Bangkok Airport & transportation

Lady Chew

We've been looking into transportation arrangements from the international airport to our hotel in Bangkok prior to our cruise. There is a car service desk in the airport. Does anyone have any experience using this one? Does it work the same way as here in the states, ie, you walk up to the desk & hire a car, without needing advance reservations?

Thanks!

Sorry, haven't used the car service but as mentioned with the taxi rank, you speak to the controller who will interpret your destination, write it on a slip, and you give it to the driver. Make sure they use the meter. Cost is about 200-300 baht plus 50 baht airport surcharge, and about an extra 170ish baht in tolls if you take the expressway.

........which I'd strongly recommend because of the traffic.

JB :)

I generally agree but for some reason, most of the flights from Vancouver end up arriving in the late evening (10pm+). Not sure how common that is for other flights to BKK from North America. I've read at that hour, we can probably skip the expressways. We're actually going again in a few weeks so I might have to test that theory. :)

I generally agree but for some reason, most of the flights from Vancouver end up arriving in the late evening (10pm+). Not sure how common that is for other flights to BKK from North America. I've read at that hour, we can probably skip the expressways. We're actually going again in a few weeks so I might have to test that theory. :)

Sorry, evenings are beyond my ken.

My airport experiences have only been daytime, but evenings in town the traffic has been very much lighter.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We've probably done this 20 times.

1-use the taxi dispatcher, and absolutely insist that the cabdriver use the meter.

2-spring for the extra six dollars for the expressway. In the grand scheme of things, that Extra sleep after a long flight is worth it!

3-difficult to estimate costs without knowing where in the city your hotel is. Bangkok is fairly huge. However, regardless of location, with the meter running your know that you'll get there without spending terribly much.

Enjoy put favorite city!

We don't have the experience yet but will be in Bangkok in a few weeks. Since we will be in transit for 24 hours and arrive just before midnight, we don't want to deal with a taxi. We booked a transfer service through Oriental Express - 900 baht which is more expensive, certainly, but $28 won't break the bank and we won't have to change money in the airport or hope that the taxi gets us to the correct hotel in the middle of the night.

We don't have the experience yet but will be in Bangkok in a few weeks. Since we will be in transit for 24 hours and arrive just before midnight, we don't want to deal with a taxi. We booked a transfer service through Oriental Express - 900 baht which is more expensive, certainly, but $28 won't break the bank and we won't have to change money in the airport or hope that the taxi gets us to the correct hotel in the middle of the night.

Thanks! ... That's what we're looking for, rather than a taxi. We're in the same situation, getting in just before midnight after flying 24 hrs or so ...

Mr Chew went on the airport website and it said there is a car service desk, as opposed to taxi, and that's what we're asking about, if anyone has experience with that ...