Us Canada cruise in October

I found a cruise leaving from Boston going to Maine,Canada & Nova Scotia in October and have a few questions for those of you who may have already taken the trip.

First, what was the weather like?. I've read it can be anywhere between 30-70 degrees depending on if its day or night, windy or not, etc.

Second, is it worth the extra money for the balcony? Even though we usually do a balcony my first thought was to downgrade to an oceanview because it may be too chilly for my. My next thought was the scenery may be outstanding and we would get a lot of use from having a balcony.

Please let me know what your experiences were and if you were happy with whatever type of room you chose.

Thanks in advance for you input

This was our honeymoon cruise ten years ago, but we went in july. The balcony is a must, in october, all the leaves are at peak of color change, it is magnificent to watch, and land is very often in view on this itinerary.

As to weather, its is really hit or miss in new england in october. You can luck out with an indian summer of mid 70's, or an early winter. After a liftime licing in ny, I would bet on an indian summer this year. Why? Because this current winter is so harsh. Not very factual, just from my experince.

Enjoy my favorite cruise for me! We really wanted to join you, but cant take the kids out of school to early in the year while they are adjuating to new teacher/grade.

Thanks for your replies..

I actually live just north of Boston, so i'm well aware of how the weather can change in the blink of an eye:eek:..

I had a feeling we would be better with the balcony but guess I just wanted to hear it from someone who's already seen it ..

Thanks for your replies..

I actually live just north of Boston, so i'm well aware of how the weather can change in the blink of an eye:eek:..

I had a feeling we would be better with the balcony but guess I just wanted to hear it from someone who's already seen it ..

We did this cruise on the Jewel out of Boston in October 2010, we used our balcony more on this cruise than we have on our Caribbean cruises. I also am just north of Boston so we are used to the weather but we had really mild weather for almost the whole cruise. My DH was in shorts in all ports. We had thrown a little fleece blanket into our suitcase since we had driven to the port and loved sitting out on the balcony, gazing at the stars with a glass of wine. We saw some foliage but there were more evergreens along the coast than anything.

We are actually looking to go again this year since the Brilliance has been revitalized and offers a lot more than the Jewel did.

First, what was the weather like?. I've read it can be anywhere between 30-70 degrees depending on if its day or night, windy or not, etc.

Second, is it worth the extra money for the balcony? Even though we usually do a balcony my first thought was to downgrade to an oceanview because it may be too chilly for my. My next thought was the scenery may be outstanding and we would get a lot of use from having a balcony.

Please let me know what your experiences were and if you were happy with whatever type of room you chose.

We just did this cruise back last October 13th. As others have said, the weather was variable. Shorts in Portland and Bar Harbor (beautiful blue skies). Jeans and jackets for Nova Scotia (overcast and a little drizzly).

We chose not to go with the balcony and I feel it was a smart decision. For the majority of the trip, the ship was far out in the shipping lanes. Land was sometimes visible but it was far away. We just made a point of being on deck when entering and leaving ports.

As a caveat, we did have a balcony for our Alaskan cruise and it was definitely worth it due to the fact that the ship was sailing very close to land the entire time.

Edited by comxkid

I found a cruise leaving from Boston going to Maine,Canada & Nova Scotia in October and have a few questions for those of you who may have already taken the trip.

We did the 10/5 sailing of the Celebrity Summit last year. The cruise was 10/5 to 10/19. Fall colors hardly existed. The weather was quite nice last year, but that's why the fall colors hadn't really come out yet (they need the first frost). We used our verandah but sparingly honestly. It was quite windy on several of our sea days, though not cold really, just windy.

We had rain in Quebec, but overall had decent weather. Of course, each year will bring different results.

It was a nice cruise overall. I did kinda miss being on a "warm weather" cruise, in some aspects, but it was nice to drive to port (NJ), get on a ship, and have no luggage weight worries or flight discomfort.

The balcony is a must, in october, all the leaves are at peak of color change, it is magnificent to watch, and land is very often in view on this itinerary. Agree - we sailed late Oct and it was glorious the year we went.

As to weather, its is really hit or miss in new england in october. You can luck out with an indian summer of mid 70's, or an early winter. After a liftime licing in ny, I would bet on an indian summer this year. Bring layers

One of our best cruises ever :):)

We, also, did this cruise last October. Yes, the weather is unpredictable. We dressed in layers (the top one being a windbreaker-raincoat) and were equipped with small umbrellas. Some days were absolutely beautiful and others misty/rainy. We did have a balcony and really liked the opportunity to be outside on the beautiful days. Either way, you won't go wrong!