Nikon 800 and 610

Keith1010

The D800 & D610 are full frame cameras whereas the D7000 & D7100 are crop sensor cameras. They are all great cameras & have received very good reviews. The D7100 is the replacement to the D7000.

Full frame cameras tend to perform better in low light situations where you require higher ISO. Also, if you are going full frame, especially the two mentioned here, it is important to know that you will need very good lenses to make use of the cameras resolution & these lenses are quite expensive.

I currently own the D7000 & find it to be a great camera for my needs. I think it has good dynamic range. I'm planning to pick up a D7100 soon too.

If you can afford the D800 & the lenses required for full frame, you won't be disappointed. The D610 is also a good camera, a bit smaller & more affordable than the D800. Also, it is Nikon's response to the sensor splatter that the D600 suffers from.

If cost is a factor, I think the D7100 is a great option. It has also received very good reviews. Rumor has it that a replacement I set to be announced this year which will drive the price of the D7100 down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

D800 resolution king and not bad in low light either. Has the high end focus module but due to huge files frame rate will be slow.

D610 baby FX. IMHO the best balance of resolution, performance, and size. They seem to have fixed the oil on the shutter with the new model. But if you like a deal they D600 now comes with out of warranty gurantee for free cleaning and shutter replacement. I got it on my D600 and its been flawless. The shutter is really quiet and smooth compared to the D800. Has a step down in focus module, but I find it is almost as good as my D4 with the only drawback in focus speed, frame rate and tracking. The file size I think is perfect. Have no desire to get the more expensive D800 which is larger, heavier and with the much larger file size.

The only reason to go FX is you need that extra stop of low light and want to shoot super wide with the best quality lenses; 24 1.4, 14-24 2.8 or 16-35 F4. If you shoot no wider than 18mm on DX and don't feel the need to go wider or faster then no reason to make the leap to FX as you pay a lot for that premium as well as glass.

If you never shoot wider and or low light, never blow up larger than 16x20 then the D800 is over kill as are the D7100, but as with all things they are nicer than the older cameras.

I hope I have my models straight. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions of either one or. Oth of these models and how they compare to the Nikon D7000 or D7100.

Thank you,

Keith

Agree with both. I have both a D7000 and the D610. I have FX glass and they are $$$$. During my last cruise the D610 died (auto focus) and the D7000 did a super job with my DX and FX glass.

The key is always $$$ and what your intention as a photographer are. If you want a good overall camera, I would go for D7100 with a good prime and a telephoto zoom.

I hope I have my models straight. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions of either one or. Oth of these models and how they compare to the Nikon D7000 or D7100.

Thank you,

Keith

I have the E variant of the D800 and I love it. The IQ is amazing and it's nice in a pinch to be able to shoot 1080 video. The low light performance isn't quite as good as the D4/s but seems manageable up to 3200 iso. The biggest downside for me is that the raw files are ~50-80mb in size it doesn't play well with hard drives. The memory card capacity is rather odd - one CF and one SD.

I don't have a D7x00 to compare it against, just a D90. It's bigger, heavier and seems to get more shots per battery while producing images that blow away what the D90 is turning out.

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. As always they are very helpful and this continues to be an excellent board to get solid answers to questions about cameras and other related topics.

Thank you again.

Keith