Museum in Victoria

Any thoughts of the museum in Victoria since we will be there from 8am-6pm. Has anyone been there?

We have visited the Royal British Columbia Museum on many occasions and can confidently recommend as one of the finest museums we have visited in North America. With the time you have in Victoria it is well worth a visit.

The Royal BC museum is well worth a visit - just check their website for your dates in case they have large-scale special exhibit on (e.g. the Vikings one coming up mid-May through November). During these events all the tickets include entry to the exhibit for a c. $8 extra fee) - if you've seen it already, aren't interested in the subject matter, or only want to see the regular collections to save time or money be sure to specifically ask for a regular admission only.

Even if they don't list the regular admission as an option, they can sell it to you on-site - you just can't buy it online in advance. We did this during a big Egyptian themed event we'd already seen in Toronto and had no desire to see again - we simply asked if we could get admission to the permanent collections only and they rang us up.

We were living in Vancouver at the time and I decided to take the ferry over and take my kids to the museum. My son was around 6 and my daughter 10ish. We were on the ferry talking and I told my son that he was going to see "a real live wooly mammoth". My son looks at me and said, "mom, don't be ridiculous. If it was alive it wouldn't be stuffed". A man passing by stopped me and asked me why I would let my child talk so rudely to me. I looked at him and told him, well, he's right isn't he? He can't a live AND stuffed. I always chuckle when I think about it. Worth the cost of admission just in the one exhibit.

I grew up in Victoria and this incredible museum used to be free! I know! :p

I miss the giant indoor waterfall. Even after they started charging, there was a one day a week free policy, but not sure when that was discontinued.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
it is an easy walk, but its 20-30 minutes each way. the cruise will have a shuttle taking you to the inner harbour area. the legislature, Fairmont empress and rbc museum all on that one corner. enjoy!

Is that the $10 or $11 shuttle I was reading about somewhere??

What is the best way to get there from the pier?

Thanks. Marcia

1) Walk (about 20 minutes)

2) local bus (#31) about 5 minutes, $2.50

3) taxi (well under $10)

4) cruise shuttle $10 /return each

(yes, the cruise shuttle will likely be more than a taxi for getting to the museum)