Seattle Options

LilacCruiser

Hello Cruise Friends,

I've already posted this on the West Coast Departures forum, so if you've already read this there, please disregard!

I received a lovely email from Delta yesterday that the itinerary I had booked with a noon post-cruise departure from SEA has been changed to an 11:15 P.M. red eye (3rd itinerary change in 2 trips with Delta recently, which will likely result in this being my last flight on their airline, but that's a story for another forum). The I'm-trying-to-find-a-silver-lining result of this is that my kids and I get an extra day to explore Seattle. The implication - what am I to do with our luggage all day??? One adult+two kids+a week's worth of cruise baggage does not bode for a fun day. Does anyone have a solution for me?? Options I've tossed around in my head overnight:

-is there luggage storage near the port? If not, here's a lucrative business for a Seattle-ite.

-rent a car and drive around with the bags in the trunk all day. Less than ideal, as I'd prefer a pedestrian day in Seattle and hate urban driving in unfamiliar territory. Are car rentals available near the port?

-book a hotel room in a cheaper than cheap hotel and keep the bags in the room all day. Although potentially the most expensive option as a cheap hotel in downtown Seattle may not exist.

-check in for the flight early and let Delta babysit our bags ideal. Most ideal scenario as it is probably the least expensive. Would result in two trips via rail to the airport, but do-able. But, how early can you check in for a flight and check your bags?? We'd also obviously be checking then leaving the airport, if do-able. I promise I'm not a terrorist. Just a single-mom of two who's currently mad.

-we are on HAL. I could look into their baggage direct service that I've heard of. Any experience with this??

-anything I haven't thought of?

Any tips or feedback on past experiences would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance,

I had a similar change on my United flight, but I was able to re-book at no charge for a flight earlier in the day. I think most airlines give you the option of taking another flight if the airline changes your itinerary by more than a couple hours. Did you call Delta?

I did. According with the "customer service" (she was not very kind) rep I spoke with last night, this was the only SEA to CVG option on the day I need to travel. She offered to book us on a Sunday flight, which would mean a night in a Seattle hotel. I wasn't opposed to that, but they would not cover the cost of the hotel.

I do plan on doing more research today, including looking at other airlines. I'm just exploring all of my options. Giving $1200 of my hard-earned money to Delta for the flight that worked best for us that day, only to have this happen, is not sitting very well with me right now, to say the least. I'm trying to be opened-minded and hope this all works out!

I filed an online complaint on their website today as well as a post on their FB page. I find results occur quickly when you post things on a public forum :)

I wasn't going to go into too much detail on this mess, but here you have it:

The flight on Delta I originally booked was a direct flight Saturday 6/21 SEA to CVG leaving at noon. I then received an email a few weeks later stating that my itinerary had been changed to SEA to Detroit to CVG, leaving slightly earlier but still do-able from the port to the airport. A minor inconvenience having to fly through DTW, but not worth balking about.

The original email I received last night then had our itinerary changed to a 6:00 A.M. flight leaving SEA to DTW to CVG. 6:00 A.M. Totally not do-able coming into the port of Seattle that morning.

So.....I called last night and now, according to Delta, the now-booked red eye, after all this, is the only flight they can get us on that day.

How an airline gets away with this with no apologies or offers of goodwill is beyond me, but again, I'm trying to be as open-minded about all of it as I can. I don't expect anything to come of it. Again, hopefully my last flight on Delta and their monopoly of airlines. (Unfortunately, I live in one of their hub cities, so options are few).

Dont feel to bad. last year on our flights to Seattle and out of Vancouver, on United we got 7 changes to our flight schedule before it was all said and done. It is the nature of the business if you book early. Airlines put out what they expect to be able to fly about 11 months out. However, the FAA does not approve those flights that soon. So they are guesses for the most part.

As for Seattle - It is a wonderful town and driving around is not hard. We have rented cars twice, pre & post cruise. The biggest problem you have is that you really need to get to the airport to rent the car so you can drop it off there when you are ready to fly out.

If you get a chance the Museum of Flight is exceptional.

