Help with hair products

sollan

Hi

I have very fine hair and are having problems with my hair due to wind and the clorine in the water onboard.

My hair dries out, the colour fades and are after a couple of days in a horrible state. I use hat to protect my hair as much as possible but the water onboard really kills it. I use conditioner every day onboard but it doesn't work that well...

This time I won't take any shampoo/conditioner/hairspray with me (try to keep down the weight).

But I need your advices on what brand to by when I arrive to US as I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks in advance!

It's hard to make a recommendation. What brand do you use now? Is it from a specialty cosmetic store or a drug/grocery store?

I usually take my hair products in small 3oz travel bottles and put in my carry on. I buy travel size hairspray or take a small bottle of non aerosol. I have found that using a penetrating oil every other day does help.

Mary Lou

Are you talking about the chlorine in the pools or in the showers? Waiting for my first cruise myself, so I'm not sure what to expect.

There are shampoos and conditioners designed for swimmers, to help remove the chlorine and protect your hair. Just head to Wal-Mart or a well-stocked drugstore when you arrive and look for products that say they're for swimmers.

There are a few things you can try. Avoid using shampoo every day, just rinse through your hair. I don't use a lot of conditioner on cruises, I find the soft water makes my fine hair too soft. A leave in conditioner is always good.

Wet your hair with clear water prior to the ocean and especially the pool. Your hair will not absorb as much water from these sources if already wet. I slather on conditioner onto my wet hair and sunscreen into my scalp while in the sun.

I won't recommend brands as I can't see or feel your hair. Read labels and match up to your hair type when you shop.

Edit to add, personally I avoid getting my hair into chlorinated water as I find it very damaging. If I do get chlorine in my hair I rinse as soon as possible with clear water.

Edited by Happy ks

Normally I use special hair products from my hair dresser. Will get some advice from her and try to find the same or similar produkts when I arrive.

I think the shower water is quite chlorinated onboard and the special products for swimmers maybe won't work?

Thanks for all tips!

If you wind up at a drug store like CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid they should have a good selection. If you're going thru Fort Lauderdale, try Publix.

All of these stores should have John Freida, which is quite a good brand. There are different variations for coloured hair, curly hair, fine hair, etc. I am blonde & use Sheer Blonde. My hairdresser says my hair is always in great shape. You can buy 'clarifying' shampoo (Neutrogena or other brands) that will help with chlorine and product buildup. But you probably won't want to use that every shampoo.

My hairdresser says to put the shampoo in the scalp only - don't work it through the length of hair because it dries out the hair. I always use a conditioner - even if I have just rinsed my hair and not shampooed.

You may want to buy a small trial bottle of Morroccan oil; it really helps to keep hair smooth & shiny. You can usually buy sample sizes in drug stores.

You may want to buy a small trial bottle of Morroccan oil; it really helps to keep hair smooth & shiny. You can usually buy sample sizes in drug stores.

I decant my Argan oil into an empty eyedrop bottle. Doesn't leak and easier to control. Had a bad experience with a puny bottle of it leaking thru a double ziplock bag.

I decant my Argan oil into an empty eyedrop bottle. Doesn't leak and easier to control. Had a bad experience with a puny bottle of it leaking thru a double ziplock bag.

I also always take my Argon oil along, have to have that with me.

Cori

I agree to head to these stores CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid to purchase affordable hair products. These stores carry a very large variety of brands, some more expensive than others. The product line that I use and swear by...my hair is thin, curly, and color-treated, is Garnier. They have a huge choice of products for all kinds of styling and types of hair. The most important thing is that, besides from working very well and being suggested by magazines from Glamour to In Style...they're very inexpensive!:D

• 7 months later...

I also stay away from shampoo and conditioners that have sulfate. I recently took the Loreal sulfate free color care shampoo and conditioner on a cruise (22 days), and was very happy with it. They have a few different formulas. It is also inexpensive, and can be bought at drugstores.

I also take a small container of Argan Oil.

I think the shower water is quite chlorinated onboard and the special products for swimmers maybe won't work?

If the shower water was chlorinated I'd notice it since my skin would peel and get irritated from it. The water in the shower should be the same as what comes out of the sink and is of drinking quality.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk