about 2 years ago. We couldn't eat them. Full of gristle.

I am happy to report that both the old (frozen) and the new (fresh) burgers were free of gristle.