New York City

Deb&Bert

We are driving to New York the week of Aug. 17th.

We are looking to only spend a couple of hours on Thursday morning before going on to the Truimph.

Is their a FAST way to go see Ground Zero???

Thanks for all your help..

Deb

Planet Hollywood in Times Square is this easy to find???

Are you planning to park at the pier (I assume so)? I'm not sure how early they let you park, and you're supposed to drop your luggage off with the porter before parking - not sure how early the porters will be taking luggage, because they'll be busy with the disembarking pax. Assuming you can park early, the fastest way downtown is the subway. You can take the E train (8th Avenue local) to the end, which is the World Trade Center station. (It's still called WTC - some of the conductors won't announce that the train goes to the WTC - it still hits a raw spot ....:() There is a station at 50th Street and Eighth Avenue closest to the pier. Here is a link to the E train stops: http://mta.info/nyct/service/eline.htmAs for Planet Hollywood, it's at 45th and Broadway; from the E line, you'd stop at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue.

Have you driven in NYC before, if you want a "drive by" of ground zero, simple, get a map from AAA or similar, same with Times Square, BUT if you are looking to drive to these areas and park, a whole another story. Best would be to park for your cruise drop your bags with the porters then tour. You can WALK to Times Square, 5 long blocks, then the subway to ground zero. Subway NR to Cortland or E to WTC. Look over a map. There is a bus on 49th, but only runs about every hour, would get off on Broadway/7th.

I would definitely take the subway, the buses usually just take way too long, figure you will be stopping about every 2 blocks for about 70 blocks on the bus and maybe 7 stops on the subway. But, beware that they have started to check peoples bags before they get on the subways due to the incidents in London.

Is it possible to get a good look at ground zero from a car?? And do they charge to get into that area???

We are thinking about parking at the port and grabbing a cab.

We figured to go to ground zero, Time Square and just look around

we could easy spend 50 to 75 bucks for a cab.

Hubby don't want to do the sub way..

Frankly, if all you do is drive around Ground Zero, you'll be looking at a construction site. You won't see the temporary memorials. There's no charge (unless you patronize some of the opportunists who have set up shop there). A cab from the pier downtown will probably take 25-35 minutes if the traffic is good - a lot more if there are delays. Hope this helps!

The subway and a cab are both part of the NY experience.. I prefer paying the $2 one way on the subway and not have to sit in traffic for who knows how long for who knows how much. I just hope that your hubby is aware that the ride in a cab might be a lot worse, some of them don't have air conditioning.

My preferences would be:

Drive my own car

Subway

Cab

Bus

An alternative to a cab is car service, you can hire someone to take you from the port to ground zero, wait for you and then take you to Times Square.. from there, walk back to the port.

Is it possible to get a good look at ground zero from a car?? And do they charge to get into that area???

We are thinking about parking at the port and grabbing a cab.

We figured to go to ground zero, Time Square and just look around

we could easy spend 50 to 75 bucks for a cab.

Hubby don't want to do the sub way..

A taxi from the port to Ground Zero will cost about $20-$25 each way depending on traffic.

There's no charge - there's nothing to charge for.....nor any area to enter. It's a construction site. However, there are some very moving and lovely memorials around the site.

I'd also recommend walking around the area, seeing Wall street, the Fulton St. fish market, the seaport. Much more interesting than HardRock. Why come to NYC for something you can see in your local mall?

Jane

Just about every subway has a stop somewhat close to the WTC. NYC narrows near the southern tip of Manhattan. I work about 3 blocks from the area and I think it's worth walking around. There is a church, St. Pauls Chapel, located across from the WTC site which has a wonderful exhibit, "Unwavering Spirit: Hope & Healing at Ground Zero" . St. Paul's was the site that was home to an eight month volunteer relief effort. Many people from around the world hung personal messages and memorial articles around the fences of the church after 9/11. Many of these have been preserved. This is absolutely worthwhile seeing. You have to walk one block east to Broadway to the entrance of the church but you can see it from the WTC site. Fortunately, this old church was spared.

