Este Lauder on n/a?

cinnamon123

Do they still carry these products?

Thanks

Cinnamon123

I was just on the Westerdam and they had a small selection of Estee products, also Clinique. I'm almost positive that all HAL ships carry the same products.

Maureen

I have seen no savings on name brand cosmetics aboard ship.

I buy my Lancome products at either Macy's or Nordstrom when a free gift with purchase is offered. Never seen any sort of similar offer aboard ship.

I have found the Clinique and Estee Lauder products I use on some of the ships and they might be $2-$3 cheaper than my local stores. But there is no tax, so I am saving the 9.85% tax that I pay at home. I don't go on a cruise to shop for cosmetics, but if I need something, I might buy it. Also, it is a way to use up shipboard credit. They don't have a wide range of products, and sometimes they are sold in sets only. But it is fun to browse the shops and use the testers to try new products.

One warning - duty free shops in some ports actually have products at higher prices and they try to convince you are still saving as you are not paying the tax - "duty free" just means "tax free" - it doesn't mean it is on sale. And I found that in Europe the Euro price was the same as my local store's USD price, so that was actually a higher price. Found this especially in Greece and Spain.

Know the prices of the products you use before your cruise, and then you can properly compare ship and port prices.

I have found the Clinique and Estee Lauder products I use on some of the ships and they might be $2-$3 cheaper than my local stores. But there is no tax, so I am saving the 9.85% tax that I pay at home. I don't go on a cruise to shop for cosmetics, but if I need something, I might buy it. Also, it is a way to use up shipboard credit. They don't have a wide range of products, and sometimes they are sold in sets only. But it is fun to browse the shops and use the testers to try new products.

One warning - duty free shops in some ports actually have products at higher prices and they try to convince you are still saving as you are not paying the tax - "duty free" just means "tax free" - it doesn't mean it is on sale. And I found that in Europe the Euro price was the same as my local store's USD price, so that was actually a higher price. Found this especially in Greece and Spain.

Know the prices of the products you use before your cruise, and then you can properly compare ship and port prices.

Where do you have to pay 9.85% tax? Quebec Province? That is about the highest taxes we've seen.

I complain at Massachusetts 6.25%. :o

San Antonio sales tax is 8.25

Of course we don't pay state income tax....

We pay 5.3% state income tax plus 6.25% sales tax but the sales tax is not on food or clothing (except for luxury garments over a set amount of $).

TAXACHUSETTS

Edited by sail7seas

We pay 5.3% state income tax plus 6.25% sales tax but the sales tax is not on food or clothing (except for luxury garments over a set amount of $).

TAXACHUSETTS

I was always under the impression that Mass, because of that nickname, would have the highest sales tax in the country.

In Georgia, we pay between 6% and 8% depending on which of the 159 Counties and several special tax districts you may reside in. The state charges 4%, each county has options, school districts can have a sales tax, and voters can vote themselves a "special purpose" tax.

I was always under the impression that Mass, because of that nickname, would have the highest sales tax in the country.

In Georgia, we pay between 6% and 8% depending on which of the 159 Counties and several special tax districts you may reside in. The state charges 4%, each county has options, school districts can have a sales tax, and voters can vote themselves a "special purpose" tax.

What is the rate of your state income tax?

If your state's sales tax is a little higher, that only tells a little of the story. It is the combination of all taxes each state charges but most specifically Sales tax and State Income tax. We pay 5.3% of our income for State Income Taxes.

We also have high real estate taxes, excise taxes on cars, personal property taxes to name a few. :eek: :(

Edited by sail7seas

What is the rate of your state income tax?

If your state's sales tax is a little higher, that only tells a little of the story. It is the combination of all taxes each state charges but most specifically Sales tax and State Income tax. We pay 5.3% of our income for State Income Taxes.

We also have high real estate taxes, excise taxes on cars, personal property taxes to name a few. :eek: :(

I understand that sales tax is only part of the picture. However, that is all I was commenting on - I thought yours would be higher.

As far as you other points, GA has a incremental income tax ranging from 1 - 6%, so that does not easily compare.

Real estate taxes are complicated by the county structure mentioned before, added to by special tax districts and the fact that each school board can impose a property tax. Excise taxes on cars just changed here, we used to have an annual "ad-valorum" tax, but now pay a pretty large transfer tax on sales with no annual fee.

According to the Mass Dept of Revenue, your tax burden is about average.

See - http://blog.mass.gov/revenue/uncategorized/believe-it-or-not-tax-burden-in-massachusetts-is-average-not-taxachusetts/

Not to divert the thread - but OP I have found these products in limited quantity on HAL ships as well - there can be a small savings - it depends upon what the price is where you are (and if you are not from the U.S.) the exchange rate.

I know my prices for the products - sometimes I have seen a deal and other times not - they certainly have not cost more for us - so if I need it, it is a safe buy - if it's to save money - I do my math :)