Debarkation at Citavecchia

DeckLife

I asked about this in the Holland America forums, and was urged to come here for more input. We will be staying overnight in Rome after our upcoming HAL Noordam cruise. The hotel is asking what time we want to be picked up at Citavecchia port. I need some insight about what happens in port after leaving the ship and how long it takes to be ready for a transfer. The only end-of-cruise debarkation I've done has been in U.S. How does the Italian port compare? Will we be able to find our luggage fairly quickly? Is the customs process lengthy? Will there be a long walk to a pickup point or can we be collected near the luggage/customs area? Any suggestions as to how much time to allow are greatly appreciated, as are general insights.

There is little "process" at Civitavecchia. Once you are able to get off the ship, you should be able to locate your luggage quickly and be on your way.

Most privately arranged transport vehicles are allowed to meet their parties very close to the luggage pickup, but you might want to confirm that with your hotel (if they are arranging it).

Whatever time you think you will be able to get off the ship is the time I'd ask your transport to be there. If you're anxious to get an early start into Rome, you could also do the self-disembarkation where you carry your own luggage off the ship in order to be one of the first ones off.

I appreciate your advice! We dock at 7 a.m. I have no idea how long it will take to get off the ship, though. Since our cruise is 22 days, I'm afraid our luggage will be too much for us to cart off ourselves, even though we do plan laundry use on board.:)

I appreciate your advice! We dock at 7 a.m. I have no idea how long it will take to get off the ship, though. Since our cruise is 22 days, I'm afraid our luggage will be too much for us to cart off ourselves, even though we do plan laundry use on board.:)

Given a 7 am arrival, you could tell them to be there at 9:00 (or 9:30 if you want to be leisurely) unless you are in a rush to get into Rome.

When you get your disembarkation tickets, take a look at them. If the stated time frame would make you late for your transport, you can go to the desk and ask them to exchange these for an earlier time -- they will usually oblige. If not, your transport will wait.

Civitavecchia is the fastest, most efficient port EVER! We leisurely exited the ship and the way they have it set up, we immediately spotted our luggage. In fact, we ended up calling our driver to ask if there was a possibility he could pick us up earlier. Smoothest out of 16 cruises!