If you take a cab from the pier, the driver will drive straight down the west side highway (no traffic lights) to lower manhattan - a pretty fast trip assuming the traffic uptown by the piers is not bad. It may be hard to get a cab at the pier, so if you have trouble, just walk down to street level and perhaps cross the street. Even though traffic will be going in the wrong direction, just tell the driver you want to go down the west side highway to the WTC site. It he doesn't take the highway, it will take more time and more money.

Tell hubby, the subways are safe and super fast, and only cost 2 dollars each.

:)

If you are not sure whether you want to go to the World Trade Center site, keep in mind that it is not much more than a hole with a fence around it. There is not that much to see. If you are in a car and looking at the site, then there is definitely nothing to see.

I would suggest you spend you time in New York City taking a few photos in front of the New York Public Library on 5th Avenue (the one with the lions in front) or taking a horse and buggy ride around Central Park or going to the observation deck of the Empire State Building. If you've never been to Times Square, just walk there (or take a quick cab ride) from the cruise port. You'll have a chance to take some good pictures and stand in a place that looks like New York City.

I live a block away from the World Trade Center site. People who come down to the site expecting to see something leave with a sense of disappointment. There are people who come for a spiritual reason, not really to see anything as much as to stand on site and pray. If that is what you are interested in doing, you won't be disappointed.

I think if you had been to the World Trade Center prior to 911 then visiting the site now will have a tremendous impact on you. Otherwise it is just a hole in the ground as Papadave said in his post.

We were on vacation in NYC the week before 911. We stayed at The Plaza for 2 nights and then moved down to the Marriott at the Financial Center. Monday morning, we got some donuts and coffee and sat out in the plaza area by the water fountain that looked like the world. We sat for a couple of hours watching people going in and out of the buildings running to worlk. We left that afternoon to take Amtrak home to MA. The following Tuesday was Sept 11. I could not believe my eyes watching what was happening. We were all in the cafeteria around two tv's watching the second plane hit the buildings live on tv. Later that evening, I saw that water fountain in a twisted pile of metal and got the sickest feeling in my stomach that we were just there 8 days ago..........Anyway getting back to visiting the site..........the following August we were driving to Florida and stopped in NYC to visit my sister-in-law. We all took the train from Long Island into the city and went to the Trade Center site. It was so moving. My daughters both cried, they were only 10 when we were there and now at 11 years old I was touched at how it effected them, it effects people of all ages. Anyway, we go every time we are in NY just to say a prayer and thank God for everything we have because it could be all gone in a flash.

dondonma

My hubby worked there in the 1980's and was going to take a job at the towers before the attacks. After the attacks he ended up with the same agency but in NJ.

We live in a town that lost 36 people. Boats brought survivors to our marina for triage and decontamination and people drove them back to NY or NJ to their homes. We could smell and see the smoke across the bay for days and days. I wheezed badly for several days after the buildings went down. I still can't believe it happened at times.

I think if you had been to the World Trade Center prior to 911 then visiting the site now will have a tremendous impact on you. Otherwise it is just a hole in the ground as Papadave said in his post.

We were on vacation in NYC the week before 911. We stayed at The Plaza for 2 nights and then moved down to the Marriott at the Financial Center. Monday morning, we got some donuts and coffee and sat out in the plaza area by the water fountain that looked like the world. We sat for a couple of hours watching people going in and out of the buildings running to worlk. We left that afternoon to take Amtrak home to MA. The following Tuesday was Sept 11. I could not believe my eyes watching what was happening. We were all in the cafeteria around two tv's watching the second plane hit the buildings live on tv. Later that evening, I saw that water fountain in a twisted pile of metal and got the sickest feeling in my stomach that we were just there 8 days ago..........Anyway getting back to visiting the site..........the following August we were driving to Florida and stopped in NYC to visit my sister-in-law. We all took the train from Long Island into the city and went to the Trade Center site. It was so moving. My daughters both cried, they were only 10 when we were there and now at 11 years old I was touched at how it effected them, it effects people of all ages. Anyway, we go every time we are in NY just to say a prayer and thank God for everything we have because it could be all gone in a flash.

dondonma

Archived