How "clean" is the food?

Cruising4

What??? LOL High Fructose Corn Syrup is poison that causes dementia, heart disease, obesity, liver failure, tooth decay, and more. Natural Flavoring is often a chemical made to taste like something - in this case, a tomato, and is often genetically modified and loaded with pesticides.

LOL you wear a tin foil hat a lot don't you? High fructose corn syrup is just CORN. You are not reading the word NATURAL in the flavorings thing. If you think those two things are bad you must NEVER eat at all.

BTW ANY form of sugar CAN cause tooth decay. Fructose being sugar in case you didn't know.

You would have never known it if you saw what I ate on my cruise last month (oops) but I am very dedicated about clean foods. I buy organic everything and my rule of thumb when out, is to think about the "dirty dozen" which is the produce that carries that most pesticides. Tomatoes are one of them so that, along with the high fructose corn syrup and natural flavors, rules out ketchup for me. At home, ketchup is another organic that I buy and its very good.

One thing that I want to make mention of is that the "all natural" handle is essentially meaningless. Its an advertising slogan, not much more.

LOL you wear a tin foil hat a lot don't you? High fructose corn syrup is just CORN. You are not reading the word NATURAL in the flavorings thing. If you think those two things are bad you must NEVER eat at all.

BTW ANY form of sugar CAN cause tooth decay. Fructose being sugar in case you didn't know.

Yes, I wear a pointy tin hat and talk to aliens at night. :rolleyes: You better do a little more research LOL Edited - wheat and grains cause more tooth decay than fructose ever will.

Edited by SissasMomE

You would have never known it if you saw what I ate on my cruise last month (oops) but I am very dedicated about clean foods. I buy organic everything and my rule of thumb when out, is to think about the "dirty dozen" which is the produce that carries that most pesticides. Tomatoes are one of them so that, along with the high fructose corn syrup and natural flavors, rules out ketchup for me. At home, ketchup is another organic that I buy and its very good.

One thing that I want to make mention of is that the "all natural" handle is essentially meaningless. Its an advertising slogan, not much more.

100% correct. and yeah, it's really hard to eat like that while on vacation ... but it is vacation :D

Whoo boy, its time for me to bail on this thread, don't want to get hit in the crossfire between the Fruit Loops and the Granola. As the photos show, it is generally Sysco standard. No, they don't make their own tomato sauce, so there are ingredients that many find objectionable in things like that. Yes, there are Fruit Loops and Malt-o-Meal, but that is because that is what the majority want. As I've said, there are healthier choices and less healthy choices, depending on what you want. The boxes of buns is something I forgot about, generally hotdog and burger buns are purchased from local suppliers, the effort and machinery required just is not cost effective.

Ahh not to worry, I ate Fruit Loops (not really, but the equivalent) like it was my job for 9 days in February. Still sporting around the pounds to prove it :) but I do prefer to eat clean when possible. And being a chef, the subject interests me. Its food!

Che, what is KD?

Everything in moderation folks, everything in moderation. Try to eat healthy, take some time to exercise and if you just happen to slip and fall face first in to a plate of nacho's smothered in some gooey melted cheez whiz at O'Sheehans it isn't going to kill you.

Enjoy.

Yes, I am serious! I thought the OP meant Kraft Mac & Cheese?

Yup

it's Actually called "K"raft "D"inner in Canada and referred to as KD. I thought it was the same in the U.S. Guess I was wrong.

