Amsterdam - Canal Boat Rides

I always thought that I would take a canal boat ride when I visited Amsterdam, but now I'm hearing that (a) it's a ripoff at $25 per person, (b) you really don't see the buildings from down low, and © you can't get good photos from that angle.

Can those of you who have visited Amsterdam advise me based on your own personal experience? I'm beginning to think walking the streets and crossing the bridges would give me a better perspective!

Thanks!

Your information about Amsterdam and the canaltours is wrong, have a look at this link in Dutch (I cannot find the english version). http://www.lovers.nl/

It shows canaltours of about 1 hr at a rate of Eur. 8.50 p.p. which is the common rate. They sail from opposite central station. Also TUI offers more or less the same tours, however this company will soon be renamed after a take-over into Canaltours or canalrides.

The ships usually have a glassroof, so you have unobstructed views of the houses etc.

Opposite central station in the white building is the tourist-office, whre if necessary you can get maps of the city.

Enjoy.

... now I'm hearing that (a) it's a ripoff at $25 per person ...
Is $25 the cruise ship's price? If so, it just goes to demonstrate how much of a ripoff most cruise ship excursions are. Sometimes you just have to do one of them, but usually you're much better off organising something else.

At the normal price, it's something that's definitely worth doing, and you do get to see the surrounding buildings pretty well. There is nothing, however, to beat a week's stay in Amsterdam so that you can see it properly.

Some of the various websites showed a rate of 21 Euros, but now I realize that is the price for the all-day hop-on-hop-off pass. The boat ride at 8.50 Euros is much more reasonable and would give us an overall view of the city. Then, afterwards, we could walk back to the areas we liked best.

After browsing through some guide books from the library, I quite agree that you really need several days in Amsterdam. There is so much to see.

Unfortunately the Rijksmuseum is closed for renovation; only one small wing is open.

We are looking forward to a reunion with a Dutch couple we met on a Holland America cruise last year. They are coming all the way to Amsterdam to have lunch with us!

I have been to Rijksmuseum recently and to a tourist this renovation is even better!!!

You will see many toppaintings (Rembrandt, Fr. van Hals etc.) , silver etc. all in a smaller portion of the Museum, which means you will need less time.

I liked it better this way.

How nice to be punctuating your trip to Amsterdam with a reunion! I'm sure that will make it memorable.

The canal boat ride is very nice, although I can't remember how long it takes.

I would do it, although, assuming you just have the day, it's a tough call. Strolling through some of the nicer areas of the city is great--maybe you can have your Dutch friends suggest a place somewhere like the Jordaan, not quite so touristy. There are also beautiful neighbourhoods around Museumsplein, so if you get to the Rijksmuseum, you could meet them there.

As for the usual spots like the Red light district, and that whole area to the left off the Dam square nearby (can't remember the names of these areas), I would not bother--there are some areas of the city that are just so touristy they are downright tacky, eitherfull of young, stoned backpackers, or rip-off tourist restaurants. That's the only downside of this marvellous city, to me.

I'm not nearly an expert, but have been there four times over the years, probably about two weeks in total.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I was out of the country and just now found your question.

Rijksmuseum is open daily between 09.00am till 0600 pm.

Admission is Eur. 9.-- p.p.

• 5 months later...

Have been to Amsterdam so many times but still want to go back, it is one of the worlds great cities.

There is so much to see and do, one day is just not long enough.

The boat trips by night are better than the ones by day, even better if you get to have a meal on board.

However take any boat trip and you should get an excellant tour guide to explain to you what you are seeing. tHere seems to be a move away from, real people to using tapes and head phones which is a pity.

Yes you are low down and sometimes the veiws would be better from up high, but thats not the point you have a limited amount of time and you need to see so much,a bus tour is not very good as you can not get into all the small back streets like a boat can do. The hourse and trap is nice if you have time.

A boat trip is still the best way of getting as much out of Amsterdam as you can in only a few hours. But be warned once you have been you will want to go back.

yours Shogun

DH & I took a canal boat ride in 1969 when we spent five days in the city. Took our two daughters to Amsterdam 30 years later and treated them to a ride with us. Some of the best memories we have. Well worth the tour. But if you can snag a trip from a private operator while you're in port, save the extra dollars from the ship's excursion and go for it.

Trip isn't much more than an hour or two but the tour guides give you so much historical info that it is well worth it.

Enjoy. Amsterdam will always remain at the top of my favorite places to visit.

Dianne

Archived