Holland has a program (I'm 99% sure it works in Seattle too) - Luggage Direct. For $19 per person - you can have your bags taken straight off the cruise ship and checked directly in to your flight. When you pack your bags the last night - you won't see them again until your home airport. This is ideal for people in your situation. (The front desk also checks you into your flight and prints you boarding passes). I am also 99% sure Delta participates in this program. Do some searches on the boards here or look on HAL's site.

I agree that HAL's Luggage Direct program would work. I have used it from Seattle but not for Delta. I believe on the HAL board here someone posted a list of participating airlines and ports so since the search function is back you could probably locate it. Also, if you participate in a hotel loyalty program, you may be able to store your luggage at a downtown hotel for the day. We have done that through Marriott in several major city locations. We called in advance and asked the concierge and they were glad to do it.

I had your same flight but a week later. I called and got a flight from Delta at about 10:20 AM to SLC and then on to DTW arriving at 7:PM, You might want to check out that flight and then CVG.

SEA-SLC # 1857

SLC-DTW # 1809

I can't tell you about the flight to CVG but you should be able to find something even if you have to change lines and fly one of the smaller jets.

Good luck,

John

There is luggage storage at both piers. I think it's $5 per bag. Go to http://www.portseattle.org for details. The problem is that it closes at 3pm or 3:30pm and they're very prompt about it. Another problem is that your ship is at Pier 91 which is a few miles north of downtown so you'd be paying for a taxi back and forth. If there is a ship at pier 66 that day (check the schedule), you can store your luggage there which would save you from having to backtrack to 91 to collect your stuff.

It would be much easier and cheaper to get a rental car. They will collect you at the pier and take you to their office downtown. If you plan to stay downtown sightseeing, just leave your bags in the car all day and leave the car in the lot until you're ready to drive to the airport! Saves you on parking fees, luggage storage and transfer fees.

Another option .... take a cab from pier 91 to the airport for about $50, drop your luggage at Kens Storage, then ride the Light Rail back to town ( $3 for the 40 minute ride). Or if you can manage your luggage easily, take a cab from the pier to the Light Rail station at Westlake Center downtown ($15) and ride the rail to the airport, store your luggage then go back downtown.

I did. According with the "customer service" (she was not very kind) rep I spoke with last night, this was the only SEA to CVG option on the day I need to travel.

Do you have the number for customer service? My flights have also changed for our trip to Seattle at the end of June..

Ours changed and it really won't work....return flight Seattle to DTW arrive at DTW at 8:59pm. Our flight from DTW to GSP leaves at 7:50! So need to call and have it changed!

I didn't get an email, I was putting in our info on our cruise check in...it couldn't find our flight...so I went to look at our trip info on delta..

Can you give me the number for customer service at Delta? I can't find it...

Thanks

I did. According with the "customer service" (she was not very kind) rep I spoke with last night, this was the only SEA to CVG option on the day I need to travel.

Do you have the number for customer service? My flights have also changed for our trip to Seattle at the end of June..

Ours changed and it really won't work....return flight Seattle to DTW arrive at DTW at 8:59pm. Our flight from DTW to GSP leaves at 7:50! So need to call and have it changed!

I didn't get an email, I was putting in our info on our cruise check in...it couldn't find our flight...so I went to look at our trip info on delta..

Can you give me the number for customer service at Delta? I can't find it...

Thanks

Goodness! I guess I'm glad I at least got an email! I hope something works out for you! Phone # is 800-221-1212. Good luck!

Hello....I live in downtown Seattle about 1 mile from the Port. I too am cruising aboard the Westerdam on May 3. What is the date you will be in Seattle? You are more than welcome to store your luggage in my place for the day (or ever how long you need to). I live alone and I have plenty of room.

Just let me know if you don't find other options...I'm more than happy to help.

Goodness! I guess I'm glad I at least got an email! I hope something works out for you! Phone # is 800-221-1212. Good luck!

Thanks of the number...got everything changed and worked out...the customer service woman was very nice and helpful...sorry you had a bad one.....