Unfortunately, the term "natural flavoring" (and actually the term "spices" too) means nothing, and is one of the most misleading terms in food labeling. Pretty much anything permitted in food can be labeled as "natural flavor" - ie MSG, Disodium guanylate, Disodium Isonate, ribonucleotides, etc, as long as at some point some part of it started as a natural source. All of these products can be dangerous to a significant percentage of the population, and really need to be more clearly labeled. It's like a product labeled "No MSG" that has Yeast Extract in it - which absolutely contains quite a bit of MSG. With my allergy issues, i consider the term "natural flavor" is a big red flag - meaning the company is unwilling to list the ingredients individually for fear of turning people off. For example, if you have a serious fish allergy, Disodium Guanylate could kill you - it is usually made from dried fish or seaweed. At the very least it can cause an asthma attack and a high jump in heart rate. I'm allergic to neither fish nor most seaweeds, but I sometimes react to this ingredient because of the way it can be processed (from fungal sources, mold). You wouldn't suspect fish or mold to be in ketchup, especially if it's not listed on the label, right?

The other ingredients, in general, are much more clear in the labeling and are more similar to the Canadian label than you would suspect. Yeah, a little HFCS won't really hurt anyone unless they have a specific allergy to corn (although it also contains MSG in very small amounts), but large amounts of it are not great (but then nobody should be eating high amounts of anything loaded with any kind of sugar). It's that darn "Natural Flavoring" that is so very dangerous...

BTW, I had NO food allergies until my late 40's, but have been hospitalized from them four times now in the last three years. My allergist has been seeing tons of new cases like mine in the last 15 years. It's odd how these allergies can develop (and sometimes disappear) throughout life, maybe finally reacting to slow buildup over so many years?

Robin

Everything in moderation folks, everything in moderation. Try to eat healthy, take some time to exercise and if you just happen to slip and fall face first in to a plate of nacho's smothered in some gooey melted cheez whiz at O'Sheehans it isn't going to kill you.

Enjoy.

No, but the 24 oz Porterhouse just might:p

I want to hang with this dude who sneaks into secret areas of the ship!! ;)

It's pretty much been proven that whole foods are the best. I try to eat whole as often as I can, but I'm not as dedicated as I could be.

On a cruise though, it's no holds barred for me! I'll eat everything. A few unhealthy meals isn't going to ruin my health any more than a week of salads will save me. It takes more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's pretty much been proven that whole foods are the best. I try to eat whole as often as I can, but I'm not as dedicated as I could be.

On a cruise though, it's no holds barred for me! I'll eat everything. A few unhealthy meals isn't going to ruin my health any more than a week of salads will save me. It takes more than that.

I rely on the alcohol to 'balance' my diet. The slice of lemon in my G&T counts towards my '5 a day' and the quinine keeps the malaria at bay - win-win!

Agreed. Vacation is vacation!!

As far as mis-labeling goes, you can be served a dish that is 100% fat and it can be legally labeled 'fat free'. It is all related to serving size, so that if the dish you are eating is below the 'serving size' (which can be whatever the person establishing serving size wants to set it at) then it can be all fat and still be fat free.

Clean food has nothing to do with a clean kitchen, though there is no doubt the ships kitchen is a lot cleaner than my kitchen!

Never heard it called KD! So can I go to Canada and have some HP on my KD? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

High fructose corn syrup is corn in the same way that opium is poppy juice.

The word "natural" means *nothing* in terms of it being good for you. Remember, arsenic is perfectly *natural*.

I wish allergies worked like that. You can't go around ignoring them, if you have certain types of reactions. I'd love to go nuts and eat, well, NUTS... but that is quite likely to be fatal.

I also don't tell the cruise line about my allergies. Whenever I do, they go completely paranoid and take out everything that makes the food taste good, not merely the items I told them I was allergic to.

Well it depends on who notices. Are the vegetables GMOs? Yes. Are GMOs bad for you? No. I would imagine they purchase from a large food supplier, I strongly doubt they source themselves. That being said there are different qualities of meat you can order from Sysco. Normally they sell different quality of beef. I would assume they serve more expensive higher quality beef in places people notice. For example a steak house, where the average person compares their onboard experience directly to national high-end chains. When your in the MDRs I usually compare it to the strip club near my house with "good food", in that you get choice filet mignon beef for $9.99. Probably have the same idea of cost... food for thought. They just present it better.

Edited by coold8