Help me choose 7 day Breakaway or 9 day GEM

Rileyz

We are currently booked on the Gem for a 9 days E Caribbean in October. We are in a 2 bed Haven suite. With the kids sail free we could switch to the 7 day Bahamas on the Breakaway for the same price, also in a 2 bed Haven suite.

Obviously 9 days and the Caribbean is better, but, does the Breakaway itself negate this? We have been on the Gem a few times but we've also been to the Bahamas a few times. We would lose a little obc as we booked the Gem 9 mths in advance. That's not a deal breaker for us though. Please help me decide! Thanks for any input :)

Without a doubt, I would always choose ANYTHING other than a Bahamas itinerary.

9 days to the Caribbean as opposed to 7 days to the Bahamas for the same price?

That's a no brainer.

Caribbean 9 days!!!!!!!!!

I did both itinerary/ship, I must say I don't care for the Bahamas route anymore...if you skip GSC, this is boring :(

My 9 days on the Gem to the Caribbean were the best days on a cruise. Great ports, great ship....

Without any doubt stay with the Gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I dealt with this exact issue when considering a cruise for my sister and her fiancée......

after much consideration Gem wins hands down.

Not to take anything away from the Breakaway, because two weeks after her cruise, on New Years, I am booked on the Breakaway.

In the end, the ports on the 9 day and the beautiful condition of the Gem makes it a great choice. Breakaway looks fantastic, and it is, but for my sister and her fiancée (who has never been on a cruise), I felt the Gem would really wow him and so would the ports, and the Breakaway might almost be too much to handle and not such great ports......

I agree with the poster that said if you skip GS Cay you have a boring itinerary......I did the Gem on this itinerary in 2011 (with my sister), and we did have to skip GS Cay and that was very unfortunate. So two ports, one of them Florida......and a lot of travel time to get to see central Florida and the Atlantis Hotel.......

Edited by cherylroslyn

Thought that I was less safe there than say Bermuda and found it to be less cleaner as well.

Did do the E. Carib cruise on the Gem last March and loved it. More variety of people and places in the various ports and you get name brand hard liquor at 60 percent of the price you pay in the states in St. Thomas. As I understand, you can bring 5 bottles each adult through US customs.

Never did the larger ship as I am in love with the Jewel class ships of NCL-not too small and not too big, they are just right as Papa Bear says in the story.

I went through this thought process last week. If it were just me, I'd go with the GEM. Better itinerary and more mature crowd.

But I am sailing with the grandkids and they are wow'd by the slides, bigger Splash Academy and activities on Breakaway. So, it is Breakaway for the family for our June sailing. Then, I'll sail GEM on the 11-day itinerary in Oct.

I'm the odd one out here.

We also had the same dilemma when we booked last week. Same price, couldn't decide. In the end we went with Breakaway. The ship is more important to us than the ports and we've never sailed on a new ship. We usually do the older ones. There seemed to be more things for the kids to do. Also 9 days was just a tad too long for us. DH would have to be okayed for more time off work and we have a 3 and 4 year old so not sure i'd want to do 9 days with them. I can totally see the appeal of both sides though. In the end, the experience of the breakaway is what won for us.

Edited by Prinycesa07

I am reading a lot of mixed reviews on the Breakaway. My husband said he is leaning towards the Breakaway because it is new but he is fine either way. The other couple we are going with told me to decide. The only reason I would choose breakaway is it is new and I have not seen any of the shows. Has anyone stayed in the Breakaway Haven? I really do appreciate all of your opinions since my travel partners are deferring to me. I'm either the hero or the zero on this one! Lol

I went through this thought process last week. If it were just me, I'd go with the GEM. Better itinerary and more mature crowd.

But I am sailing with the grandkids and they are wow'd by the slides, bigger Splash Academy and activities on Breakaway. So, it is Breakaway for the family for our June sailing. Then, I'll sail GEM on the 11-day itinerary in Oct.

I am doing the Breakaway for new year, the way you did this year....do you have

any pointers....looks like you enjoyed the ship given the smiley faces in your signature.

Breakaway. You've been on Gem already and Gem is tired in many ways and needs refurb NOW.

Breakaway itself is a destination. Thought it was fabulous and wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

Edited by mizlorinj

The Gem 9 day wins hands down for me, we just did the Breakaway 7 day and we are always in the Haven. I would not do the BA again even if it were for free (yes I do mean that) Beautiful ship but not very relaxing for me, I love the Jewel Class ships and the 9 day.

i went thru the same process last week as well. In the end, I pick Gem. I already went to the same itinerary that Breakaway offers, and I have been to Nassu too many times. in addition,Gem's itinerary is way better. For the same amount of $$, you get to enjoy 2 more days without cooking and cleaning :-)

We are currently booked on the Gem for a 9 days E Caribbean in October. We are in a 2 bed Haven suite. With the kids sail free we could switch to the 7 day Bahamas on the Breakaway for the same price, also in a 2 bed Haven suite.

Obviously 9 days and the Caribbean is better, but, does the Breakaway itself negate this? We have been on the Gem a few times but we've also been to the Bahamas a few times. We would lose a little obc as we booked the Gem 9 mths in advance. That's not a deal breaker for us though. Please help me decide! Thanks for any input :)

7 days vs. 9 days? 9 days wins hands down!

Forget the fact that you'll lose latitude points since you booked 9 months out.

Forget that fact that *I* hate the Bahamas and lots of ships go there.

Forget the fact that you'll lose a little OBC.

The Breakaway will always be there

Most important: 7 days vs 9 days? 9 days wins hands down!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I'm also the odd man out. We've been on both and you just can't beat a new ship once the kinks are worked out. We just got off the BA a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. We really enjoyed everything about the ship. It never felt crowded and the shows, service, and food were terrific.

We stayed in the Haven on the Breakaway and found the room relatively small for a family of four when compared to similar suites on Ncl Jewel class suites. Also, we find service on the Breakaway lacking, but we did sail 5 weeks after the ship first docked in N.Y. Perhaps they worked the bugs out by now. The water and sports complex are excellent. Food was good in the specialty restaurants and Haven, but inconsistent in the main dining areas. Entertainment is lacking. The big budget shows are good, but once you see those shows, there were few other shows during the week. We have not sailed on the Gem, but had the owner's suite on the Jewel and two bedroom on the Pearl. I would choose the Gem over the Breakaway. I wrote a full review of my Breakaway cruise in the review section. Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't been on either but I'm sure whichever you choose it will be a great trip.

Here's a pic of the two together from the portofnywebcam.

Happy Cruising

ImageUploadedByForums1394888534.545840.jpg.8063ef067c85f0a1eac49ab12d9e78cf.jpg

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Sailed both ships both itineraries. Would pick gem hands down! Better itinerary food basically same on both ships both ships beautiful and great. But gem will always be our favorite. Love spinnaker and the great outdoors both greatly missed on breakaway! Also crew on the Gem is great Lastly 7 vs 9 days--- no brainer

Safe sailing

P's. I never like to miss the cruzan rum tasting stand in St Thomas free great rum!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app