Sapphire Mar 1-11, missed ship in PV

jamesnnb

We were on the Sapphire (Mar 1-11) and while in PV we noticed (at least) one couple that missed getting back on the ship while we were in Puerto Vallarta. They were paged several times, then we started our departure and saw them running but they were left behind. I wondered if anyone knew the reason they were late -- as I noticed the printed itinerary said departure was 5pm (but we left at 4pm) and PV was a hour ahead. We were, of course, thoroughly advised we would depart at 4pm and thoroughly advised PV was a hour different. I know the obvious answer is 'they just didn't make it back in time' and that is of course on them. But I wondered if anyone knew them or knew just what the reason was. They were on Baja deck.

We were on the Sapphire (Mar 1-11) and while in PV we noticed (at least) one couple that missed getting back on the ship while we were in Puerto Vallarta. They were paged several times, then we started our departure and saw them running but they were left behind. I wondered if anyone knew the reason they were late -- as I noticed the printed itinerary said departure was 5pm (but we left at 4pm) and PV was a hour ahead. We were, of course, thoroughly advised we would depart at 4pm and thoroughly advised PV was a hour different. I know the obvious answer is 'they just didn't make it back in time' and that is of course on them. But I wondered if anyone knew them or knew just what the reason was. They were on Baja deck.

Your own post was incomplete and confusing about the different times. Sounds to me like the people who missed the ship were just as confused.

No way to know for sure, but there are two major and one minor reason that cover the vast majority of missed boardings..

Major:

1 last shopping stop or 1 last drink

Traffic (accident, transit issue)

Minor:

Medical

An educated guess is that the Majors are 70 percent, minor 20 percent, all others, 10 percent.

Oh, it wasn't that confusing ... I was keeping it short as I was hoping someone that was on board actually knew them or actually knew the reason that they didn't make it back. If you look in the brochure for that actual cruise, it shows departure as 5pm. The newsletter delivered to the cabin the night before our arrival into PV said be back on board at 3:30 for a 4pm departure. Also, PV was an hour ahead and we were advised to stay on ship's time (not unusual). Also, the sign as you depart the ship gives all the times you need to know. We were thoroughly advised if you read what they provided. Less confusing now?

Yup. There were four people left behind in PV. Apparently, they arrived at the dock just as the ship was pulling away even though the ship sailed late, hoping they would show up. Someone said it looked like they were together or a family. Even if they were going by local time, they would have been cutting it very close.

The Captain was very clear in his announcements that once we set our watches forward, there would be no further time changes during the cruise. Yes, the original itinerary said we were sailing at 5pm but the Patter and announcements gave the correct departure time. All they had to do was look at their watches. If they used a smart phone to check the time, that could have caused a problem because it would have re-set automatically to local time once they turned it on.

As said, expensive mistake.

This Mexico itinerary with PV is the one and only I have ever been on that we did not make ship time match local time. That includes going across the international line, that was just crazy, LOL

On my recent cruise it was made very clear about what was going on with the time/clocks

From time to time, there are changes to the original itinerary. On 11 cruises, we lost an hour from one port on one cruise, and on another cruise, we gained an hour. That's why one needs to go by the Patter (I always bring it with me into port), double check your watch against ship's time, and plan to be back on the ship early, and not try to play "Beat the Clock."

The strangest was our New England/Canada cruise. Can't remember which port but local time was 30 minutes different! Very unusual!!

I agree with Pam (as usual) that you can get in trouble if you use your smart phone to check time when the ship and port aren't on the same time! Best bet is to use your watch and check the all aboard time when leaving the ship! After all, we hear about a few here and there who miss the ship but that means 99% don't seem to have a problem:D

The strangest was our New England/Canada cruise. Can't remember which port but local time was 30 minutes different! Very unusual!!

I agree with Pam (as usual) that you can get in trouble if you use your smart phone to check time when the ship and port aren't on the same time! Best bet is to use your watch and check the all aboard time when leaving the ship! After all, we hear about a few here and there who miss the ship but that means 99% don't seem to have a problem:D

What's this "watch" thing y'all keep talking about? ;)

The port is probably St. John's in Newfoundland/Labrador. They are 30 minutes ahead of Atlantic time which is the same time zone as most of the Caribbean.

We were in Curacao last month and watched the dock at sail away. We saw five people who just made the ship. They were running all the way and they guys on the dock were glad to see them!

Lucky for them they made it!

New foundland is 30 minutes off from everybody else.

Unless you don't have your passport or a passport card with you, or clothes. Then, it would be a big PITA getting back into the US.

The port agent will be given the passports and any medication that was left in the stateroom before the ship departs.

The agent is required to stay at the pier for at least an hour after departure.

Did you go to Newfoundland? They have a 30 minute different time zone

Ah, very interesting comments. Pam: That was a very good point about the smart-phone resetting itself to local time. I'm sure lots of people don't think about that. And the Port Agent being given the passport(s) and meds. I did not know that. There was a gentleman there at the port that these two went to and were talking with as we pulled out. Perhaps that was the Agent who assisted them with arrangements. If they lived the So. CA they could fly home (if able to get a flight) and then meet up with the ship once we docked in San Pedro. If they lived elsewhere, it certainly becomes a mess.

Yes. Security has a master key or code to open the safe. They will also check drawers, etc.

What if passport in locked in safe? Do they open to look for it in these circumstances. This situation certainly made me think!

We were on this cruise. There was a big sign stating passengers needed to be onboard at 15:30, crew at 15:00 and sail away at 16:00.

Since this was the last port of 5 there shouldn't have been a problem with the 24 hour clock.

The ship sailed away at 16:15.

PV was an hour ahead of ship's time. So even if their phones changed they should have been early.