Public Beach, chair rentals, watersports and how do we find the bus station?

rdevine10

We will be in Grand Cayman for the 2nd time on our april Freedom cruise, cant wait!

This time we want to go to Public Beach. I have read that you can get there via taxi for $5 pp each way or you can use the public bus for $2.50pp each way.

However, the links I am finding regarding the Grand Cayman bus system are not working anymore. Can someone show me a map or give directions to where to catch the bus to the beach (I think I read its by the library????).

Also, does anyone know the cost of a chair rental at the public beach? I know there are picnic tables from what I read, but we may want to rent a couple chairs instead.

Also, I know I have read in the past sometimes there are watersports in this area. Something for the kids and a banana boat thing. Does anyone know if this is cash only? Or who does this?

Thank you so much! Just trying to figure out how much cash we will want in Grand Cayman vs credit card, etc.

Edited by rdevine10

George Town has a great public "bus" system that is pretty easy to find from where the tender drops you. The buses are little minivans that leave every 15 minutes or so from a small lot near the public library and Heroes Square. Walk about two blocks inland on Edward St. They go pretty much all over the island to the major attractions - Seven Mile Beach, Turtle Farm, Hell, etc. The bus drivers will drop you off anywhere along a route that you want to go. The fare is usually $2.50 U.S. and you pay when you leave the "bus." To catch one going back, you stand on the opposite side of the street from where you're dropped off. There are no official bus stops, so if you see a minivan coming, wave at it and it will stop. If it honks at you when approaching, it is because the driver is asking if you want to get on the bus.

Buses to/from 7 Mile Beach run every 15 minutes.

East End and North Side - Every hour, 6 a.m. - 9 p.m., Fare: CI$2 each way.

Logos located on the front and rear of buses to identify routes:

Route 1 (yellow) and Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to WestBay (includes 7-mile beach)

http://www.thecaymanislands.ky/car-rental/bus-service/

Actually, they will stop at the beach access points...the buses are REALLY easy on GC! If you aren't sure where they're going, just ask! It's not hard!

I can't remember the exact amount for 2 loungers and an umbrella...I think it was in the $26 range. Hubby rented a waverunner for about 30min for around $98 or so....he was free to do what he wanted...not a "guided" tour! He loved it! Credit cards are accepted for watersport stuff. We paid cash for the chairs....your kids won't need loungers, just so you know! Kids don't "lounge"! They'll be in the water, or doing something!

Edited by cb at sea

Actually, they will stop at the beach access points...the buses are REALLY easy on GC! If you aren't sure where they're going, just ask! It's not hard!

I can't remember the exact amount for 2 loungers and an umbrella...I think it was in the $26 range. Hubby rented a waverunner for about 30min for around $98 or so....he was free to do what he wanted...not a "guided" tour! He loved it! Credit cards are accepted for watersport stuff. We paid cash for the chairs....your kids won't need loungers, just so you know! Kids don't "lounge"! They'll be in the water, or doing something!

What part of 7 mile beach did you go to? We're interested in sections that have the rentals, and if there are lockers at any of the sections that would be a plus :). Were you near Public Beach/Calico Jack's? Thanks!