A seemingly huge price discrepancy in adjacent verandah staterooms

ozcruizer

I've just been on the phone to our TA as we discovered prices had gone down by $400 on our booked cabin on the Noordam so asked her to see what she could do in the way of OBC etc. The advertised price now for the cheapest verandah cabin is for one category up from our guarantee cabin. So we've now been upgraded to a VA (yes, I know, no plexiglass balcony) from the VH. Still not sure whether it's a guarantee but it probably is. OK, no problems with any of that, but the going price for the VH is now $8000 according to the TA, I kid you not. I checked this on the HAL site the other day and found this to be the advertised price. The thing is, there are only four cabins in the VH category and they are right bang at the stern on deck 4 with smaller balconies. Is there buried gold in these cabins? :confused: It just does not make sense.

Can anyone please enlighten me as to what is going on?

Ozcruizer

I've just been on the phone to our TA as we discovered prices had gone down by $400 on our booked cabin on the Noordam so asked her to see what she could do in the way of OBC etc. The advertised price now for the cheapest verandah cabin is for one category up from our guarantee cabin. So we've now been upgraded to a VA (yes, I know, no plexiglass balcony) from the VH. Still not sure whether it's a guarantee but it probably is. OK, no problems with any of that, but the going price for the VH is now $8000 according to the TA, I kid you not. I checked this on the HAL site the other day and found this to be the advertised price. The thing is, there are only four cabins in the VH category and they are right bang at the stern on deck 4 with smaller balconies. Is there buried gold in these cabins? :confused: It just does not make sense.

Ozcruizer

Having done many HAL cruises, I'm always in as much of a quandary as you on their pricing. It never makes sense to me...

Ozcruizer

I am a little confused by your cabin designations. I think all the VA cabins have a plexiglass railing, but I could be wrong. And the VH cabins are usually kept at the higher price until sometimes after final payment. As Ruth said this allows them to fill the category if needed.

Edited by OVgirl

I am a little confused by your cabin designations. I think all the VA cabins have a plexiglass railing, but I could be wrong. And the VH cabins are usually kept at the higher price until sometimes after final payment. As Ruth said this allows them to fill the category if needed.

You have every right to be confused because I gave the wrong category! My apologies :o. It's the VF cabins that don't have plexiglass and I was thinking (without checking of course) they were VAs.

However, things have really looked up this morning because we've been upgraded to a VA, although going by the cabin number, I think it's a VB. My TA rang HAL in Sydney and she was fortunate enough to get someone who was prepared to go the extra yard and give us a great upgrade for our VH guarantee. How good is that?

Ozcruizer

Ozcruizer

I understand your question and the answer is very simple: the ship devides cabins in main categories and gain in sub categories. Each sub cat. will receive a fictitious price, and slowly will reduce rates to drive sales. The trick is that HAL will monitor which categorie will sell well, as these will not receive a price decrease as otherwise tHAL will need to reimburse all booked cabins.

We booked last year on purpose a VH guarentee as we know that HAL will overbook the categorie and will 'upgrade' them to better verandahs. Than on top we received an upgrade offer, which we took and in the end we had a better deal.

it is a little gamble to take but please remember Always to book the catergorie you are happy with.

However, things have really looked up this morning because we've been upgraded to a VA, although going by the cabin number, I think it's a VB.

Ozcruizer

There are still two cruise floor plans out there, as they are changing the designations of some cabins around May. Make sure you are looking at the deck plan for the right date of your cruise.

I always book a guaranty at the lowest price (in a category that I know that I will be happy with. I believe that most all Verandah cabins are quite similar, except for the handicapped ones. A very few are larger, but these are often booked by people in the know, alas not me. Booking a guaranty means that I could get a slightly smaller outdoor area or a cabin with an adjoining interior door (like a hotel). I have never been disappointed and believe that I have saved some $. Happy cruising.:)

There are still two cruise floor plans out there, as they are changing the designations of some cabins around May. Make sure you are looking at the deck plan for the right date of your cruise.

Yes, I finally noticed that! It is definitely a VA cabin on Deck 6 so we're very happy with that. We booked a guarantee this time (actually had no choice) in the lowest verandah room category. The way I saw it was if we got that then we couldn't complain but if we got better, then great! Very happily, that's what has happened. :D

Ozcruizer