Reviews Versus Numbers

After being a frequent visitor this site for over 4 years now I have noticed one thing. That the number of reviews and comments veruses the actually numbers of people who cruise in a year are about .005 percent. Just saying that of the 156000 people who cruies on say One ship there are only about 900 total reviews. So I would say to take any thing one reads with a grain of salt. And remember everyone has an opinion and you need to keep an open mind and not take for what one says that you migh not like something. You can not please everyone for sure. I go to Hotels Resorts and wether it is here or Trip Advisor or some other Review site there are Lots of sides to every story. I know you can not please everyone and some people get all afraid if they read a few bad things that there cruise or stay somewhere will be ruined. The Eye of the Beholder varies from one to onother. Some Like Pie and Some like cake. So just do not let any one person idea ruin your Vacation. Go and see if you like it. If you do not then go to another Line and Well you may find you like it or maybe you are a Land Person. I for one Love Cruising and even the worst week on a Ship is better then One week at Work. For What it is worth My two cents worth. :)

I did a lengthy review on here in the review section after my November trip, pressed enter to submit, the page went funny and it disappeared. I was just not going to waste that much time again to only have it drop off into the void, so I gave up. So I would also think there are a lot of reviews that have dropped off due to the technical issues that seem to be intermittently bugging so many sites. I do agree that if you just read reviews you would never want to leave the house, and if someone opened your house and it got reviewed you would probably never get out of bed.

It is good to read between the lines and head warnings, but I have looked at reviews also for electrical products, and if all the fridges and washing machines sold were that bad I would be very surprised. It does put you off a bit sometimes though. Things do go wrong, and it is nice to get warnings and advice on what to look out for, but one of the best things I like about sites like this are the good tips and info we have learnt. We know a lot more on how to research for things, and have tried activities that we may not have if we didn't see pictures on here, and one day I might even be able to pack lighter! :)

Edited by goodycruising

I did a lengthy review on here in the review section after my November trip, pressed enter to submit, the page went funny and it disappeared. I was just not going to waste that much time again to only have it drop off into the void, so I gave up. So I would also think there are a lot of reviews that have dropped off due to the technical issues that seem to be intermittently bugging so many sites. I do agree that if you just read reviews you would never want to leave the house, and if someone opened your house and it got reviewed you would probably never get out of bed.

It is good to read between the lines and head warnings, but I have looked at reviews also for electrical products, and if all the fridges and washing machines sold were that bad I would be very surprised. It does put you off a bit sometimes though. Things do go wrong, and it is nice to get warnings and advice on what to look out for, but one of the best things I like about sites like this are the good tips and info we have learnt. We know a lot more on how to research for things, and have tried activities that we may not have if we didn't see pictures on here, and one day I might even be able to pack lighter! :)

Always type it in a word document (or whatever software you use), save it on your computer and then copy and paste into the system. That way if it loses it, you still have it. I've never written a review, but that's just not me. Not everyone writes or likes to. I've also found that most reviews are so subjective, that they're really no help. If you look closely, every ship has 1 - 5 stars based on personalities, and other non-objective reasons. I get a lot more info from short posts here from people about a ship, port, etc.

I agree with the above suggestion re doing your review or any other lengthy submission on a word document program that can be saved as it is really easy to copy and paste this than re-typing it completely. I had something funny happen to the recent review I did and submitted. I never got the submission email so I simply redid it by again copying my word document and redoing the submission and I got the submission email with the second submission.;)

After being a frequent visitor this site for over 4 years now I have noticed one thing. That the number of reviews and comments veruses the actually numbers of people who cruise in a year are about .005 percent. Just saying that of the 156000 people who cruies on say One ship there are only about 900 total reviews.

Not everyone that cruises is a member of Cruise Critic.:)

When I read reviews these days I'm mostly looking for new ideas as opposed to an actual critique of the ship. I like to see what others have done on and off the ship. My rule of thumb is take the extremes with a grain of salt whether they be good or bad.

I find that the majority of the reviews are fair and balanced (I sound like Fox News) and I appreciate the efforts of all who compose and post them.

Granted some reviews may be extremely over the top (good and bad), but even these provide information. The reader should not get stressed with the 1 review out of 10 that is overtly negative. If 4 or more out of 10 reviews are negative, there may be something there.

I like the informative reviews. Like bring long pants if you want to use the ice skating rink. Or here are the secret places on the ship. Or information on the honey stung chicken. Or information about the ports and tours.

The subjective stuff is sometimes interesting. People complain about the craziest stuff.

What I find more irritating is the people who post something just to post and aren't really adding any value. Just to agree with another poster is generally wasting my time. Or just to disagree is also wasting my time. Or starting an argument! I don't post very often because someone else usually has already posted a similar comment.

I only post reviews if I can add something to make the next person's vacation better. Like not forgetting the long pants if you want to use the ice skating rink.

We normally ignore the parts about food in the MDR. We've never had service that's unacceptable and time is not an issue for us as we plan dinner as part of our evening activities.

The food on the ship is way beyond what I do/can cook, my favorite parts of the menus are the apps, salads and desserts :D.

I don't have to cook it, serve it, clear the table or wash the dishes ... I'm a happy woman !! :D

Not everyone that cruises is a member of Cruise Critic.:)

I believe I heard it is somewhere around 5% of cruisers are also a member of cruise critic - which tracks given I think CC recently announced reaching 1 million members and there are a reported 20 million global annual cruisers.

Which also means the vast majority - 95% - of all cruisers are not affiliated with CC.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I find that the majority of the reviews are fair and balanced (I sound like Fox News) and I appreciate the efforts of all who compose and post them.

Granted some reviews may be extremely over the top (good and bad), but even these provide information. The reader should not get stressed with the 1 review out of 10 that is overtly negative. If 4 or more out of 10 reviews are negative, there may be something there.

To your point, IMO nothing is ever so perfect or so terrible on a cruise - I basically ignore anything with those extremes as the reality is likely somewhere in between. But if you do hear unconnected but repeat comments specific to a particular concern it may be worth taking note.

I enjoy reading the reviews. Being new to cruising, I read them specifically for cabin and port reviews and to gain knowledge of things I may not be aware of. I skip over the boarding and food criticisms.

So few cruisers do a review that I take the negative ones with a grain of salt. At the moment, the Voyager is getting a series of very negative reviews but I am still booked for the end of the year. I hoping the re-fit will address many of the issues before we cruise.