We need a really good lie!!

LCTXcruiser

When we surprised our kids for Disney, we stayed at an airport hotel in memphis the night before- we told the kids daddy would be working from there for a conference and we would have to get up super early to drive them back to school the next morning. So they were dragging, grumpy and in tears when we told them we were getting on a plane for Disney world! We videotaped the big reveal! It was awesome! Good luck! :D

Might freak him out a bit, but.........

Have a family member call you before you need to leave. Do some acting on the phone, Like, "What...........when?" Do it all in front of him and act like you don't see him paying attention at first. Then, glance at him quickly and turn and go into your bedroom and shut the door. Talk loudly and rushed, but not so he can understand really. Make lots of noise, banging. Then run out and go into his room and grab stuff from his room while still on the phone. Then go in the bathroom, grab stuff..........go back in your room, shut the door.

When you come out, you come out with all of the suitcases (you have already packed and had hidden in your room). Don't saying anything to him. You and your husband just pack the car up in silence and rushed. Tell him to get in the care. No reason, no explanation. If he asked what is going on, "Just look at each other concerned and ignore him."

Maybe get another phone call and talk low and in code. If he ask questions, turn the radio up. lol

Okay, this is like way Jack Bower and might be to scary. But it would be a TOTAL surprise to be going on a cruise after all that weirdness.

Besides, he will scare you plenty when he is 16, you gotta get these in early.

Tell him you're going shopping at some outlet malls and you plan on buying a lot of stuff. If he is anything like my boys, he will be utterly miserable the whole ride :D

And make sure your DH moans and complains the whole time too about having to spend the day shopping!

Edited by firemanbobswife

As horrible and cruel as that suggestion was, I couldn't help but to laugh out loud. :o

I was going to suggest something that the kids would not be looking forward to (like needing to go to a doctors appointment in Galveston).

....or you're taking him to a Justin Bieber concert in Galveston!:eek:

Tell them mom and dad can no longer take care of them and you are dropping them off at a foster home.

That should make for an entertaining ride.

LOL....my youngest would be so mad the whole ride!

ROTFL...are you suggesting your older kids WOULDN'T be upset at the thought of going into foster care?? :D

Tell him you're going shopping at some outlet malls and you plan on buying a lot of stuff. If he is anything like my boys, he will be utterly miserable the whole ride :D

HaHa, this is also VERY funny and not quite as diabolical as the foster care punk!:p

How about telling him that some childhood friends of yours are going to be in Galveston and you are meeting them for the day? When you get closer to the port you can tell him you are picking them up from their ship...then, "oh no, where are they, we'd better go on the ship and look for them!"

Or there's the foster care plan! Evil, but funny.

We have done the same with a Disney trip. Now every time we get them all in the car and say we are running some errands they look in the back for luggage. Have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

appointments? LOL. my friends did this and they pulled all the way up to the port. the kids were excited to see the ships...(they were just having a family day together) mom pointed them out and said do you want to eat lunch on the ship? the kids said "can we do that??" mom and dad said "absolutely because we are going ON a cruise!" kids flipped out. LOL have fun!

Good one!!!:D

might freak him out a bit, but.........

Have a family member call you before you need to leave. Do some acting on the phone, like, "what...........when?" do it all in front of him and act like you don't see him paying attention at first. Then, glance at him quickly and turn and go into your bedroom and shut the door. Talk loudly and rushed, but not so he can understand really. Make lots of noise, banging. Then run out and go into his room and grab stuff from his room while still on the phone. Then go in the bathroom, grab stuff..........go back in your room, shut the door.

When you come out, you come out with all of the suitcases (you have already packed and had hidden in your room). Don't saying anything to him. You and your husband just pack the car up in silence and rushed. Tell him to get in the care. No reason, no explanation. If he asked what is going on, "just look at each other concerned and ignore him."

maybe get another phone call and talk low and in code. If he ask questions, turn the radio up. Lol

okay, this is like way jack bower and might be to scary. But it would be a total surprise to be going on a cruise after all that weirdness.

Besides, he will scare you plenty when he is 16, you gotta get these in early.

rotflol!!!

I would not advocate for telling them things that might freak them out, depress them, upset them, scare them, or otherwise create a distrust situation in the future. Some children just cannot let that go later on and they do not have the coping skills to manage their immediate response. In this day and age, children are not oblivious to what happens in the world. They look to their parents for stability and honesty.

That said, I like the idea of saying we have an exciting surprise in store. And then saying nothing else. I would reassure my child that the surprise is something they will love, and that it is a good thing. I would reinforce the positive aspect. Perhaps grandma or another relative can call during trip down and reinforce the idea this is a positive surprise.

you could also create clues to give them during the trip to help build anticipation and reduce the uncertainty.

I did the same thing to my son in October of last year. I was lucky since my folks were going with me. I told him we had to drive your grandparents to the port since they can not make the drive anymore. He was okay with it but sad at the same time cause he did not think he was going.

Well when we drove to the port my parents got out and said their good-byes. I said oh no I have your grandmother's wallet in my hands we need to go catch up to them. They were already up at the counter and I told my son to give the lady his passport cause we are joining them on the cruise. I think that was the best gift I ever gave him.

Edited by nicole2380

Pack the suitcases and car without him knowing. Then tell him that you were able to get one day "tour" tickets of the ship but that the tickets can only be used on this one date. Bet he will enjoy playing hooky for that school day!