Off to the Fjords

rubydoobydoo

Well I finally booked 8 nights to the Fjords May 2nd

I have been thinking about it for a while and after such encouraging comments on here about how wonderful it is I did it

Only thing is I have 'jumped' ship and will be on Celebrity Eclipse, It is no secret that although I have enjoyed my P and P cruises Celebrity is my first choice, that is not so of the member boards here though ;)

We are doing the Flam railway but would be grateful of some info on other ports

Bergen, Gieranger, Stavanger, Alesund, I have seen somewhere on here a video that inspired me to go to the Fjords in the first place but I can't find it, it had a place with lots of Trolls ?

Thanks

Janis

Excellent choice, Eclipse is a fantastic ship. Bergen, Stavanger, Gerainger Alesund are all easy to DIY as the ship docks in the centre. As you are on Eclipse in Gerainger you may also get the Seawalk which means no tendering.

Alesund looked like a beautiful place, but we went on a full day trip to the Trollstigen road and Troll wall which, depsite the awful weather, was stunning.

I have looked at the Troll road and it looks great, trouble is none of the trips offered from the ship appeal to me, maybe we might have to do our own thing

I keep searching for the clips someone put on of their P and O cruise, it looked great, it will give me some ideas if I can find it

Thanks

Janis

Stavanger: Oil Museum - short walk from the dock and surprisingly interesting, walking around the little old streets with the traditional houses is also fun, the Cathedral and lake area. A family on our table at dinner went DIY on the boat trip to the tropical gardens and said it was fab.

In Alesund we did the P&O Troll Road excursion, which was very long and marred by bad weather (thick mist so you could see very little), a dreadful guide and the fact that we didn't get lunch until 3.30 pm! Should have been brilliant, but was a disappointment.

Bergen is great, because once you get the shuttle into the centre of town, all the museums, the cable car, fish market etc. are within a short walk of each other. Cheap place for coffee: 5th floor of the shopping mall on the main street leading towards the cable car and fish market. Free refill if you just have ordinary filter coffee.

Stavanger is a nice place to explore on foot. We normally walk round the old part either morning / afternoon back on board for lunch then the Oil museum and harbour the other. A ,lovely place just to sit and watch the world go by.

I have looked at the Troll road and it looks great, trouble is none of the trips offered from the ship appeal to me, maybe we might have to do our own thing

I keep searching for the clips someone put on of their P and O cruise, it looked great, it will give me some ideas if I can find it

Thanks

Janis

Hi Ruby

Wherever you go in Norway don't forget to build your cairne. This will ensure your safe return to Norway.:D

Hi Ruby

Wherever you go in Norway don't forget to build your cairne. This will ensure your safe return to Norway.:D

I have never heard of that, what is it, I must do it ?:D

I am glad we don't have to rely on doing trips and there is things to see and do in the ports, the cable car in Bergen looks like fun

I just can't wait to see the stunning scenery, I imagine it to be like Kotor which up to now is probably the best I have seen.

Thanks

Janis

I thought Bergen had a Funicular railway not a cable car? Am I mistaken:confused: Either way if you want to ride it then it is probably a good idea to get off the ship nice and early as there was a very large queue for it when we visited. We took a walk partway up the hill instead, it was a nice sunny day and great for getting photos of the town with the ship in the distance

Edited by alvin moondust

I thought Bergen had a Funicular railway not a cable car? Am I mistaken:confused: Either way if you want to ride it then it is probably a good idea to get off the ship nice and early as there was a very large queue for it when we visited. We took a walk partway up the hill instead, it was a nice sunny day and great for getting photos of the town with the ship in the distance

It's a funicular. When you get to the top there is a cafe etc etc and lots of nice walks through the woods. I walked to a quiet lake and just sat and enjoyed the tranquility.

ps - there are even street lights on the main woodland trails :D

Well I finally booked 8 nights to the Fjords May 2nd

I have been thinking about it for a while and after such encouraging comments on here about how wonderful it is I did it

Only thing is I have 'jumped' ship and will be on Celebrity Eclipse, It is no secret that although I have enjoyed my P and P cruises Celebrity is my first choice, that is not so of the member boards here though ;)

We are doing the Flam railway but would be grateful of some info on other ports

Bergen, Gieranger, Stavanger, Alesund, I have seen somewhere on here a video that inspired me to go to the Fjords in the first place but I can't find it, it had a place with lots of Trolls ?

Thanks

Janis

I think this might be what you may have seen

https://vimeo.com/48117653. I think its by jo and rob

I have never heard of that, what is it, I must do it ?:D

I am glad we don't have to rely on doing trips and there is things to see and do in the ports, the cable car in Bergen looks like fun

I just can't wait to see the stunning scenery, I imagine it to be like Kotor which up to now is probably the best I have seen.

Thanks

Janis

Hi Janis

Been to kotor and been to Norway. Kotor has a fjord, sun and sewage smells.

First time I went to Norway, at the end of a two week cruise we were all saying "oh no, not another stunning view to look at". Honestly, Norway has the most stunning scenery and I cant wait to go back at end of May.

Hi Janis

Been to kotor and been to Norway. Kotor has a fjord, sun and sewage smells.

First time I went to Norway, at the end of a two week cruise we were all saying "oh no, not another stunning view to look at". Honestly, Norway has the most stunning scenery and I cant wait to go back at end of May.

I know it is going to be amazing, we have a balcony so the first thing I will see is those fantastic sights, got an amazing deal to to so that makes it all the sweeter :D

Hi, to sort out any confusion, Bergen has both a cable car and a funicular

http://www.ulriken643.no/en/

http://www.floibanen.com/experience/

They go up different mountains, but you can get to the funicular on foot whereas you need to get a bus to the cable car. Hope that helps, Sue

Thanks Sue

I am going to try for the Fenicular and hope it isn't too busy

Janis

We went on the funicular at Bergen in early may last year - we weren't there too early (10/10.30ish) but being early season we didn't have to queue very long at all (about 15 mins). It was sunny and bright but very cold.

Have a lovely cruise - I was blown away by the scenery and the people are lovely and nearly all speak good English.

Edited by P&O SUE

We went on the funicular at Bergen in early may last year - we weren't there too early (10/10.30ish) but being early season we didn't have to queue very long at all (about 15 mins). It was sunny and bright but very cold.

Have a lovely cruise - I was blown away by the scenery and the people are lovely and nearly all speak good English.

Thanks Sue :)

Agreed, lovely people and don't forget to use the Norwegion phrases that you have learnt like hello, thank you, please and goodbye all said in Norwegian. A bit of effort goes a long way:)